Pennsylvania State Police Sued by Feds

Nate

The Pennsylvania State Police are being sued by the Obama Administration because they require men and women to pass the same fitness test

Well, so much for believing in equality

here what the test consists of:

"Pennsylvania State Police used a physical fitness test consisting of five events: a 300-meter run; sit-ups; push-ups; a vertical jump; and a 1.5-mile run. Applicants were required to pass each event to continue in the selection process for entry-level troopers."

from the article:

"Because female applicants failed the 2003 physical fitness test and the revised 2009 test at "statistically higher rates than male applicants, female applicants were less likely to proceed through the selection process and thus less likely to be hired as entry-level troopers," DOJ stated in its lawsuit"

So we're all equal, but one group needs "special help" to actually perform equally?

and as a citizen, I have the right to expect the state Police to be physically able to do their job, right?

The test doesn't seem too severe, either. A lot like the annual fitness test in the Navy from what I remember.

So this is America today....you can't perform up to the standards set for you?

don't worry, Uncle Sambo will be there to help you :whistle:

Isn't becoming a police officer or fire fighter a one time test?  Kinda like a driving test, but different?  When I got a drivers license 30+ years ago I was a pretty bad driver, I'd like to think with experience I've gotten better.  For cops, some of them are pretty large, I can't believe they'd pass the test now.  Why don't we retest them every year and fire them if they fail?

Also, I like brownies and taking naps.

• Heart 1

What about us stupid people?  As a group, we have always been discriminated against because we don't do well on tests.  Tests are hard.

We should do away with all testing and just flip a coin to see who gets a job.  That would be the only fair way to decide.   :)  

What about us stupid people?  As a group, we have always been discriminated against because we don't do well on tests.  Tests are hard.

We should do away with all testing and just flip a coin to see who gets a job.  That would be the only fair way to decide.   :)  

Don't tell that to the current Admin....they will probably go for it.

I went throughout the Fire Dept test, and it is a lot harder then the state trooper test ( Also tested for and passed)

The trooper test gives you 18 min to run the mile and a half. A fast walk would be good enough! The test was a joke..... I was done on a small obstacle corse consisting of 30 push ups, 15 pull ups, monkey bars, 8 foot wall to get over (included a 3 foot box for help), 30 sit ups, and a few other small things you had to do.. (been about 9 years since I took the test)

I don't know why no one could pass it.. not like they have to really do much work "chasing" people... 

you know, there's "equal rights as a citizen" and then there is "we are the same" 

the first one, I believe in, but the second takes away our individuality and is actually a lie

This is what I say...if chicks want to be equal, they need to do some of the hard stuff, too

For once, we agree.

If you are pregnant and can't do what your job requires, you shouldn't be able to work. Why should your inability to keep your legs closed cause me to do more work?

Women should stay at home and do their woman's work.

well, yea, we don't really need the WNBA, but I'm not against the WNBA

I really don't begrudge anybody pursuing anything, but people got to realize that just wanting something doesn't mean you are going to be any good at it. that's just how it is

Hell, I'd like to be a doctor, but I'm not even close to being qualified

so what od we do? Make me get it together and go to med school, or lower the bar so I can grab my chainsaw and get to doctoring?

The WNBA doesn't exist because it's required to by law.
The NBA started it because they think it's good for business. If women grow up playing a sport, and seeing professional women playing the sport, the might have more interest in the sport as adults. The WNBA might never make a dime in profit, but it could increase the NBA's profits in the long run.

The NBA started it because they think it's good for business. If women grow up playing a sport, and seeing professional women playing the sport, the might have more interest in the sport as adults. The WNBA might never make a dime in profit, but it could increase the NBA's profits in the long run.

To tell you the truth, I grew up playing basketball.  But for some reason, the NBA has never interested me much.  I used to love college, but now with all the one and dones, I have lost interest in that as well.   :(

If the WNBA players would start wearing bikinis like the girls in beach volleyball, I might watch.   :D

This is why I don't have a problem with the WNBA, but the existence of the WNBA shows that we recognize at some level of society  that men and women aren't the same physically. Damn good thing, too, if you ask me

So when the government takes a physical test and demands that men and women both pass it at the same statistical rates, it isn't basing this demand in reality but in politics

So when the government takes a physical test and demands that men and women both pass it at the same statistical rates, it isn't basing this demand in reality but in politics

This is why the coin flip method would work so well.  No discrimination at all.  Everyone treated equally.  Even the stupid and incompetent have a chance in my new coin flip world.   :)

This is why I don't have a problem with the WNBA, but the existence of the WNBA shows that we recognize at some level of society that men and women aren't the same physically. Damn good thing, too, if you ask me

So when the government takes a physical test and demands that men and women both pass it at the same statistical rates, it isn't basing this demand in reality but in politics

I'm all for equality, but you have to BE equal, to be treated equal.

Why is there no mention of a sandwich-making portion of this state trooper test?   DH would pass all portions of the test, including the food-prep part.

What if handicapped folks want to be state troopers?

I hate to sound like a broken record.  COIN FLIP, people.  It solves everything.

What if handicapped folks want to be state troopers?

I'm not sure what the policy is now, but when we had a Republican administration the official reply was "Tough Shit"