Did you know...

Randomguy

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Is there something that surprising?  I've heard a number of the bike stores are doing ok.  Maybe a national chain might be different.

Performance bike went BK in 2019, (or was it 18?) and closed all of their retail stores & shut down online sales.  The company that bought them relaunched their online presence but it wasn’t well advertised.

I can see where some people would be surprised they are in biz.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Yup, shocking even.  They went up in flames a few years back fairly spectacularly.

Really? It seemed more like a prolonged fizzle :(  Victims of the bricks and mortar over-extension that has hit many retailers.  "Lucky" for them is that they had/have a relatively robust on-line presence (multiple ones like Nashbar, too), but as long as the B&M were in competition with the on-line side of things, there was like a LOT of inefficiency.  

I liked my local Performance and would often drop in there for random stuff.  I certainly bought more from them online, though as sizes or in stock was not as variable online. 

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It seemed more like a prolonged fizzle

Maybe so, but they never let on that they were in even a fair amount of unmanageable trouble until it broke in BRAIN that the big bankruptcy/shutdown was occurring and was occurring NOW.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I still heart my Nashbar retro pump. I wish I hadn’t distorted the base bY running over it. :(

I have a Nashbar Red pump. It was a pita to switch from preseta to shrader and back. Worked great when I just used it on Presta.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I have a Nashbar Red pump. It was a pita to switch from preseta to shrader and back. Worked great when I just used it on Presta.

I had to replace the hose and chuck. I used a Silca brass chuck that works well for presta but I have to screw on for Schrader. That is sort of a pita. Actually threaded presto is hard on the grommet so I have to replace that fairly often. But it is hard to find smooth stemmed presta tubes.