Local bank joys

Dirtyhip

I guess I was wrong about banks being open on July 3rd in observance. Stock market was closed today. I thought others would follow. I checked my bank & they were open today

I do most deposits by mobile deposit. I think the limit is $5k though so @Dirtyhip is out of luck. At least drive through is safer

I once deposited a check that had an "extended hold" placed on it. I was upset because the hold was installed after the fact by some bank employee. It wasn't that much money and the check was written on a local bank. The hold notice I received with the deposit outlined the normal hold time frames. The nature of an extended hold installed was not disclosed when I opened my account. It wasn't even that much money. I would have thought they could just call the bank and see if the check was good. I'm still pissed about the affair.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

We went through the drive through at the credit union. I needed to put the cash in for our close that is happening at the end of the month.  Gave myself some extra time, cause I knew it might take time to clear.  

At the bank, my husband was talking to the teller, who I could not see, from my cozy passenger location.  She says is "the Mrs. there?"  I popped over in my spot so she could see me.  We were in lane two.  She said "Oh, I was thinking about you recently.  Blah Blah.  How are you both?"  The normal question came up.  Are you still biking? People always ask that.  Do they ask you guys too?  Is biking so strange?  Lots of people have fascination with the sport, but always say they could never do it.  Interesting.  

So, my check had to get a hold and she had to call the manager.  It wasn't THAT big.  A bank can't handle a few tens of thousands?  It wasn't 100.  

It was cute how we went to a local place.  The person working there, used to work at my old bank.  Small town.  I love this. I was supposed to put my ID in the suck tube thing, but I didn't.  She just made me lean over from my spot,  :)

Holding checks.  My first adventure came in 1975.

I was a struggling IIT grad student running out of money when, stopped at red light, a drunk ran into my rear end.  The 68 Camaro was still driveable but the rear right quarter panel and rear right light damaged.

I had $1.25 to my name when the $523.16 check came. I still remember the amount! Instead of driving my car from IIT to downtown where I couldn't afford parking, I spent 45 cents on the Elevated Train/Subway to get to the bank.  The bank said it would take 5 days to clear.  It was from an f'ing major insurance company and from that bank!  I declined to wait, left with the check and spent another 45 cents to take the "L" back to IIT.

With 35 cents in my pocket another student named John, who was from Chicago, walked into the lab. I asked, "John, do you have $523.16 in a bank account so you can cash a check for me?"

That's how I got my money which I needed to make it through the Summer when scholarship grad students weren't getting paid for teaching assistantships but had to be there to do research.  I spent $45 to buy a rear light lens assembly, bang and jack the panel roughly back into shape and repair the car myself, with a banged up rear quarter panel still showing but I was solvent again!