700c clinchers

jsharr

So the bike I gave to Ryan has a set of Mavic Open Pro Ultegras on it.  Bike is an 05 and I bought the wheel set used.
Before we took apart the front wheel, it felt very crunchy and upon tear down, there appeared to be two bearing that had somehow gotten from the race into the body of the front hub.

Cleaned it all up and reassembled, but had some end play unless I set the bearing tension pretty high.

So, would it be better to get a new front hub and have the wheel relaced, or buy a new front wheel to match the rear or buy a new wheel set?

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So the bike I gave to Ryan has a set of Mavic Open Pro Ultegras on it.  Bike is an 05 and I bought the wheel set used.
Before we took apart the front wheel, it felt very crunchy and upon tear down, there appeared to be two bearing that had somehow gotten from the race into the body of the front hub.

Cleaned it all up and reassembled, but had some end play unless I set the bearing tension pretty high.

So, would it be better to get a new front hub and have the wheel relaced, or buy a new front wheel to match the rear or buy a new wheel set?

If nothing else, a rebuild - by you and him (maybe a wheelbuilding class) - would pay dividends in the future just like the bike build has built his bike skills & confidence.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I think a big part of your decision making is what’s available?  If you get the hub then you might also need spokes & nipples too right?  Is it all readily available?   But then are wheels & wheel sets available right now?

I’d say get a hub & do a rebuild assuming you can source parts.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I do not have the equipment or tools to do a wheel rebuild and not sure I want to invest in all that.

I can true a wheel that is a bit out of round but my skills end there.

Make it a "future" project for post COVID times.  I can imagine next year, the Park Tool or other classes like a "build a wheel" one will be popping back up again.  They supply the tools and instruction.  You just need the parts - old or new.

I took a basic class many years ago from Bill down in Alexandria. Not sure if @Old No. 7 has met him, but a buddy of mine build up his Campy wheels a while back with Bill.  You likely have a "Bill" near you????

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2020 at 9:50 AM, jsharr said:

...a couple of bearings inside the body of a front hub don't have much potential for damaging anything. usually happens when the hub is being services, and whoever puts it back together is not atentive to keeeping them in place when tightening the cones.  If the races on the cones and inside the hub look relatively OK, and the axle is not bent (roll it on a flat surface like plate glass to check), your best bet is to simply run the bike with some mild preload on the front bearings ,(by mild I mean not much), and see what happens.

Since this is all done by feel, I con't know what is meant by "some end play" and "bearing tension pretty high" in your case.  But that is what I would do. Then watch it to see what happens.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/2/2020 at 6:16 PM, Razors Edge said:

Make it a "future" project for post COVID times.  I can imagine next year, the Park Tool or other classes like a "build a wheel" one will be popping back up again.  They supply the tools and instruction.  You just need the parts - old or new.

I took a basic class many years ago from Bill down in Alexandria. Not sure if @Old No. 7 has met him, but a buddy of mine build up his Campy wheels a while back with Bill.  You likely have a "Bill" near you????

Met him? I know Bill very well. He teaches a hands on wheel building class that I’ve been meaning to take for a while. He has a number of videos on YouTube that are worth checking out. Look for Bill Mould.