What's the deal Max?

sheep_herder

A historical note for those who haven't been following NASCAR racing forever.

The very first Talladega 500 was run in 1969 upon completion of the biggest, fastest NASCAR track ever.  Cars and especially tires had never been stressed and tested at the speeds generated at this new track.  It was the first race for the winged warriors of Dodge.  Large numbers of tire failures during practice led to the one and only walkout strike in NASCAR history.  The field was mostly made up of replacement drivers.  Fans were offered free tickets to the next Daytona if they bought tickets to the Talladega race.

The race was run, the pace was controlled and an overnight shipment of tires sort of saved the day.  The drivers union had a very short life span and never surfaced again.

11 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

That is OK, and I listened to it off and on after it got started. I think I tuned in initially after they started for the red flag.

That red flag was scary.  Pit lane entrance is way too narrow the pit stalls start too close to the entrance.  

Just think what it was like back in the day when pit road speeds were unregulated.  Dare you to change tires on the right side of a car with other cars going by at 120 or so a couple of feet away.  In April of 1991 lives became more important that unregulated pit stops.  There was even a time when there were no walls between the track and the pits at many races.