Because it's time, I bought one of those health tracker watches...

Dottleshead

I wanted a glorified pedometer with GPS and bought it. It's time I get back into shape as I have had enough warning signs to get there. I want something that tells me to get off my ass and tracks my progress. So I go to Costco today to invest in myself and bring the watch home and need to sync it up via their website. The most pathetic user experience I've come across. For that fucking price, they can put a sentence in a setup flyer telling us the most common problems for syncing up. I had to spend 20 minutes online to figure out why my expensive purchase doesn't sync up after spending about 40 trying unsuccessfully. I still don't have it synced up. I am about ready to shitcan this Fitbit and go with somebody else. That's how strongly I believe in their incompetence. I'm not going to rant but another clear case of a bunch dickhead programmers and tech staff overlooking a new user base w/o knowledge of how this works. Seriously, I work at a tech company and this oversight is so egregious I should take it back. I have already spent an hour on this bullshit and I am going to post a review and let them have it.

• Awesome 1

@Dottles my trainer sessions would not have done anything if I was not cheap...I went to my first thinking..yeah 4 to 6 sessions then f-you..I cannot afford this. I also left my first session thinking if I wanna get my monies worth...I better damn well work out before my next session... What do you want? How hard do you want it? How much are you willing to pay in $$$ and in time... Is it worth it...or would you you rather become a slug??? Choices.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

@Dottles my trainer sessions would not have done anything if I was not cheap...I went to my first thinking..yeah 4 to 6 sessions then f-you..I cannot afford this. I also left my first session thinking if I wanna get my monies worth...I better damn well work out before my next session... What do you want? How hard do you want it? How much are you willing to pay in $$$ and in time... Is it worth it...or would you you rather become a slug??? Choices.

Sorry but your response is not hitting a chord.  I'm glad you have found something that works for you.  I'd argue I have more athletic background than most of the folks in here.  I understand how it all works.  I'm dealing with something you wouldn't understand and I really don't feel is necessary for me to get into.  I'm glad you have found something that works for you.

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

One word

Garmin

This. 

Garmin offers a ton a really cool data to look at.  The higher up the models you go, the more data you get.  My running watch is amazing.  It's not designed to compete with Apple or Samsung as a smartwatch, but those guys can't touch the analytics I get for my runs.

I'm not a runner, but a jogger, but still every run I go on is influenced by the data I review when I get back.  Is my stride too short, too slow, vertically too high.  How is my breathing, my heartrate.  So much good info to help me improve my next run.

Sure, like serious cyclists, there are plenty of serious runners who don't need this stuff.  I don't need it either, but it helps motivate me.

Look into a Fenix if you want the granddaddy of them all.  Or the Forerunner, especially the ones with music, are pretty awesome.  The Venu looks pretty cool.

They all will show basic like steps.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Sorry I was harsh Dottie..it ain't about going to a trainer or buying a gadget...it is about doing it...and if the tracker motivates you..go for it! 

Again, I suspect I have a lot more experience in this i area than you do. But I'm glad I can help you reinforce your own attitudes and goals.

7 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

Which FitBit model?  I hope it continues to sync and doesn't require re-syncing periodically.  I was not pleased when Google bought FitBit.

I purchased the Fitbit Charge 4 at Costco.  I did read something about one of their models having trouble resyncing.  I went with Fitbit for a couple reasons but I suppose the number one reason was I could buy it at Costco.  It was the cheapest anywhere and they threw in two different band sets. And Costco has a really good return policy,.  

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I would but one, but it just makes me sick to spend money on it.

It's gross.  I'm probably not going to use much of the features on it but maybe 4 or 5 things on it.  But if it keeps me 'regular' then it was worth it.  If I fail, then it was not only a financial waste but a human waste. I have a lot riding on it -- and if it takes a wrist watch to get me to the promise land then so be it.  If I continue to sit on my ass then I deserve what's coming to me.

• Hugs 1

Aside from my own vanity, my biggest motivator was my dad. 15 years ago, I saw my head on my dad's body when he was my age. I saw all the health issues he was dealing with and I didn't want to go down that road. I made changes. 

If a watch is a tool to help you, more power to you. But the biggest motivator is inside you. 

• Heart 2

On 7/3/2020 at 10:28 PM, petitepedal said:

I use Map my walk (ride..run..wharever)

I use the map my ride app, or I just go. When running I just run, I have a polar heart rate monitor but the batteries are dead. I would be interested in seeing what my heart rate is these days, one of the blood pressure meds slows down heart rate. When I took a stress test I had a hell of time getting my rate up to 137, I used to run & bike at 140-150 for the long slow work outs.

The most motivating thing I've ever had was an energetic dog. It's hard to ignore a Brittney that it running around the room using the walls as banked corners 

• Heart 1

New phones are fun!
We gave my MiL a Fitbit for Christmas, and then  she had to upgrade her iPhone because the device needed a higher iOS. She didn’t want to get a new phone, so I gave her my iPhone and upgraded for myself. 
I have a Garmin Forerunner. Very useful data about sleep quality, heart rate, and calories, and tracking of bike rides, walks, and weight training. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I'm happy to report that having the watch did motivate me yesterday.  I was able to meet my target steps and had to go out of my way to do it..  Actually, it was educational because I really had to go out of my way.to complete it.  The area I usually walk was about half the distance as I best guessed it to be and therefore had to double up my efforts. So not only did it help me get off my ass and walk -- it helped me get off my ass and walk twice as far.

It starts all over again today and it's raining outside.  Let's see how I do.  

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm happy to report that having the watch did motivate me yesterday.  I was able to meet my target steps and had to go out of my way to do it..  Actually, it was educational because I really had to go out of my way.to complete it.  The area I usually walk was about half the distance as I best guessed it to be and therefore had to double up my efforts. So not only did it help me get off my ass and walk -- it helped me get off my ass and walk twice as far.

It starts all over again today and it's raining outside.  Let's see how I do.  

Take an umbrella. Walk a mall. Do some stairs. 

19 hours ago, groupw said:

If a watch is a tool to help you, more power to you. But the biggest motivator is inside you. 

What you say here is true.  I know the drill as I was pretty motivated most my life.  But I face a new challenge now.  Even with enough signs in my personal life to light a fire under my ass -- my ass has become teflon and doesn't care.  The motivation within has left -- even under dire circumstances for it to return -- and it's not returning.  So I'm trying things. I'm hoping just getting into a walking routine will do it.  I'm hoping having a fluffed up a pedometer will do it.  I'm hoping posting my concerns about it here will do it.  I"m willing to part with the cash to try to get me moving.  And the idea of having a coach or trainer telling me what to do and/or barking orders would most likely get him a punch to his face -- I'm not going that route either.  External people motivators I don't think would ever work for me.  So I'm hoping this digital external motivator does -- after all -- that motivation still comes from within.  

• Heart 1

On 7/3/2020 at 10:23 PM, Dottles said:

I wanted a glorified pedometer with GPS and bought it. It's time I get back into shape as I have had enough warning signs to get there. I want something that tells me to get off my ass and tracks my progress. So I go to Costco today to invest in myself and bring the watch home and need to sync it up via their website. The most pathetic user experience I've come across. For that fucking price, they can put a sentence in a setup flyer telling us the most common problems for syncing up. I had to spend 20 minutes online to figure out why my expensive purchase doesn't sync up after spending about 40 trying unsuccessfully. I still don't have it synced up. I am about ready to shitcan this Fitbit and go with somebody else. That's how strongly I believe in their incompetence. I'm not going to rant but another clear case of a bunch dickhead programmers and tech staff overlooking a new user base w/o knowledge of how this works. Seriously, I work at a tech company and this oversight is so egregious I should take it back. I have already spent an hour on this bullshit and I am going to post a review and let them have it.

Do it, they need feedback or they are just gonna keep doing it.