idiotic trail, stupid geological names

shootingstar

I live in a hotbed province...probably biggest gun lovers/owners in Canada...at least it's not hiding.  I guess.  Also some folks want province to become an independent country.  (Dumber than dumb.) Then some people think why go after oil firms for removal of hundreds of abandoned oil wells which pollute soil and air (sour gas)...etc. List goes on.

Then today I read about this.... https://globalnews.ca/news/7126290/bow-valley-mountain-trail-names/ I haven't hiked in those areas, except the Bow Valley is huge and I've been in parts.   Otherwise I would have remembered the dumb names.  I'm sorry...those names are insulting.  History is sometimes has stupid results, and can be shameful, tragic and disrespectufl.  Please... and the arguments about being part of history and leaving it alone. Sure.  That's why we should always teach history, have books, original journals, the archival photos of death, damage, abuse, etc...  That's why we have museums.

Alberta’s climbing community is making a push to change some controversial names for both mountains and rock climbing trails in the province.

Some of the names being noted as in need of change include a mountain that is known as Squaw’s Tit near Canmore, as well as a series of trails in the Bow Valley called The White Imperialist near Grassi Lakes which also features sub-routes with names like No Tickee No Laundry, Chinatown Left and Chinatown Right.

There are also some with sexist names in the province, for example, another trail in the Bow Valley called Naked Teenage Girls.

“Some of them are derogatory, they’re racist, they’re sexist,” Brandon Pullan, the editor of Gripped Climbing Magazine, said.

The push for the names to be changed has been going on for several years, according to Pullan.

............................................................................................................................................................

One of the more problematic peaks is known by climbers as Squaw’s Tit, one of the largest peaks near Canmore, also called just The Tit by many. However, that name is not an official one — but similar to the trails, that is what it’s been known as in the climbing community for decades.

“[Squaw’s Tit] is an informal name,” Jude Daniels, Canmore resident said “I summited it back in 2006. It was one of my first ones, that’s when I first heard this name, and I was shocked.....................
Now, in an attempt to pick a name that will be approved by officials, Daniels has been working with the Stoney Nation about whether they had a traditional name for the mountain.

“Every time I see that peak, and I literally live next door to it… to the left of me is a peak of me called Squaw’s Tit. To the right of me is a mountain called Lady MacDonald. I think that speaks volumes for the kind of thinking that arose at the time of the informal naming of that peak.

In Canmore town, within Rocky Mountains area, approx. 90 km. west of Calgary, you can see Ha Ling Peak.  It used be called Chinaman's Peak.  Here is the story of the man,  who worked  for the CPR, is he Canadian Pacific Railway. If you may allow me to give history:  the immigration laws in Canada and U.S. in late 1800's into early 1900's did NOT permit Chinese men to bring their wives and children.  The governments/public were afraid the countries would be overrun with the Chinese (or aka take away jobs from locals at the time. Doesn't that sound familiar?)

Ha Ling Peak was the official name given to a peak south of Canmore, and east of Whiteman’s Pass, Whiteman’s Pond and Whiteman’s Crag, in 1997 after having been called Chinaman’s Peak. In 1896, Ha Ling was a Chinese cook for the CPR who was bet 50 dollars that he couldn’t climb the peak in less than 10 hours. He left at 7 a.m. and was back by lunch. Nobody believed his story, so he led doubters to the summit where he then planted a larger flag beside the original, so it was visible from Canmore.

Before Ha Ling’s ascent, it was locally known as The Beehive. Local historian Jerry Auld uncovered why he climbed the peak on the day he did, which you can read about here.

Auld explained: “Ha Ling came from Hunan province, which is very mountainous. The east, south and west sides of the province are surrounded by mountains and hills, such as the Wuling Mountains to the northwest, the Xuefeng Mountains to the west, the Nanling Mountains to the south, and the Luoxiao Mountains to the east. And then I found out that the date in October corresponded to the ninth day of the ninth month of the Chinese lunar calendar. Since nine is a masculine number, heavy in the ‘yang’ energy, this date was auspicious for an abundance of energy, and was the so-called double-yang festival. It’s more commonly referred to as the Double Ninth Festival. There is an old legend in Hunan that the festival celebrates the occasion that a monster appeared in the province in pre-history and was wreaking devastation. A hero told everyone to climb to the top of a nearby peak for safety until he was able to dispatch the monster. So, ever after, on the Double Yang festival, young men would climb mountains to commemorate the feat.”

Ha Ling Peak is famous for climbers thanks to the dozen rock climbs up the north face, each of which will take climbers the majority of a day to complete. The most popular of the routes being the Northeast Face III 5.6 and Sisyphus Summits IV 5.10d.

8 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The tit name shouldn't be considered bad: a mountain resemble's that part of a woman's anatomy more than any other human appendage.

After, the "Grand Tetons" is French for "Big Tits."

There are 3 of them and aptly named from the west side in Tetonia, ID.  Fact is, those Mountain Men were horny devils. I wouldn't want to be a sheep back in the day.