Do you people know prices?

Dirtyhip

Everything costs more than you think. If you could actually build the house yourself you could save a lot of money. If you don’t have the knowledge to do that you will have to hire someone who does and it can get expensive. Did you price a septic system in your area yet?

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Everything costs more than you think. If you could actually build the house yourself you could save a lot of money. If you don’t have the knowledge to do that you will have to hire someone who does and it can get expensive. Did you price a septic system in your area yet?

Yes, that sums up all I know about prices. They are too high. :(

• Heart 1

*I am always surprised at how expensive houses are to build. 

You may be in the ballpark. I would talk to a builder & see what they say. Every market is local. You guys have enough gumption to build it yourself. But it will take longer than you expect & cost more than you thought. Plus you will be exhausted at the end. I built my house (GC) in 1985 while working a full time job. I lost 30 lbs. And some of the finish work & design choices weren't great

One thing you may need to factor in is System Development Charges (SDC)  They pay for road, parks, infrastructure. Some of the Portland area SDC are $30-50k. Yours probably won't be that much. But go talk to a builder. 

Do you typically have underground rock in KF? That can get 'spensive

If you know anybody in the trades that can be a good way to find a contractor They will know who is a flake & who is the real deal. 

Here are SDC chart for KF $4-11k

https://www.klamathfalls.city/DocumentCenter/View/185/System-Development-Charges-Chart---Residential-Single-Family-PDF

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

city water and power at property line.

Slope is very moderate.  

Yay!  I don't like the taste of well water, always seems to get contaminated.  Plus, you never know when it's going to run out.

If I were to build a house, I would put tons of solar, plus storage units so I could have a 100% electric house.  Electric appliances, heat, AC, dryer...  Plus, I'd get an electric car.

Depending on how much finishing you will do yourself but $150 to $200 a square foot is an estimate I have heard.   Also depends on your choices for cupboards, counter tops, and fixtures. We were a bit more picky about this as this was our last house but you could go builder grade and update over time to be more conservative during the build. 
definitely have a set aside for unanticipated costs. 

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Scrapr

@Airehead

I am wondering if we are dreaming too high.  I have no idea what this will cost.  I am assuming in 150K range with us doing a ton of the finish work.  

https://markstewart.com/house-plans/cottage-house-plans/farm-640-heritage/

Is it cheaper to attach a garage, or is it same.  This garage is too small.

You won't have to build one wall, however there is the expense of making it a fire barrier. We love having the garage attached. Convenient on many different levels.

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That’s a bargain. My area it’s more like $18,000 and that is if you don’t piss off the evil permit lady.

Around here it goes by township, some townships will only allow a sand mound system, with a grinder pump. Expensive to install and requires a fair amount of maintenance.

When we were house hunting we did not even consider any houses with septic systems. I was concerned that even if it passed today's standards, it might be a problem when we try to sell.

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

@Scrapr

@Airehead

I am wondering if we are dreaming too high.  I have no idea what this will cost.  I am assuming in 150K range with us doing a ton of the finish work.  

https://markstewart.com/house-plans/cottage-house-plans/farm-640-heritage/

Is it cheaper to attach a garage, or is it same.  This garage is too small.

Costs vary tremendously by location, even with the same building materials, so I couldn't tell you, even though I'm seeing a lot of costs for options in rebuilding my house so I have some idea.  Based on that farmhouse design with garage, it would probably cost somewhere approaching $200K in my area. $150K might be possible.  That's with a washer and dryer, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and a few other non-built-in appliances included as well as central air conditioning.

My 30' x 30' mini-Cape Cod house (A-frame with two 2nd floor finished bedrooms, one bath on the main floor, and semi-finished basement is costing around $130,000 to rebuild (not including the cost of fire cleanup) with a contractor doing everything.  I'm add central air, a dishwasher, garbage disposal, better stairs to the basement, microwave above the gas range's fume hood, and a few other things up to a budget of $25,000 and may go another $10,000 if that will pay to redo the enclosed 12' x 10' back porch with electric heat/water supply and put a laundry room there instead of in the basement.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Costs vary tremendously by location, even with the same building materials, so I couldn't tell you, even though I'm seeing a lot of costs for options in rebuilding my house so I have some idea.  Based on that farmhouse design with garage, it would probably cost somewhere approaching $200K in my area. $150K might be possible.  That's with a washer and dryer, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and a few other non-built-in appliances included as well as central air conditioning.

My 30' x 30' mini-Cape Cod house (A-frame with two 2nd floor finished bedrooms, one bath on the main floor, and semi-finished basement is costing around $130,000 to rebuild (not including the cost of fire cleanup) with a contractor doing everything.  I'm add central air, a dishwasher, garbage disposal, better stairs to the basement, microwave above the gas range's fume hood, and a few other things up to a budget of $25,000 and may go another $10,000 if that will pay to redo the enclosed 12' x 10' back porch with electric heat/water supply and put a laundry room there instead of in the basement.

No bath on second floor?  Why not? Will add tremendous value

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

No bath on second floor?  Why not? Will add tremendous value

I've always said value doesn't matter. I'm building this place for ME. The future owners are just gonna tear it apart and personalize it for THEM anyway.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

20 minutes ago, smudge said:

I've always said value doesn't matter. I'm building this place for ME. The future owners are just gonna tear it apart and personalize it for THEM anyway.

Dr. Mickin has talked of selling and moving in the future. I have always bought with the thought that this is the last time I’m going to do this. If the house had a better resale value it would bless my kids more when I’m gone unless I end up in a nursing home and medicaid ends up with the house.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Dearie learned this the hard way when he renovated his mother's house.  After he sold house, the next owners undid alot of the nice stuff ...plus tore apart landscaping.  

Good luck DH in finding a contractor who won't over-extend their time period and who will build to code, including electrical, etc. Presumably you are building it as your final home.