I am buying a bike

Randomguy

6 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

This is not the best time to buy a bike. Demand is pushing prices up. Supply is down.

The best time to buy a bike is when you have no bike. 

That said, you are correct.  People are asking fortunes for POS 18 year old aluminum framed 105 bikes (I saw exactly this yesterday, they were asking $1,200), for instance, it is horrendous.  People are listing bikes and describing them as "in excellent shape, but with cosmetic dent in top tube" that looks like it was crumpled, and asking for the same as you would expect for a pristine bike that has a thousand or less miles on it.  New low to mid-range bikes are sold out completely. 

I am in a cash-crunch, but being blobby, depressed, and needing movement to help knees and such makes this a pressing issue.  I will have to take the long view and find a nice bike that won't depreciate much.  A used higher-end bike of recent vintage where I won't take a loss if I have to do a quick sale is probably going to have to be it.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I hear NYC has lots of bargains these days.  Folks are leaving the city for good, so RG might be the only customer left!

Not a lot have left for good, and any that left temporarily or for good have taken their bikes.  Everyone is in the same boat where all the gym-goers, yoga nuts, and swimmers only have a couple fitness options, which are run or bike.  Running is out for me because of the knees, feet, hip issues, and I suspect lots of other non-runners are non-runners for a reason.  No bargains on bikes to be found.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Everyone is in the same boat where all the gym-goers, yoga nuts, and swimmers only have a couple fitness options, which are run or bike.  Running is out for me because of the knees, feet, hip issues, and I suspect lots of other non-runners are non-runners for a reason. 

SWIMMING!!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No, the best time is when they are on sale - preferable CLOSEOUT - and practically begging you to take one off their hands!

It's how you get a sweet carbon Hei Hei for the price of an average aluminum MTB.

But when you have NO bike is still a great time to get one.

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

I’ll ship you my Bianchi via nirone if you pay for me to have someone pack it up and the shipping. I haven’t ridden it in a year at least, and I don’t see myself riding it anymore. I prefer the Iseo. 

:) 

This makes me happy for the offer, and sad that you aren't riding it  I think I have a line on something, though, I will let you know if it falls through!

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

:) 

This makes me happy for the offer, and sad that you aren't riding it  I think I have a line on something, though, I will let you know if it falls through!

I don’t have as much fun riding more than 30 miles. 

4 hours ago, roadsue said:

I’ll ship you my Bianchi via nirone if you pay for me to have someone pack it up and the shipping. I haven’t ridden it in a year at least, and I don’t see myself riding it anymore. I prefer the Iseo. 

Well that offer beats the heck oot of my 40 year old bike offer. :D