Have your spending habits changed in the last few months?

Kirby

So with all the staying at home and and pandemic shopping, have your spending habits changed in the last few months?  Are you saving more than usual?  Or perhaps spending more on house stuff and things to keep you cozy and entertained at home?

I've had two vacations canceled so far - got a refund for the more expensive one and rescheduled the weekend away for the fall.  So I saved a bunch on vacation. I'm also spending less on gas and "nice" clothes.   I did get a bunch of  summery lounge clothes, but they're pretty cheap.  I also spent more on groceries when I stocked up at the start of all this.  I never really did spend a lot on eating out at restaurants, so not much difference there.

Overall, I think I probably spent more at first, but overall am spending less than I did before all this started.

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Spending more. We’ve done a fair amount of yard work. Some pricey professional landscaping, other more economical self-home improvements. New fountain. We’ve got our back patio and yard into a pleasant retreat.

image.jpg

648A61D7-D7A8-4C25-A017-55B951873B08.jpeg

at least you don't have to mow lawn on a hill. Your backyard looks like a mansion. I'm certain part of your whole square footage of backyard with patio, would cover half or more of my home.

I think I'm eating out a bit more...meaning some snacks which add up.

However have cancelled a major overseas vacation. I'm delaying buying a pair of new running shoes...I really need to try on different pairs in person since I wear a custom orthotic.

Other than above, no, my buying habits haven't changed. It does give me a clue what retirement expenses will be like (plus allied health services when my work benefit won't be there).  I'm not going to be a retiree that plans to spend a ton of money travelling annually.

10 hours ago, Kirby said:

I've had two vacations canceled so far

Yep - we had the Spain trip canceled and the CA trip is looking iffy. Normally would have other trips lined up by now. 

Took a little of the Spain $$$ and bought more bike than originally intended (but still kept it sane).  With the wackiness of the economy and the political picture nowadays, while I could afford the S-Works, it didn't make "sense" with the future clouded in mystery for the next 6-18months :(

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

So with all the staying at home and and pandemic shopping, have your spending habits changed in the last few months?  Are you saving more than usual?  Or perhaps spending more on house stuff and things to keep you cozy and entertained at home?

I've had two vacations canceled so far - got a refund for the more expensive one and rescheduled the weekend away for the fall.  So I saved a bunch on vacation. I'm also spending less on gas and "nice" clothes.   I did get a bunch of  summery lounge clothes, but they're pretty cheap.  I also spent more on groceries when I stocked up at the start of all this.  I never really did spend a lot on eating out at restaurants, so not much difference there.

Overall, I think I probably spent more at first, but overall am spending less than I did before all this started.

I think the opposite has happened with me.  For the first 3 months we were saving big time.  But then I wanted to get things done around the house.  Then a vacation opportunity opened up and even though we drove -- it was NOT cheap.  Then there was the ant problem and now a fitness problem.  I sure hope things get less spendy.

My wife is frugal by nature so we are not spending a whole lot. She’s doing some DIY home improvements but paint is cheap. 
She’s putting down a lot of her stimulus money into our daughters student loans (we agreed to pay them years ago) so that  it will be paid off this month.  When the stimulus ends and if my wife is not working we’ll have that monkey off our backs.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

I’ve been living a pretty simple life since long before covid. Spending is about the same. Haven’t traveled in forever. 
The tenant in St. Simons is not renewing her lease, so that will be open in a month. I’ll be going down there for a vacation after the heat slacks out. 

• Heart 2

Here's my 2020 spending compared to what I budgeted thru July 4th for key variable expense categories.  Household Items are overspent only because I had to buy things for my apartment whose cost will be compensated by State Farm when they settle for how much I lost in my house fire.  Beverages are higher partly because the bastards have been charging higher prices and partly because I'm home more often.  BGE (formerly Baltimore Gas and Electric) is for energy which is much less for the apartment but was also much less during the past Winter.

Of course, almost half of this spending is from before the pandemic and most of the savings have occurred since mid-March!

image.png.f6ab11c5e6319facc41540abaccac7f2.png

I've put 50% more into buying new stocks than usual in 2020 yet my savings account has grown so large I can pay for all the extras I want added to my rebuilt house (central air, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave above oven hood, etc.) without any of the money I'm going to get from State Farm for destroyed property (piano, TV, refrigerator, furniture, etc.)

• Heart 1

Can no longer just walk around stores and "look". It is kind of like browsing online...but with exercise. Got really goof a limiting impulsive buying. Now, order online. Had to send hiking shoes back. Perfect forward fit and width but rode up and down on heel with thick crew socks on. Immediately knew to return.   Cycling shoes are OK, but not the perfect fit. Have to remember to pull the tongue up or the bottom will bunch around the toes. Also, re-tighten when mounting bike after initial walkaround getting ready and checking air. Probably would not have bought them if tried them on.  In that sense, it is frustrating.

I seem to have an Amazon package delivered every second day.

In the past I used to pay with cash especially at non-chain stores. Lately I've been using the credit card instead especially at places which don't want cash right now. Today I had to go by an ATM to get some cash and I realized that I haven't been to an ATM in a few weeks.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Spending more. We’ve done a fair amount of yard work. Some pricey professional landscaping, other more economical self-home improvements. New fountain. We’ve got our back patio and yard into a pleasant retreat.

image.jpg

648A61D7-D7A8-4C25-A017-55B951873B08.jpeg

Really nice, but you might need some sheep to take care of some of the vegetative growth.:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Tell our friend @Longjohn that I had my wife cut my hair the last two times.  When I'm paying for a national exterminator, whose got money for a barber??

Why do I need to tell Longjohn about your haircut?? I decided long ago that Longjohn is a 'jack of many trades' and many things are much easier for him, than for some of the rest of us. Seems like he started at a young age and continued to improve as he aged.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Why do I need to tell Longjohn about your haircut?? I decided long ago that Longjohn is a 'jack of many trades' and many things are much easier for him, than for some of the rest of us. Seems like he started at a young age and continued to improve as he aged.

Well, you don't but I do.  I want him to be proud of my decisions.

• Awesome 1

15 hours ago, shootingstar said:

at least you don't have to mow lawn on a hill.

We’re built into a hillside. My back lawn is terraced, then the hill extends straight up to the neighbors behind us. They are so high up we can’t see their house even with no leaves on the trees. The front yard is a 45* pitch to the street.

All my racing friends in the racing world have been noticing some strange activitie with their savings accounts and I our savings account experiencing the same thing. With all the races canceled there's money in the account. 

If you don't look at the racing part of our lives the spending is about the same. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I did once, with a big tip!! No telling when I'll return.

Last haircut I had was in Feb and got the barber from hell. Nice little single barber owned (discussing his retirement party during haircut) 5 chair shop. Really liked it but this new gal always gave close cuts as her interpretation of 'light trim". Last time the other chair was taken (3 vacant, 2 barbers working that day) and ended up with her. Usually, my wife can't tell when had a haircut as nicely trimmed/blended. This February was a close cut you couldn't miss, but worse, for the first time in my life had electric clippers bite me. This shop still does the hot foam and straight edge trim, and never had a cut...but an electric clipper out of adjustment and drawing blood!??? OUCH! Was going to look for a new barbershop when all this happened, but out of convenience and familiarity will probably go back - just pass on her chair. Better yet, figure out when her day off is.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Last haircut I had was in Feb and got the barber from hell. Nice little single barber owned (discussing his retirement party during haircut) 5 chair shop. Really liked it but this new gal always gave close cuts as her interpretation of 'light trim". Last time the other chair was taken (3 vacant, 2 barbers working that day) and ended up with her. Usually, my wife can't tell when had a haircut as nicely trimmed/blended. This February was a close cut you couldn't miss, but worse, for the first time in my life had electric clippers bite me. This shop still does the hot foam and straight edge trim, and never had a cut...but an electric clipper out of adjustment and drawing blood!??? OUCH! Was going to look for a new barbershop when all this happened, but out of convenience and familiarity will probably go back - just pass on her chair. Better yet, figure out when her day off is.

As far as I can remember, it has always been acceptable custom if you prefer an individual barber.

Well, most of the time, anyway. Induction to the armed forces was different.