Am changing: becoming bird aware

shootingstar

Now I can't seem to ride without noticing birds flitting in my vision and am trying to figure out if it's worth stopping to see/photo shoot.  

I was never like this before. I'll just zoom through bird twittering cacophany and not give a hoot/tweet.  It's like my senses are suddenly over past few months, become very alert to bird flicker-movement and bird songs.

Better be careful --one day I might fall down into a gutter or pothole or down a river bank.

Yesterday, I stopped mid descent down a 10% hill, when suddenly 3 cedar waxing birds fluttered into a tree.  Today it was a northern flcker, then 10 km. later, a hawk. Return back was savannah sparrow. Very cute.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Now I can't seem to ride without noticing birds flitting in my vision and am trying to figure out if it's worth stopping to see/photo shoot.  

I was never like this before. I'll just zoom through bird twittering cacophany and not give a hoot/tweet.  It's like my senses are suddenly very alert to bird flicker-movement and bird songs.

Better be careful --one day I might fall down into a gutter or pothole or down a river bank.

Yesterday, I stopped mid descent down a 10% hill, when suddenly 3 cedar waxing birds fluttered into a tree.  Today it was a northern flcker, then 10 km. later, a hawk. Return back was savannah sparrow. Very cute.

I've always been casually interested in birds & wildlife, but the past few years my interest has intensified. I think it has something to do with getting old   

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Further said:

I've always been casually interested in birds & wildlife, but the past few years my interest has intensified. I think it has something to do with getting old   

Perhaps...it's like noticing precious living things more intensely and realizing they will be gone for awhile until maybe in a few months or next year.

I've always enjoyed flowers, gardens, forests, etc.  Since knowing dearie where we've gone into the wilderness areas (which I didn't do much before him), some mountain areas and cycling in different parts of Canada, has made me far more acutely aware and observant of Nature.  It doesn't mean I can even identify what I saw or hear. :unsure:  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, JerrySTL said:

My kids tell me that it's a sign of old age. They might be right as I have 3 feeders in the back yard and often plan my rides to go by a bald eagle nest.

I've noticed some of the birding outing walks in my area....are during work day hrs. which reinforces too much about birding as only for retirees.  :( I guess they want to make sure parents don't drag along noisy children. Or noisy/giggling/yappy teens. (Not all teens are like that of course but at certain ages, there's just more socialization goin' on.)

On weekend mornings, I see some people younger than me (millenials), hauling their long macro lens camera / tripods in their hikes. I'm proud to say..a boomer bikes over.    

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Allen said:

There were a whole bunch of geese on the pond today. 
And the other day while paddling around the pond I saw what my dad used to call a swamp turkey. I can’t find it in my bird book. No idea what it really is. 

Must a local lingo.  I use this site to help me sometimes:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/?__hstc=161696355.6915946f9a4218243c770c0f49c3ff9d.1590869403158.1593892501448.1593899112363.10&__hssc=161696355.1.1593899112363&__hsfp=2318686726

Or type in:  ebird followed by your state.  If there are birders who track, they might track their sightings here.  And then you might be able to zoom into local areas..where others might see similar birds. Then lists of bird names have click links that often give a photo, etc. to help.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Must a local lingo.  I use this site to help me sometimes:  https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/?__hstc=161696355.6915946f9a4218243c770c0f49c3ff9d.1590869403158.1593892501448.1593899112363.10&__hssc=161696355.1.1593899112363&__hsfp=2318686726

Or type in:  ebird followed by your state.  If there are birders who track, they might track their sightings here.  And then you might be able to zoom into local areas..where others might see similar birds. Then lists of bird names have click links that often give a photo, etc. to help.

This thread motivated me to give it an internet search. I can’t find it on Wikipedia’s page on the birds of Georgia. I’ll keep looking. 

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

We bought some binoculars for our wildlife trip and used them but mainly because I think bird watching may be on the horizon. Get it? 

Binoculars are fun, and expensive......if you have say $200.00 to spend, don't take a pair of $500.00 binoculars out in the street just to see the difference..... and don't even pick up the $1200.00 ones... 

• Awesome 1

Just now, Further said:

Binoculars are fun, and expensive......if you have say $200.00 to spend, don't take a pair of $500.00 binoculars out in the street just to see the difference..... and don't even pick up the $1200.00 ones... 

That's right. I don't need to spend big bucks.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Allen said:

There were a whole bunch of geese on the pond today. 
And the other day while paddling around the pond I saw what my dad used to call a swamp turkey. I can’t find it in my bird book. No idea what it really is. 

Maybe a cormorant? May also be an anhinga.

Difference between an anhinga and a cormorant
The best way to tell if a bird in question is a cormorant or anhinga is to use their beaks. Anhingas use their long, straight, pointed beak to spear their prey. Cormorants, on the other hand, use their hooked bills to grab their prey. Both species hunt their prey by submerging themselves underwater.

27 minutes ago, Allen said:

These are the birds other people have seen in Georgia:  https://ebird.org/region/US-GA?yr=all

Allen, I'm amazed by the tricolour heron. There is the glossy ibis....

Now i'm lusting after a book, Wild Birds of Alberta by a local professor.  Why don't I just be content on observing, photos and run home to Internet-research what I saw... :whistle:  THere's a highly active facebook for bird observers and enthusiasts in our province.  There's at least 1-5 different p;osts  --daily.  

Actually our city pariticpated out of only 5 cities in national bird day count this year.  Maybe there's something about living in the prairies...which has more open space at times, to see certain birds...or just less city things to do. :welcome:

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

These are the birds other people have seen in Georgia:  https://ebird.org/region/US-GA?yr=all

Now i'm lusting after a book, Wild Birds of Alberta by a local professor.  Why don't I just be content on observing, photos and run home to Internet-research what I saw... :whistle:  THere's a highly active facebook for bird observers and enthusiasts in our province.  There's at least 1-5 different p;osts  --daily.  

Actually our city pariticpated out of only 5 cities in national bird day count this year.  Maybe there's something about living in the prairies...which has more open space at times, to see certain birds...or just less city things to do. :welcome:

Wasn't for sure if you saw an 'earlier' post about this photographer.  We worked with him for 1.5 days and hope to have a private session again sometime in the future.

• Heart 1

42 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I pretty sure it is either a clapper rail, or a Virginia rail. 
Maybe I’ll spot him again. He lives in my swamp. 

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Wasn't for sure if you saw an 'earlier' post about this photographer.  We worked with him for 1.5 days and hope to have a private session again sometime in the future.

He is dedicated!  One of my friends has a local friend-couple whom she's gone out the odd occasion here and there.  They will drive somewhere in the wilderness (which she did not disclose) and stake themselves in the car ...in the winter in evening, etc. for several hrs. for the winter animals to photo shoot.  All I know they have a huge lens or 2.  It sounded nearly insane....given the weather conditions.  One of the days was ie. -24 degrees C.

A trip to Vancouver Island would be lovely. Just choose right time of year.  While I would have an opinion, Zephyr would know best being there.

Last week, I was surprised to see a flock of 30 or so Canada Geese in a small field alongside a shopping center, halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis.

I thought they would have flown back north by now.  Then again, those that winter in Maryland are said to come from the NE of Hudson Bay, so maybe it takes a little longer to warm up there.

19 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Last week, I was surprised to see a flock of 30 or so Canada Geese in a small field alongside a shopping center, halfway between Baltimore and Annapolis.

I thought they would have flown back north by now.  Then again, those that winter in Maryland are said to come from the NE of Hudson Bay, so maybe it takes a little longer to warm up there.

There are resident flocks that remain in some areas year round like Fort Collins, CO.

Fort Collins' 'Father Goose'
Now, more than 60 years after Colorado's efforts to introduce resident geese populations, roughly 20,000 to 30,000 Canada geese reside in the state year-round, according to CPW. The resident geese also attract an estimated 200,000 migratory Canada and cackling geese each winter.Jul 8, 2019

35 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

There are resident flocks that remain in some areas year round like Fort Collins, CO.

Fort Collins' 'Father Goose'
Now, more than 60 years after Colorado's efforts to introduce resident geese populations, roughly 20,000 to 30,000 Canada geese reside in the state year-round, according to CPW. The resident geese also attract an estimated 200,000 migratory Canada and cackling geese each winter.Jul 8, 2019

So Fort Collins was hankering for resident geese?  How novel.

This means putting up with the poop also.  However they are good to see in winter.

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So Fort Collins was hankering for resident geese?  How novel.

This means putting up with the poop also.  However they are good to see in winter.

Please note that was 60 years ago. We were there is the 60s, and Bernie Crawford was working hard on this project.

17 hours ago, Allen said:

I pretty sure it is either a clapper rail, or a Virginia rail. 
Maybe I’ll spot him again. He lives in my swamp. 

Common Gallinule?  I saw one when out canoeing with my brother last year. Virginia rails are in my area. Tough to spot 

17 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Please note that was 60 years ago. We were there is the 60s, and Bernie Crawford was working hard on this project.

I'm sorry I didn't know the extent of your research group's involvement.

Canada geese were chosen because once upon a time, they were native to the area?  Just like Banff National Park is returning the first bison herd to the park just 2 yrs. ago or something like that.

The problem with Canada geese in the heart of the city is that people are tempted to feed them. And they shouldn't.  We were warned by the local animal shelter that some geese can't fly/get too fat or languish health wise with other problems.  

My Dad was always interested and would keep his bird books around to identify birds.  We didn't see that great a variety living in an apartment the city, but he'd enjoy the time in the Catskills.  When they got a house with a big year, they'd always have feeders out and no matter what fancy birds came by, the cardinals were always the most welcome visitors.

But every so often he and my Mom would voice a special appreciation for commons sparrows who spent the winters in NY and lived well off the scraps of city living.

13 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm sorry I didn't know the extent of your research group's involvement.

Canada geese were chosen because once upon a time, they were native to the area?  Just like Banff National Park is returning the first bison herd to the park just 2 yrs. ago or something like that.

The problem with Canada geese in the heart of the city is that people are tempted to feed them. And they shouldn't.  We were warned by the local animal shelter that some geese can't fly/get too fat or languish health wise with other problems.  

When all of this was going on, Fort Collins, CO was a relatively small town with a University.  There was and still is a lot of wide open country adjacent to the city. I've not been back in several years, but did not notice a lot of geese in the city proper.  I really don''t think they are a problem in the 'heart of the city'. My research group was not involved, but I was a student at CSU during the 60s working on my BS and MS in range management. My wife, an avid bird watcher, was keenly interested in the project.

I mainly posted this to indicate to Mick, that some resident flocks remain in some areas year round and do not migrate to Canada. We have a similar situation here.