So, I rode the tandem bike today.

MoseySusan

Stopping and starting are often the hardest parts. Both times WoJSTL and I fell it was while starting. One of the was due to a 5 YO grandson pulling in front of us. We thing that we have it figured out now and have a set procedure.

Stopping is all on me. So far so good but there were a few times where it was a little sketchy. Our tandem has disk brakes and the one time that I had to do a max effort stop, I was really happy with how quickly it took us from 15 to 0 mph.

• Heart 1

Flat pedals, no clips so there’s that. Thankfully he put his foot down when we stopped because we were tipping hard. mr. said to give a little hop off and get both feet on the ground when stopping, so that I can hold the bike upright. It’s going to take more practice.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

have a set procedure.

We have 'our' procedure.  I'll guess tandem riders may have similar, but also unique ways to start and stop.

Starting... I get on the bike, on the saddle, lock the brakes, and both of my feet (more accurately my toes) are on the ground, to brace the bike so there is no sideways movement, and no forward (or aft) movement either.  I tell WoBG 'ready' and then she gets on the bike and gets her feet into her toe clips, which are actually very loose fitting. Then she back pedals the crank to 'get the pedals ready'.  I like to start with the right pedal, so that pedal is ready for a down stroke.  Then she tells me 'ready'.  I release the brakes and we both start pedaling.  I clip in the right, then my left.

Stopping... I unclip both my feet and stop the bike. Both of my feet are on the ground again the the brakes are set.  WoBG then gets off of the bike and tells me when she off.  Then I can get off off the bile.

During the ride, I call out dogs, cars and bumps.   I also call out 'get ready to stop' too, just so WoBG knows what to expect.  Emergency stops, I call out 'stop' and hope she's holding on.

The only time we ever got wiggly was on Mackinac Island, when we rented a tandem.  The tandem's geometry must have been WAY different that our bike.  And the brakes were horrible.  If I recall, coaster brake on the rear and a rim brake on the front that was worthless.  On one hill, I stopped and told WoBG we are walking down.  I like to be able to stop. 

I think Ian and I mostly used @Bikeguy's method...but we took no chances...waited for the group of elite looking cyclists to take off from the coffee shop as to not humiliate ourselves :whistle:  Seriously...only once..on a WI trail..close to crossing a paved road we hit sand...I am not sure how I ended up standing to the right of the bike..Ian kept it upright..I think if I had not bailed..we might have both been on the ground..somehow I got my leg over the bike and we saved it!! :nodhead:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

We have 'our' procedure.  I'll guess tandem riders may have similar, but also unique ways to start and stop.

Starting... I get on the bike, on the saddle, lock the brakes, and both of my feet (more accurately my toes) are on the ground, to brace the bike so there is no sideways movement, and no forward (or aft) movement either.  I tell WoBG 'ready' and then she gets on the bike and gets her feet into her toe clips, which are actually very loose fitting. Then she back pedals the crank to 'get the pedals ready'.  I like to start with the right pedal, so that pedal is ready for a down stroke.  Then she tells me 'ready'.  I release the brakes and we both start pedaling.  I clip in the right, then my left.

Stopping... I unclip both my feet and stop the bike. Both of my feet are on the ground again the the brakes are set.  WoBG then gets off of the bike and tells me when she off.  Then I can get off off the bile.

During the ride, I call out dogs, cars and bumps.   I also call out 'get ready to stop' too, just so WoBG knows what to expect.  Emergency stops, I call out 'stop' and hope she's holding on.

The only time we ever got wiggly was on Mackinac Island, when we rented a tandem.  The tandem's geometry must have been WAY different that our bike.  And the brakes were horrible.  If I recall, coaster brake on the rear and a rim brake on the front that was worthless.  On one hill, I stopped and told WoBG we are walking down.  I like to be able to stop. 

We developed a similar start except that I like the left foot. I like to clip in that foot at the 6 o'clock position then backpedal to 9 o'clock to start. WoJSTL also uses toe clips.