Running experiment 1 over

Square Wheels

So, I was shooting for keeping my heartrate flat at just under 150.  It looks like over the 30 days it dropped.  That means I could have run faster.

My goal was not to run fast, but to see if I could increase my speed by running at the same heartrate for 30 days, that seems to have worked.

This 30 day challenge was 2.15 miles every day, 60 degrees or 95 degrees outsides.  Some were before work, some after.  Some when I felt great, some I barely managed to do because I just wanted to sit on my butt.

I will do another 30 days, same thing, trying to keep it under 150.  I will go a little longer, 2.5 miles.  I think I need to start a little faster because it was taking a while to get my heartrate up.  I usually go from 70 to 130 really fast (less than 2 minutes) , but then I was slowing down and creeping up on 150.data.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

Every so often I have to do the treadmill stress test thing for my dive medical.  The last time the new doc asked what I did for exercise and I told him I bike.  After a while in the teat he asked me if I wear a heart monitor when I ride to mo itor my heart rate and I told him No, I just go hard until I throw up in my mouth a bit then slow down a bit until urge stops. He paused and said 138.  You ride at 138 bpm.  I asked him how he knew that and he said my heart rate plateaued at 138 for a long time before increasing.  He said that is because it is use to working at that level and it is really happy at that level.  

I was happy but at the same time unhappy that it took so long to reach my target heartrate because the only thing I dislike more than running is running indoors on a treadmill with a nurse watching me sweat

• Heart 3

One advantage of being old.  My target heart rate is low.  I hit the rate the doc sets early on and then they have fun trying to see how far I will go.  I don't run well, especially on a treadmill.  It's nothing like biking and I truly hate it.

My 85% target rate for a stress test is a measly 125.  As long as my blood pressure is ok they usually let me get out to almost 150 or just above my hr max.

• Heart 1

I suspect my max heartrate is rather low, maybe 180, 190 would be crazy.  When I rode Mt. Washington, I was dead tired at the end, that's when it got steep.  My heartrate monitor decided to crap out.  I honestly don't remember being able to breathe.  I suspect it was 190.  I've seen it hit 180 on rides before, that's really hard on me, I know I can push 185 for 30 seconds max, then I need to back off.

My goal for the runs wasn't to push myself, 150 is a hard, but doable heartrate for me.  I wanted to run near that and see if I got faster, I was very happy to see I did.  Now I'll try another month, just a bit longer of a run.

I watched what felt like a solid running video (I've watched hundreds) on training and they suggested running at a steady heartrate for at least three months in order to get faster.  If you tried to shorten it (like I feel I am ready to now), then fine, go ahead, but it will derail you.  I need to learn to run slower to be able to get faster.  Who knew, it's actually working.

• Heart 2