Any one here have experience with a stem riser ?

Further

My neck and back are extremely tight and painful today. I am blaming yesterday's bicycle ride.

Higher handlebars I think would help. I'm not in a position right now to buy a new bike, even if one were available to buy. The Roubaix is an excellent bike and I am very happy with it, but I can no longer bend over low bars.

That extension that clamps on top of the steerer tube looks like the cheapest and most effective way to pick the bars up.

So what are your suggestions ? 

Stems come in many lengths & rises as well adjustable ones.  I’m sure you can get a shorter stem with more rise to lessen the reach.  My brother has quiet the belly and his bikes have riser stems to get the bars up & in as he ain’t bending no way no how!

I rarely ride my Bianchi anymore for the same reason. Long & low just doesn’t work for me these days. My cross bike has a shorter top tube and taller head tube which suites me just fine.  It gets al my road riding and trail riding these days.

19 minutes ago, Further said:

My neck and back are extremely tight and painful today. I am blaming yesterday's bicycle ride.

Higher handlebars I think would help. I'm not in a position right now to buy a new bike, even if one were available to buy. The Roubaix is an excellent bike and I am very happy with it, but I can no longer bend over low bars.

That extension that clamps on top of the steerer tube looks like the cheapest and most effective way to pick the bars up.

Keep an eye on how far your cables stretch.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Further said:

Can you flip your stem over?

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

Can you flip your stem over?

I already did. I need a lot of height added. My back and especially neck are in bad shape. I was in PT for 2 months this spring for this same problem. I don't want to go back already.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I always ride on the hoods these days. Do you do that or use the drops?  Makes a huge difference.  Yes, a Roubaix is a great bike!

I haven't used the drops in years  :D

The bike has Ultegra brifters on it, I really like them and don't want to lose them, like if I went to flat bars.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

I haven't used the drops in years  :D

The bike has Ultegra brifters on it, I really like them and don't want to lose them, like if I went to flat bars.

Also consider a bar with less reach and some even have some rise on the tops.

3 hours ago, Further said:

That's what I have on my tandem. Otherwise I'd be too hunched over.

A warning though: Years ago I was having neck issues and my boy-racer bike (1999 Trek 5200 like Lance rode but without the EPO option) was too aggressive even with the stem flipped and even a larger angle stem. So I put on a stem extension. It was working OK until one day I was zooming down a hill at 35 mph. It started a severe death wobble which that bike had never done before! The only change was the stem extension and things like the headset and wheels were OK. So I sold that bike and bought a more laid back endurance bike. Still had to flip the stem though.

• Heart 1