Cole slaw

Parsnip Totin Jack

27 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The one I had yesterday at the seafood restaurant was almost dry, hardly any mayo or dressing. I like it creamy, but not too sweet. 

I have had it with a vinegar based dressing and no mayo.  It’s good but I prefer it creamy too.

Cool to me that the German/Dutch word “Cole slaw” is still used for cabbage salad.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have had it with a vinegar based dressing and no mayo.  It’s good but I prefer it creamy too

I’ve had some very good vinegar based ones that I sort of prefer.  Too often there is way too much mayo for me. Toute suite is a big turn off for me. A touch is ok. 

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I’ve had some very good vinegar based ones that I sort of prefer.  Too often there is way too much mayo for me. Toute suite is a big turn off for me. A touch is ok. 

My family loves cole slaw and I buy a dressing that is creamy but have to go light with it as my family doesn’t like it goopy.  Light on the creamy dressing is how I like it these days.

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My family loves cole slaw and I buy a dressing that is creamy but have to go light with it as my family doesn’t like it goopy.  Light on the creamy dressing is how I like it these days.

About the same for me. That is a constant incompatibility between my wife and me. She likes a lot, I like a little. Even worse for Caesar salad. 

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That is a constant incompatibility between my wife and me. She liked a lot, I like a little. Even worse for Caesar  salad. 

I liked it goopy but my kids all gave me crap so I make it light and now prefer it that way.  You can always add more dressing to your serving I guess.

• Awesome 1

I have a recipe I got from some Betty Crocker package years ago.  It's creamy and passable the same day, good the next day, and excellent the 2nd day.

I'm usually too lazy to shred the cabbage so I buy the packaged cole slaw mix with carrots.  Lately, the bastards stopped making 16 oz. bags and sell 14 oz. or 12. oz.  For parties I'll get 2 bags and increase the incredients to match.

I also posted it here: https://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-coleslaw-354734

This is a modified version of a Betty Crocker recipe. It's ready after resting for 1 hour after preparation, but it should be made at least overnight, preferably 2 days in advance, to generate excellent sweetness and creaminess. The sour cream "kicks it up" just enough to generate a lot of compliments. I added a touch of vinegar, offset with sugar, which seems to greatly promote the development of flavor as it "ages". NOTE: I don't bother shredding the cabbage and carrot, I simply buy a 16 oz. bag of "shredded cabbage and carrots for cole slaw" in the salad veggies section of my supermarket. The listed prep time is based on that short cut.

by The_Mick 

1¼ hours | 15 min prep SERVES 8 , 5 cups

· 1/2 head cabbage, finely shredded (4 cups, approx. 16 oz.)

· 1/2 cup carrot, shredded (1 carrot)

· 1/4 cup sweet onion, diced bite-size (optional)

· 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (2/3 instead of 1/2 cup for extra creamy!)

· 1/4 cup sour cream 

· 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar 

· 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar 

· 2 teaspoons lemon juice 

· 2 teaspoons prepared mustard 

· 1/2 teaspoon celery seed 

· 1/4 teaspoon salt 

· 1/4 teaspoon pepper 

· Dorothy says 1/2 green pepper shredded

1. Mix all ingredients except cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large plastic or glass bowl.

2. Add cabbage, carrot, and (optional) onion and toss with a spoon until coated evenly.

3. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, but it's much better if allowed to develop it's sweetness and creaminess overnight. It will compact itself to about 2/3 the volume it was right after tossing it.

Nutrition Facts 

Serving Size 1 (98g)

Recipe makes 8 servings

Calories 100 Calories from Fat 59 (58%) Amount Per Serving %DV Total Fat 6.6g 10% Saturated Fat 1.7g 8% Monounsaturated Fat 1.8g Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8g Trans Fat 0.0g Cholesterol 6mg 2% Sodium 210mg 8% Potassium 179mg 5% Total Carbohydrate 10.3g 3% Dietary Fiber 1.6g 6% Sugars 5.7g Protein 1.3g 2% Vitamin A 1333mcg 26% Vitamin B6 0.1mg 3% Vitamin B12 0.1mcg 0% Vitamin C 19mg 32% Vitamin E 0mcg 2% Calcium 43mg 4% Iron 0mg 2%

• Heart 1