No break from the heat

petitepedal

12 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I know it is a stretch looking at the long term forecast..but they are showing 90's into the weekend...next weekend :frantics:

One benefit of coastal living.  We rarely get oppressive heat.  Well into the 90’s a few miles inland.

870E2CE6-0817-44E9-ABFD-406E0C96D184.png

• Awesome 1

On 7/4/2020 at 6:21 PM, petitepedal said:

I know it is a stretch looking at the long term forecast..but they are showing 90's into the weekend...next weekend :frantics:

I love the long days and the chance to ride, hike, swim, paddle, or just wander every day with no worries except the chance for heat induced thunderstorms rolling through.  While I prefer the "shoulder" season of late spring and early fall, it's tough to beat long days in the summer.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I just wake up and experience whatever is out there

You can't control the weather just deal with it. 

I've raced motorcycles in -5° and I've raced in 100+ temps ......just deal with it.... but even I get sick of the heat 

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Our pool is still working to open.  Apparently, the lifeguard shortage is real!

Lifeguard is a seasonal job and it doesn’t really pay well unless you lifeguard on Babewatch. I always thought I’d like to be a lifeguard if it paid better. Back in 1980 I was between jobs and looking for work. I interviewed for a maintenance repairman job and was offered a job as head lifeguard. I didn’t really get to lifeguard very much once I got the pool painted and open. I ended up doing repair and remodeling work after the owner discovered my other skills. I mostly lifeguarded at private pool parties which required a lifeguard. It was a fun job.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Lifeguard is a seasonal job and it doesn’t really pay well unless you lifeguard on Babewatch. I always thought I’d like to be a lifeguard if it paid better. Back in 1980 I was between jobs and looking for work. I interviewed for a maintenance repairman job and was offered a job as head lifeguard. I didn’t really get to lifeguard very much once I got the pool painted and open. I ended up doing repair and remodeling work after the owner discovered my other skills. I mostly lifeguarded at private pool parties which required a lifeguard. It was a fun job.

In normal years, we source our lifeguards from Eastern European countries, but in COVID times, that source of cheap labor is cut off.  They are offering free certification and training, which I thought I might mention to my nieces, but figured it likely wasn't worth their time.

18 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I never understood constant complaining about the weather.  Too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter, that would make me sad thinking like that all the time.  I just wake up and experience whatever is out there.

I tend to agree but I think it’s fair for people living along the Canadian border to complain about excessive heat just as those in AZ or SoCal to complain about a cold snap of prolonged freezing temps.

I have never been to Boston but the MidAtlantic region definitely gets the dog days off summer and the winter chill.  Not too many places get both like that region.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have never been to Boston but the MidAtlantic region definitely gets the dog days off summer and the winter chill.  Not too many places get both like that region.

Our summers can go into the low hundreds, our winters often are below 0.  Some years we get dumped on with snow.

There is a door in there, and a greenhouse to the left.

20150127_145313.jpg

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

They are offering free certification and training, which I thought I might mention to my nieces, but figured it likely wasn't worth their time.

I got my certification from one of my employees who was teaching a class and didn’t have enough people enrolled. She told me there wouldn’t be any charge. It came in handy that one time.

20 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I just got permission to return to air conditioned office starting tomorrow. No A/C at home makes it uncomfortable. 

My new office is in a building that is mostly vacant. As such the AC is turned down (or is that up..) Anyway I brought in a fan as it gets pretty warm in here.

Enjoy the AC, I wish I was...

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Our summers can go into the low hundreds, our winters often are below 0.  Some years we get dumped on with snow.

There is a door in there, and a greenhouse to the left.

20150127_145313.jpg

That melts in hours minutes in 100+o weather!  See, another huge positive for the warm weather!

39 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My new office is in a building that is mostly vacant. As such the AC is turned down (or is that up..) Anyway I brought in a fan as it gets pretty warm in here.

Enjoy the AC, I wish I was...

I have a fan, too. A/C isn’t always equally distributed. 

52 minutes ago, Allen said:

AC is running full time down here. My glasses fog up every time I step outside. 

We run ours enough to take the edge off the humidity. My boss is part polar bear so the office gets chilly. Luckily I'm not in the office a lot. My bike is in the office more than me! When I ride it home in the afternoon, my brakes squeal from all the moisture that builds up on the cool brake pads and rims!

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

We run ours enough to take the edge off the humidity. My boss is part polar bear so the office gets chilly. Luckily I'm not in the office a lot. My bike is in the office more than me! When I ride it home in the afternoon, my brakes squeal from all the moisture that builds up on the cool brake pads and rims!

I run a dehumidifier in the basement. I piped the output to the outside. It removes several gallons a day. The drainpipe just drips on the ground, there is always a puddle underneath it. 

On 7/4/2020 at 5:23 PM, JerrySTL said:

Same here with St. Louis humidity piled on. 

The humidity is bad here but...  It seems like it's always REAL humid near StL

Looks like it may rain tomorrow.  A few 'cool' days in the upper 80s.  Then back into the 90s.    This is WAY hot for us compared to a normal summer.  Should be mid to low 80s here.

image.png.ae648dd4c4fba52c9278379270b9ca11.png

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Looks like two weeks straight of good riding weather!  How many days of good riding weather do you get down there?  Seems like it would rival CA!

You can ride every day here as long as you take plenty of water and hit your favorite sports drink to replace the electrolytes you sweat out. Dehydration is the big killer here. It's just a matter of being prepared and getting used to the heat.

Oh, and they've updated the forecast...117 on Sunday.

• Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

You can ride every day here as long as you take plenty of water and hit your favorite sports drink to replace the electrolytes you sweat out. Dehydration is the big killer here. It's just a matter of being prepared and getting used to the heat.

Oh, and they've updated the forecast...117 on Sunday.

We need a holy shit emoji !!!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

We're supposed to be in mid 70's. We've been 15-20° above that. Blech!!

Slept in the loft Tues night 80°)...dumb. Worked at camp that day and sweat my ass off. Got home, showered, laundered bedsheets and put them back on the bed, HoSmudge had air conditioner crankin'.... I slept well!!!