Quote of the Day: Martin Luther King, Jr.

Inspiration Bot

2 hours ago, donkpow said:

Shows to go ya.

I don't know his music and have never followed him. After skimming over the extensive Wikipedia entry lovingly crafted by a fan/marketer:  

n October 2018, West was reported to have given his support to the Blexit movement, a campaign by Owens to encourage black Americans to abandon the Democratic Party and register as Republicans. Media reports suggested West had advised on the design of the campaign's logo, and branded merchandise, including T-shirts.[339][340] However, West denied being the designer and disavowed the effort, tweeting "My eyes are now wide open and now realize I’ve been used to spread messages I don't believe in. I am distancing myself from politics and completely focusing on being creative !!!"[341]

In January 2019, West re-affirmed his support for President Trump.[342] In the same year he expressed his opposition to abortion,[6][343] and condemned those who wish to remove religion from the public square.[344] In an interview with GQ in January 2020, West implied he'd be voting for President Trump.[345][346]

Some people are artistically very gifted and he's one of them, judging from the things he gets involved, helps create/envision.  He should remain there. He probably feels profound disgust that despite his wealth, widespread artistry, connections, he's still viewed as a fluff.  Seems like his bursts of anger directs his clear thinking in ways that muddles his own vision at times.

Still, I feel for the guy in his occasional erratic behaviour...there is a underlying message in his personal history:  don't take sheot from others, be your very best or I'm trying to be good...you just can't see it.  

27 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I wonder how many years it will be before they start knocking down MLK statues for something considered 'wrong' then but not now?

You mean some of the anti-racism protestors?  I guess for a small group, MLK might be viewed as a whimp.....instead, they want to take over by force.

Confronting real racism, can be scary:

About 8 years ago, after working at the construction site in the suburbs of Metro Vancouver, I got onto my usual transit bus. This was late afternoon.  A guy boarded bus and told off the bus driver who was turbaned Sikh:  I'm not giving you any money (bus fare), raghead.  

So I said to the guy as he came down the aisle, to seat himself:  "Just give the bus fare. You're supposed to".  Of course, he didn't give any money and plunked himself diagonally in a seat from me.  

"Fuck off, go back to China", he glared at me hard.  "We don't want you around. Fuckin' Chinks".  

And I said:  "I was born here".

After that I shut up...because I was both angry, afraid.   It's hard to know, being trapped on a bus what stranger could possibly do.

That bus ride took 45 min. before I had to get off to switch to a train (then my bike at a bike locker).

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I wonder how many years it will be before they start knocking down MLK statues for something considered 'wrong' then but not now?

In an ABC News article comment, I asked if MLK, JFK, FDR, Eisenhower, and a lot of other statues will be demolished at some future time when adultery is considered something bad enough to outweigh every other good thing you've ever done.

The landscape will eventually become like the inside of a mosque, where no images are allowed!

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

In an ABC News article comment, I asked if MLK, JFK, FDR, Eisenhower, and a lot of other statues will be demolished at some future time when adultery is considered something bad enough to outweigh every other good thing you've ever done.

The landscape will eventually become like the inside of a mosque, where no images are allowed!

I don't think things will devolve so much.  But there are some challenging times ahead.  As a very simple example:  We have to understand there many people from completely different backgrounds that AREN'T in this forum at all but they also cycle. 

To go in a completely opposite direction of rapper star Kayne, here's a black Canadian guy, Cameron Bailey who I briefly met while at university.  I was at a party for primarily Caribbean students.  He and I were in the Faculty of English Literature.  Sure yes, it was very white.  A person spends time just blending.  He and I were probably giraffes in a sea of white.  The university he and i went was not U. of Toronto.  Western was/is in an even more conservative city than even the city I grew up in. 

Cameron has been the artistic director /VP for the Toronto International Film Festival for many years.  This is his speech to graduates at convocation I think just 2 yrs. ago.  Totally different from Kayne....but he himself is still immersed in the arts, like Kayne. 

For STEM graduates, it is a defense of the humanities also.

21 hours ago, MickinMD said:

The landscape will eventually become... no images...

What a wonderful world that will be! Landscape is inspiring. There will always be plenty of museums and buildings, structures set apart for images and interpretation of our human experience.

• Heart 1