Air conditioner just quit

Further

My  Trane AC (old home) was 4 years old and it quit.  Called the tech, and it was still under warranty.   A mouse chewed some low voltage wires in the condenser unit.  That wasn't covered by the warranty.  But the repair was splicing 2 wires back together.   I sealed the compartment so the wires were safe from critters. 

32 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

My  Trane AC (old home) was 4 years old and it quit.  Called the tech, and it was still under warranty.   A mouse chewed some low voltage wires in the condenser unit.  That wasn't covered by the warranty.  But the repair was splicing 2 wires back together.   I sealed the compartment so the wires were safe from critters. 

No Orkin Man?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

And I must have poked the wrong button on the computer too.

Any way, I noticed the condenser fan sounded a little loud when I was out water plants, and now it just hums.

And I really don't feel like working on it right now

:(

A little WD on the fan motor might revive it. Fan motors can run until they are so dirty and gummed up that they stall out. Clean them up and good as new. I had to clean all the exhaust fans in the restrooms at the motel I worked at. Half of them had stopped working entirely, the rest were noisy. They all came back to life.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

A little WD on the fan motor might revive it. Fan motors can run until they are so dirty and gummed up that they stall out. Clean them up and good as new. I had to clean all the exhaust fans in the restrooms at the motel I worked at. Half of them had stopped working entirely, the rest were noisy. They all came back to life.

It ain't the fan, the compressor that lives below the fan don't want to go. Maybe just a capacitor, maybe...

Well it needs fixed

Guy is coming tomorrow, has a good reputation, let him handle it.

6 hours ago, Further said:

New capacitor on the compressor motor, clean the coils, check the pressures, general tune up / check up stuff.

160.00 dollars, I'm happy.

Do you remember when you changed the points, plugs, and capacitor on all the cars every year? The capacitor would actually last many years but common practice was to change them when you changed the points. If you work with a bunch of yeahoos like I did you learn to never pick up an old capacitor someone left lying around.

• Haha 2