Are you depressed as hell?

Randomguy

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I think I am mostly tired, but feel mentally roughed up at the moment.   Do you have days where everything seems to be all roadblocks and each decision has negative consequences for either way you decide?

Did that power lifter rough you up? I knew it. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

I am sure I will be perky after some good sleep.

I talked to my buddy in Colorado, his thumbs are all screwed up and he can't shift on a roadbike or hang onto a mountainbike bar without lots of pain, or really do yard work without pain.  It is weird that at 60, he was trying to plan out how long he would be able to continue to ride.  The whole time I have known him, he has always been doing ironman triathlons or major endurance stuff.  He is always bummed out, and since I talk to him a lot, some of it bleeds over I suppose.   I try to be supportive and tell him at our age, if you aren't depressed about something then you just aren't paying attention, although I have always been cheerier in the whole thought process.

Coronavirus will make anyone morose, I suppose.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Further said:

Ya know the stuff the carp eat ?

What Do Carp Eat?

The next thing to remember is that carp eat both plant and animal material and are equipped with teeth inside their throats that can crush relatively hard objects like the shells of snails. Their diet consists of the larvae of various water borne insects, small crustaceans, worms, plants and algae.

They are quite opportunistic and will eat small, dead fish and fish eggs as well. In doing so they can pose quite a considerable threat to other fish species sharing the same environment as them.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I think I am mostly tired, but feel mentally roughed up at the moment.   Do you have days where everything seems to be all roadblocks and each decision has negative consequences for either way you decide?

When I worked, yes.    Now.. not so much, almost never. 

On Sunday I unexpectedly a guy I worked with before I retired.  He told me something like... 'You look 10 years younger an SO much more relaxed."  That has happened several times now where different people i have meet have told me nearly the same thing.

I guess I never knew how much stress the different problems at work caused me to be just worn out.. tired.. etc...  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

When I worked, yes.    Now.. not so much, almost never. 

On Sunday I unexpectedly a guy I worked with before I retired.  He told me something like... 'You look 10 years younger an SO much more relaxed."  That has happened several times now where different people i have meet have told me nearly the same thing.

I guess I never knew how much stress the different problems at work caused me to be just worn out.. tired.. etc...  

I'm hoping for this, but it's a long way off

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

This. I think most Americans suck it up and tell themselves bullshit about how fine they are. The healthier ones acknowledge it. I think @Airehead and @petitepedal do a good job of letting it out. 

We once had lunch with a guy who had retaared aboot a year earlier. He was one of those people who look sort of emaciated from having lost so much weight. He said he was able to eat much more better now that he had more time, but it seemed like he had really stressed aboot work and the change had really been good for him.  It was odd though.  Definitely had to be good for him to loose the excess weight, but it seemed to be too much too quickly. 

I must be one of the lucky ones. No matter what’s going on at work, once i leave the office for the day, i never give it another thought. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

his thumbs are all screwed up and he can't shift on a roadbike

If it is JUST shifting and not the hanging on to the road bike handlebars, then Di2 is a NO BRAINER.  Seems like he might have other issues, but I don't ever use my my thumbs to shift and Di2 also lets you place "blips" or random extra shifters in other places beyond just the normal location.

• Heart 2

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

We once had lunch with a guy who had retaared aboot a year earlier. He was one of those people who look sort of emaciated from having lost so much weight. He said he was able to eat much more better now that he had more time, but it seemed like he had really stressed aboot work and the change had really been good for him.  It was odd though.  Definitely had to be good for him to loose the excess weight, but it seemed to be too much too quickly. 

Maybe he's doing more exercise but it's become part of his routine, he didn't tell you.

• Heart 1

I wouldn't say I'm depressed, but  I'm more anxious.   I realized that even though going into work can be a bother, there was a benefit to seeing other people.  It made me feel like there were people around to help and they could help distract me.  It's more isolating working from home, even though there are some advantages as well.  All the Covid restrictions impede me from doing a lot of the things I'd normally do for fun and relief.  I haven't seen my family in some time, vacations were cancelled, and I haven't seen friends I'd normally visit.  I need to make more of an effort to get out and do something to change my environment every so often.  I stopped watching the news for a bit because all of the stories were just depressing.

Have you been seeing RO? 

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I'm not in good spirits as much as usual.  When another vehicle does something stupid near me, a shopper leaves her cart in the middle of the aisle blocking everyone else, etc. I get much more wound up about than normal.  And the news in general isn't helping me besides that about the pandemic.

I've been physically dragging, falling asleep earlier in the evening and sleeping through the night, sometimes waking up with a slight sore throat - I think from the yardwork spreading pollen, etc. and feeling drained.

I've been doing yardwork and little else outside.  I need to start taking Jakes for long walks again and doing other stuff to break the monotony.

At least my brother's holding a pool party Saturday.  I have to find out if steamed crabs are available at the place I usually get them.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Actually, my mental and physical health has been improving throughout the rise of covid.  It seems working from home and social isolation is actually good for me!

I've lost over 50 lbs and been keeping it off, while transitioning to a healthier, whole foods and low sugar diet that's actually quite satisfying.  I ran half marathon about a month ago, and am riding as good as i ever have...  I'm probably in better shape than I have been since my early 20s and it feels great.

Mentally, I've mostly shaken the funk I was in the second half of last year, beginning of this year.  Online therapy, diet, exercise, exploration of philosophy and spirituality have combined to give me a much more positive and stable base mood.  I still have bad moments, even days, but they don't drag me into the depths these days.

20200621_141704.jpg?width=903&height=677

Rock and Roll Rev.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

Have you been seeing RO? 

No, that is part of the problem.  I will have her this weekend, though, but it took a lot to get the ex onboard.  She is thoroughly freaked out by the virus, public transport, private transport, any person that has interacted in any way with the outside world in any capacity.  I deleted a bunch of stuff in this post, just realize that one parent having massive anxiety without the possibility of realistic input going into a closed system is highly problematic.

• Sad 2

On 7/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, MickinMD said:

At least my brother's holding a pool party Saturday.  I have to find out if steamed crabs are available at the place I usually get them.

I’m glad you’re trying to go with the blue crabs. If you get them, you’ll be glad you did! Get some Natty Bo to go with. 

On 7/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, Reverend_Maynard said:

Actually, my mental and physical health has been improving throughout the rise of covid.  It seems working from home and social isolation is actually good for me!

I've lost over 50 lbs and been keeping it off, while transitioning to a healthier, whole foods and low sugar diet that's actually quite satisfying.  I ran half marathon about a month ago, and am riding as good as i ever have...  I'm probably in better shape than I have been since my early 20s and it feels great.

Mentally, I've mostly shaken the funk I was in the second half of last year, beginning of this year.  Online therapy, diet, exercise, exploration of philosophy and spirituality have combined to give me a much more positive and stable base mood.  I still have bad moments, even days, but they don't drag me into the depths these days.

20200621_141704.jpg?width=903&height=677

Kayak therapy 👍🏻

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

No, they are cracking down on all the illegal fireworks here, of which there have been a lot.

I have none.  I have bubbles, though.

How about a Ruger to shoot off at 2:00 am? That’s how they do here in ABQ. First, the m80s go off all week long, then the law-abiding ground fountains and cones, then the kids play with sparklers, then the illegal sky-high ones go off until about 1:00 am, and then it’s 2nd Amendment time! 

30 minutes ago, roadsue said:

How about a Ruger to shoot off at 2:00 am?

In NYC it's usually cheap revolvers bought down on the corner.  They shoot them off any time... as opposed to Chicago where they like to do most of their shooting on Friday and Saturday nights.