Remember The NFL Bountygate?

Razors Edge

Pretty amazing that that was a decade ago!

The New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, informally known as "Bountygate,"was an incident in which members of the New Orleans Saints team of the National Football League (NFL) were accused of paying out bonuses, or "bounties", for injuring opposing team players. The pool was alleged to have been in operation from 2009 (the year in which the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV) to 2011.

League commissioner Roger Goodell responded with some of the most severe sanctions in the league's 92-year history, and among the most severe punishments for in-game misconduct in North American professional sports history. Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, though this would be overturned the following year. Head coach Sean Payton was suspended for the entire 2012 season—the first time since Chuck Fairbanks in 1978 that a head coach had been suspended. General manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for the first eight games of the 2012 season. Assistant head coach Joe Vitt was suspended for the first six games of the 2012 season. The Saints organization was penalized with a $500,000 fine and forced to forfeit their second-round draft selections in 2012 and 2013. In May 2012, four current and former Saints players were suspended after being named as ringleaders in the scandal, with linebacker Jonathan Vilma also being suspended for the entire 2012 season. However, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue overturned all sanctions against the players in December 2012 after finding that despite the players being "very much involved", the coaches and the Saints organization were primarily responsible for the scandal.

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A microcosm of an insane society  

A "crime" is committed, evidence is supplied, a decision is made, and and punishment is meted out.  That's sort of "sane" vs the thought that something brazen, calculated, thoroughly vile, and clearly perpetrated would go unpunished and perhaps even rewarded.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A "crime" is committed, evidence is supplied, a decision is made, and and punishment is meted out.  That's sort of "sane" vs the thought that something brazen, calculated, thoroughly vile, and clearly perpetrated would go unpunished and perhaps even rewarded.

I see the parallels that make it a microcosm of society. In both cases we bang heads until we have concussions and consider that normal. 

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I can't imagine more than 30,000 people crammed together.  A true disaster waiting to happen.

No fans... They are making many changes for player safety.   The cool thing is the leagues are set by geography this year to limit travel.  No AL & NL just East, Central & West.  Your BoSox will be in the same division with the Mets, Pirates & Nats this year.

Remember the NBA is also starting in a few weeks too without fans.

59 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

No fans... They are making many changes for player safety.   The cool thing is the leagues are set by geography this year to limit travel.  No AL & NL just East, Central & West.  Your BoSox will be in the same division with the Mets, Pirates & Nats this year.

I'm thinking of canceling cable.  I only have it for the Bruins and Pats.  Other than that, we don't watch TV.  Won't bother with sport either if there are no fans.

I'm worried we're soon going to be saying, "Remember the NFL?"

It's really a heartache to think about in Baltimore because the Ravens have never had such expectations as they have for this year and they've only got 2 years to go until Lamar Jackson's initial contract mushrooms into a huge contract and the Ravens will lose some great players they can no longer afford.

I'm wondering if we will have much of a season.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

NHL is trying to put together a 24 team tournament to replace the Stanley Cup.  Because the US is a festering cesspool of disease, they're looking to have it in Canada.  

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That's pretty cool.  Are the games live?  Is it the full game?  Are they free?

The games are live.

The games are full. 

The games are free with the added benefit of no commercials (you get a spash screen during commercial breaks).

Bonus, the games are streamed at a higher resolution than your local FOX Sports Net station.

The downside: You need to be ethically flexible because the person making the streams available to the world is probably breaking the law.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

The downside: You need to be ethically flexible because the person making the streams available to the world is probably breaking the law.

That's where you lost me.  :(

I'll just skip the games, if they ever come back.  I doubt I'd bother watching a game with no fans.