Brisket

Parsnip Totin Jack

Just now, Further said:

What kind of charcoal do you use ? and how do you set the vents ?

I have the same grill but have never attempted brisket, or ribs.

I use a mix of kingsford charcoal and hardwood. Today is red oak and hickory chunks. Wood chips are too small. The vents are the way I keep the fire from being too hot. 250 is my target. Bottom vent is 1/4 open. Top vent is used to manage the temperature. At first, it’s open a quarter. Over time I open it to full open depending on the temperature. I use a remote thermometer to gauge it and don’t worry about it. When I start to worry, I crack open a beer. Aluminum drip pan underneath with coals on each side. The more you do this the better you get. I’ve got 40 years at this game. An offset smoker or a big green egg would be better but ill wait until I’m in my forever home. I also smoked a pint of kosher salt for the first time. 

• Heart 2

My daughters MIL insisted she do the bbq this time... Burgers & dogs it is... 🤢 

I was gonna at least bring brats but my wife said to leave it be... Her bbq her menu.  She asked me to get potato & fruit salad.  “Get” yeah no I’ll make it thanks. 

• Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My daughters MIL insisted she do the bbq this time... Burgers & dogs it is... 🤢 

I was gonna at least bring brats but my wife said to leave it be... Her bbq her menu.  She asked me to get potato & fruit salad.  “Get” yeah no I’ll make it thanks. 

Maybe she's not familiar with alternatives.  I really mean that.  I would not expect my mother to know about gourmet sausages, sourdough bread, etc.

Do something different for potato salad. Spice it up gently.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Maybe she's not familiar with alternatives.  I really mean that.  I would not expect my mother to know about gourmet sausages, sourdough bread, etc.

Do something different for potato salad. Spice it up gently.

Yeah her intentions are good but the woman can’t cook, the dogs will be burnt sticks and the burgers will be hockey pucks. I got sick of her BBQ’s so brought meat over the past few get together. She insisted this time...

I made a really good potato salad yesterday and the flavors are really popping now.  I tasted earlier, it’s really good.  Fruit salad is just a bunch of melon & berries. Easy peasy.

• Heart 1