Stephen A Smith Suspension

Nate

If you haven't heard, ESPNs Stephen A Smith got suspended for saying that "women need to do everything they can not to provoke an attack"

Now this story begins with Ravens star running back Ray Rice knocking his wife out cold as a fish and dragging her carcass out of an elevator, all while the security cam videoed the whole deal

As a Steeler fan, this story is full of "win" but it sucks that dude knocked out his own wife

As a Steeler fan, I just say that this story underlines the known fact that the Ravens are a bunch of punk bitches

But as a man, it's like "Really? You're a millionaire football player and you have to beat up girls?"

Getting back to the story, though, I didn't see it, but apparently Stephen A Smith argued that women have a responsibility not to provoke men

Really?

There was this old joke in the days before PC culture that went

Q: "What do 100 battered women have in common?"

A: "They didn't know when to shut the fuck up!"

But even back then , we knew that was a joke, right?

well, apparently not :(

These days it's really easy for people to get fired up over non-PC comments by famous people.  I think most of the time it's overblown - but not this time.  Citing "provocation" when a millionaire football star hit a woman (his fiance, no less) is plain scary.  No one should be thinking like this.

Aside from Stephen Smith himself, between the head injury thing and the league full of criminals I'm becoming disillusioned with the NFL.  I never thought that would happen.  (If the Patriots start strong it will be hard not to get sucked back in though)

I truly don't believe men should hit women. Neither do I believe women should hit men.

Very key point. One of the gender differences that hurts men is that it's always assumed that the man is the aggressor. According to this 'experiment' 40% of domestic violence is suffered by men. 

Aside from Stephen Smith himself, between the head injury thing and the league full of criminals I'm becoming disillusioned with the NFL.  I never thought that would happen.  (If the Patriots start strong it will be hard not to get sucked back in though)

It is easier to be true to your moral compass when your a Lion fan.

• Heart 1

Very key point. One of the gender differences that hurts men is that it's always assumed that the man is the aggressor. According to this 'experiment' 40% of domestic violence is suffered by men. 

Very true but in the case of Rice, even if he was simply defending himself, it is hard to justify knocking her unconscious.

I grew up in Texas, so I don't have any problem with guys throwing punches around. The way I grew up, you can say anything to anybody you want, as long as you're prepared to back it up, and that means backing it up by winning the fight

and there's nothing wrong with a fair fight

but you don't hit girls

if you have to, you can get the gun away from her, but once the bitch is disarmed, you just hold her down until she cools off

Sounds like a jerk.

Stephen A. Smith, Ray Rice, or both?

Ray Rice deserves a bigger suspension. Big Ben got 6 games for getting accused of sexual assault(charges were never filed against him).

Smith is a douchebag and a racist. He's said stupid shit like this before, and finally it earned him a suspension.

I grew up in Texas, so I don't have any problem with guys throwing punches around. The way I grew up, you can say anything to anybody you want, as long as you're prepared to back it up, and that means backing it up by winning the fight

and there's nothing wrong with a fair fight

but you don't hit girls

if you have to, you can get the gun away from her, but once the bitch is disarmed, you just hold her down until she cools off

I don't fight fair....

Very true but in the case of Rice, even if he was simply defending himself, it is hard to justify knocking her unconscious.

exactly, all you have to do is block a few sissy punches

I was speaking in general, not in the Rice case at all.

It sounds like he was an ass. (Correction, "is"). 

But generally speaking, my point is that when it's male abusing female it gets much more publicity, in general. Now pop that on steroids because he's a "celebrity". The problem is the abuse in general, but the publicity makes it look much more one-sided than it is. I'd really love to see a campaign against domestic violence in general and not stereotype it by always showing a man hitting a woman, but show both variations as both are very common.

• Heart 1

Had a surgery 2 weeks ago. During the admission, the nurse asked all the usual questions. Her last one was "do you suffer domestic violence?" I looked at her and laughed. Said, you haven't met my wife yet, huh!? " When Mrs Z came back, I introduced her as the woman who beats me. We all laughed pretty hard!

I don't fight fair....

neither did anybody I ever fought in Houston

the part I left out was that after the "fair fight" I'm going to find out exactly how much money you have on you, if you can get to that

Stephen A. Smith, Ray Rice, or both?

Ray Rice deserves a bigger suspension. Big Ben got 6 games for getting accused of sexual assault(charges were never filed against him).

Smith is a douchebag and a racist. He's said stupid shit like this before, and finally it earned him a suspension.

Rice for the beating and Smith too for the comment.  I should have made Jerk a plural.

The story I heard the other day was that she hit him first and he hit her back.  She fell and hit her head on the railing, causing her to lose consciousness.

I think Stephen A is right to some degree.  It is never okay to hit a woman unless she is threatening your life, but that doesn't mean women have the right to go crazy and hit on their men, either.

w

Yes, and it starts young. Little girls are taught that it's perfectly acceptable to hit boys.
  • Heart 2

One of the gender differences that hurts men is that it's always assumed that the man is the aggressor. According to this 'experiment' 40% of domestic violence is suffered by men. 

Men tend to be larger and often physically stronger than women, so the harm caused by male aggression is potentially more serious. Yes, there are exceptions, but the size and strength are often to the man's advantage.

Men tend to be larger and often physically stronger than women, so the harm caused by male aggression is potentially more serious. Yes, there are exceptions, but the size and strength are often to the man's advantage.

No argument about that, but that doesn't make women doing it even remotely "OK". They still hurt men  -  often. Why? Because the men are taught young not to hit a woman so they continue to "take it".

Had a surgery 2 weeks ago. During the admission, the nurse asked all the usual questions. Her last one was "do you suffer domestic violence?" I looked at her and laughed. Said, you haven't met my wife yet, huh!? " When Mrs Z came back, I introduced her as the woman who beats me. We all laughed pretty hard!

To Kingtermits point about men being victims of domestic violence, I was asked similar questions when I broke my shoulder.  They asked a couple different ways to ensure my answers were consistent.  Mrs. Silly came in from parking the car while they were asking if I was being abused.  After they took me into the examination room, they asked a second time all the questions I answered while Mrs. Silly was present.

Later Mrs. Silly joked about it and I just smiled because I didn't feel like correcting her.  I truly appreciated the sincere concern and being given the same opportunities to report abuse that a woman would have been given.

• Heart 2

To Kingtermits point about men being victims of domestic violence, I was asked similar questions when I broke my shoulder.  They asked a couple different ways to ensure my answers were consistent.  Mrs. Silly came in from parking the car while they were asking if I was being abused.  After they took me into the examination room, they asked a second time all the questions I answered while Mrs. Silly was present.

Later Mrs. Silly joked about it and I just smiled because I didn't feel like correcting her.  I truly appreciated the sincere concern and being given the same opportunities to report abuse that a woman would have been given.

That's actually pretty cool to hear. :)

No argument about that, but that doesn't make women doing it even remotely "OK". They still hurt men  -  often. Why? Because the men are taught young not to hit a woman so they continue to "take it".

Was 12. Was at the local pool and I girl was there in the pool with me who was older and bigger than me and for some reason she was very pizzed at me calling me MF and all kinds of things. I told her to stop. She wouldn’t. I tried to walk away from her, but she followed. She taunted and taunted and wouldn’t quit. So, I turned around, tightened my fist and drew back. At that age, I was still very much a sissy kid. The fact that I was pushed enough to fight would have said a lot. I hated fighting. A woman who was there watching all this said, “(My name), if you do that, then you’re not the man I believe you to be.”

I dropped both my fist and my head and went home. I was sad that I had somehow almost let this woman, whom I liked and respected, down. Yet, the sad thing here is, she said absolutely nothing to the girl who was taunting me.

I will never support the concept of striking a woman.   That said, if you're in an elevator with a roid driven anger monster who can't think beyond the term "duh, football", it's probably best not to piss him off.

Agreed, 100%.  It needs to be said that sometimes, men do hit chicks (or other dudes), sometimes with little warning.  You should not continue to egg people on or berate them if they are all stupid with rage.  I didn't read or hear the interview, was that his point?

Was 12. Was at the local pool and I girl was there in the pool with me who was older and bigger than me and for some reason she was very pizzed at me calling me MF and all kinds of things. I told her to stop. She wouldn’t. I tried to walk away from her, but she followed. She taunted and taunted and wouldn’t quit. So, I turned around, tightened my fist and drew back. At that age, I was still very much a sissy kid. The fact that I was pushed enough to fight would have said a lot. I hated fighting. A woman who was there watching all this said, “(My name), if you do that, then you’re not the man I believe you to be.”

I dropped both my fist and my head and went home. I was sad that I had somehow almost let this woman, whom I liked and respected, down. Yet, the sad thing here is, she said absolutely nothing to the girl who was taunting me.

Yup.....I believe it completely. Sounds like a common treatment.

And when police respond to a domestic violence call, what do they usually do? Get there and handcuff the man (not the woman) before even find out anything about the situation. I've seen that in a number of Cops 'reality' shows as the standard handling.

I didn't read or hear the interview, was that his point?

I think so, but he said it badly and then that Michelle Beadle from Sports Nation started Tweeting her ass off until ESPN had to do something, so they canned him for a week.

Double standards are a way of life for men.

I work with a lot of women, almost all women.  They are amazingly inappropriate people for a work environment, but I don't run the department so I keep my mouth shut.  The other day they were watching a "medical" show talking graphically about women's sex organs.  They chuckled when I came in the break room to use the microwave.  I doubt it would have been the same if I had been watching a show about scantily clad women.  I am overly cautious about what I say to people here.

These days it's really easy for people to get fired up over non-PC comments by famous people.  I think most of the time it's overblown - but not this time. 

Now hold up a minute, sometimes people really just bring it on themselves, youtube is full of examples of stupid people that truly deserve to get their asses handed to them.  If RR (Ray Rice, not Roadrunner) was defending himself from his psycho gf who was repeatedly hitting him, then the use of force is justified, just that maybe he used too much of it.  Since we weren't there, we just don't know what happened, other than a professionally trained blunt-force trauma-inducing machine knocked out his girlfriend rather than leave the crazy bitch when the elevator opened.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you are all thinking, "that crazy bitch wouldn't stop beating on the professional athlete", but RR might have actually been in the wrong, too, so we can't discount that.

^^ This

See, that is just bullshit.  When I grew up, you didn't kick, and you didn't beat on anyone once the fight was effectively over.  Now, people get all stompy on the head of their knocked-out opponent, this is just despicable, and makes you basically a shithead who doesn't deserve to be in society.  I blame the mexicans for this.

Yes, and it starts young. Little girls are taught that it's perfectly acceptable to hit boys.

Do you remember these t-shirts from a few years back? When there were some complaints, they were shrugged off as an overreaction.

BOYSARESTUPID-2.jpg?1371816199

• Heart 1

See, that is just bullshit. When I grew up, you didn't kick, and you didn't beat on anyone once the fight was effectively over. Now, people get all stompy on the head of their knocked-out opponent, this is just despicable, and makes you basically a shithead who doesn't deserve to be in society. I blame the mexicans for this.

For the most part, I ignore you. But I'll respond to this one. My agreement to the comment is something I learned a long time ago - every fight can be a fight to the death. It's an old Budo code. That said, I do believe that there really is no such thing as a 'fair fight'. I fully expect that anyone who might attack me means to do me harm in any way they can. That doesn't mean, however, that I use or would use any force beyond what was necessary to protect myself or someone else. I would not 'beat or kick someone who was down'. But I would expect they might do that to me.

For the most part, I ignore you. But I'll respond to this one. My agreement to the comment is something I learned a long time ago - every fight can be a fight to the death. It's an old Budo code. That said, I do believe that there really is no such thing as a 'fair fight'. I fully expect that anyone who might attack me means to do me harm in any way they can. That doesn't mean, however, that I use or would use any force beyond what was necessary to protect myself or someone else. I would not 'beat or kick someone who was down'. But I would expect they might do that to me.

yep....if someone comes at you, they intend to harm you.

All you need do is disarm them...whether that leaves them conscious or not is up to them, essentially.

Double standards are a way of life for men.

I work with a lot of women, almost all women.  They are amazingly inappropriate people for a work environment, but I don't run the department so I keep my mouth shut.  The other day they were watching a "medical" show talking graphically about women's sex organs.  They chuckled when I came in the break room to use the microwave.  I doubt it would have been the same if I had been watching a show about scantily clad women.  I am overly cautious about what I say to people here.

Double standards are a way of life for both genders. What frustrates the hell of out of me is when someone can't see that on both sides.

• Heart 1

Ed Zachery

You don't need to beat the shit out of someone to win a fight. I'll do whatever I have to do to win, but I'm not one to keep fighting a guy when he is done.