Flag poles

Airehead

I have a doohickey that kinda Looks like a bottle opener to hang a flag pole in. It hasn’t seen use in decades. Been that long since we owned a flag. 
My sister has a huge flagpole in her yard. Her mother-in-law had it installed without asking. It holds something like a 15 foot flag. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

4E9AA811-9EFB-4EBB-A1D8-4B52991258D2.jpeg

I love the dog-on-flag pic!  Of course, a couple generations ago it would have been viewed as an insult to the flag!

Does anyone else remember when having a flag tee-shirt, etc. was condemned?  One guy wore one on a late-night talk show in the late 60's or early 70's and the camera would not show him below his neck.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I love the dog-on-flag pic!  Of course, a couple generations ago it would have been viewed as an insult to the flag!

Does anyone else remember when having a flag tee-shirt, etc. was condemned?  One guy wore one on a late-night talk show in the late 60's or early 70's and the camera would not show him below his neck.

I quit the American Legion when they went nuts over the flag code.  I pointed out to the flag wearing olympic athletes that they didn't complain about while they were bad mouthing flag jersey wearing cyclists.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Was that Abbie Hoffman? 

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Mostly for @Bikeguy

Do you fly a flag?  On a pole? From your house?  Ours is a telescoping flag pole. We bring the pole in over the winter and cap the part that is buried in the yard. Ours came from flag farm. https://flagpolefarm.com/product/titan-telescoping-flagpole-kit/  I believe ours is 25 foot. No rope to break either.   Stay tuned for picture of flag pole. Also have the colors up today for the holiday. 

4E9AA811-9EFB-4EBB-A1D8-4B52991258D2.jpeg

B5F68AA2-69B1-4BD5-A949-2FA8C19BB7FF.jpeg

Bonita!

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I've been looking for a while....  I'll most likely will  be calling in the order on Monday for a 25ft. x 5in. x .156in. Aluminum Commercial External Halyard Flagpole   And of course a new 4 X 6 flag too.

CommercialAluminumExternal2_18.jpg?itok=U0sh74RZ

Lovely. Get the extra snaps so you can fly two flags at once

We have a relatively tall pipe for a flag pole, that was here when we bought the house. Pulley is on top with rope, which I've replaced a few times. 4x6' flag flies daily. We buy the heavy duty flags with heavier thread and more stitching across the end to reduce fraying from the high wind. Friend of mine bought a heavier duty flag to replace his nylon one. The additional weight plus the water that was soaked up was enough to bend his flag pole in a high wind this summer. I think we will lose other things before our flag pole bends in the wind.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:22 PM, Bikeguy said:

I placed the order today.   I can't wait to dig the hole.  It seems like it's been 90+ degrees and humid here for a while and it won't end anytime soon.

The ground must be like concrete by now....  it hasn't rained here in a while.

Here is the 'before' picture.   I marked the pole location with a wood stake (highlighted red).

image.thumb.png.8d496a79c53d73dfef0c141f70cd9bfb.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

I placed the order today.   I can't wait to dig the hole.  It seems like it's been 90+ degrees and humid here for a while and it won't end anytime soon.

The ground must be like concrete by now....  it hasn't rained here in a while.

Here is the 'before' picture.   I marked the pole location with a wood stake (highlighted red).

image.thumb.png.8d496a79c53d73dfef0c141f70cd9bfb.png

WOW! Very impressive.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...

The flagpole was delivered tonight at 7:30PM.   :runcirclsmiley:

The guy travels (with is wife) and was from Holly, Michigan.   Their last delivery is somewhere near Cheyenne Wyoming.    They had several more poles to deliver on the trailer.

Tomorrow I get to dig the hole for the foundation.  I better start early...  it should be close 92 tomorrow.   I have 12 bags (60#) of concrete.  I sure hope I don't need to use all of them. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The flagpole was delivered tonight at 7:30PM.   :runcirclsmiley:

The guy travels (with is wife) and was from Holly, Michigan.   Their last delivery is somewhere near Cheyenne Wyoming.    They had several more poles to deliver on the trailer.

Tomorrow I get to dig the hole for the foundation.  I better start early...  it should be close 92 tomorrow.   I have 12 bags (60#) of concrete.  I sure hope I don't need to use all of them. 

Rent an auger.....

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Further said:

Rent an auger.....

I'm going to be close to the gas line which is maybe 24 inches away.  I know it was 'located' but over the years I've learned sometimes the locate is not that accurate.  I don't want to find a gas line with an auger.

I've seen locates be off by as much as 3 feet.

• Heart 1

It sure was hot this morning, or I'm just getting too old for this kind of stuff, or both.

The hole needed to be 36 inches deep and at least 24 inches in diameter.   Hand dug the hole.  Used 10 bags of concrete. and the tube is actually plumb.   It's almost like I knew what I was doing.

Now the concrete needs to cure for a while.  The flagpole guy told me when he does an install he sets the pole the same day after he digs the hole.  I'm going to wait until tomorrow or maybe Monday (if it rains tonight) to set the pole.

500538005_pole1.thumb.jpg.34c5a6dae351379cd7ac86d4e8fff77b.jpg

The guy told me, NOT to let the pole lay in the grass.  The grass will stain the pole.   That seemed odd... but I don't want to find out he was correct.

835133253_pole2.thumb.jpg.514846cc32d7eabe4c04fb67a62b646b.jpg

Before digging the hole.

1236039354_pole3.thumb.jpg.00c2d336efaf22af14cb33062d9955d7.jpg

Yes this is indeed a hole  36" deep and 24" in diameter.

• Heart 1

I got error messages in the other post.   Uploaded to many MB.

Anyway...  DONE.   WoBG wants to do some kind of landscaping around the flag pole.  That's why I left the tube a bit high, because the final grade will be higher.  I don't want the tube to be the low spot collecting water.  I've read that's bad....

It sure was HOT...

444130604_pole4.thumb.jpg.9a3cc4f173cbccba7016811ed36fad86.jpg

• Heart 2

The solar powered LED lights on top of the pole work.  :runcirclsmiley:

Can you believe... they had push button on/off switch on it.  At most...they should have had one of those orange plastic strips you pull out to connect the battery to the light.  Or.. even skip that, just leave it always on.   I wonder how many people installed the light and didn't turn it on?   It's now 25 feet in the air.   It's not like I can turn it on now.  

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

Did it look like Iwo Jima when you set it?  So you don’t pour the concrete around the pole?  How do you prevent any slop around the pole?  And how did you dig such a perfectly round hole?  Clamshell digger?  And finally, would you dig it with a chigger?  

What in the world is a chigger? I prefer clamshell diggers, but my wife prefers augers for post holes.  A good sharpshooter shovel works well when digging larger holes, along with a 90 degree shovel for cleaning out the loose soil (not sure of its name).