I just realized

Dirtyhip

We talk about moving a lot.  We didn't save like you did, we'll likely retire closer to our time, which is more than 10 years.  We plan trips to looks at possible places to retire.  We hope to go to Utah this fall, I probably won't.

All change is hard and causes stress, even good change.

• Heart 2

I've moved 3 times since leaving my parents' home.

The biggest move was from Toronto to Vancouver. The good thing about having several family members, is giving some furniture away. Those especially with growing children needed their bookcases/shelves and bedframe.  

Maybe DH you'll be culling stuff.

36 minutes ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I just moved.  It fucking sucked.  But, I just finished moving the last of the crap from the apartment so hopefully this bullshit is over with.

I thought I had alot of stuff.  I did.  But my better half probably had three times what I have.  Moving that stuff sucked. There was alot of it.  It really sucked moving it.

Anyway, moving sucks.  It's not fun.  I'm hoping to finally relax now but I'll probably caught Covid while moving all that shit and I'll probably die soon.

Yay!

Mudkipz

Please don’t die. I need someone who can watch the Airedales in an emergency and drive the van with them in it to Camp Patty

moving sucks. Never doing it again. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I just moved.  It fucking sucked.  But, I just finished moving the last of the crap from the apartment so hopefully this bullshit is over with.

I thought I had alot of stuff.  I did.  But my better half probably had three times what I have.  Moving that stuff sucked. There was alot of it.  It really sucked moving it.

Anyway, moving sucks.  It's not fun.  I'm hoping to finally relax now but I'll probably caught Covid while moving all that shit and I'll probably die soon.

Yay!

Mudkipz

Oh come on, man. Tell us how you really feel!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I just moved.  It fucking sucked. 

We moved 1 1/2 years ago into our home.  It sucked.   We moved ourselves and our stuff to the new home.  LOTS of trips, with our Subaru and a 5 X 8 cargo trailer.  I don't think I broke anything.

I went thru my stuff and gave away, donated, recycled, or threw it out... whatever it took so I didn't have to move it.  I still moved a lot.

WoBG...  OMG she has a LOT more stuff that I do.  Just about everything had some reason to keep.  Most of it is still boxed up in the basement.  Moving all of this crap... sucked.

I never want to move again.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

I went out to try to relax tonight.  Someone launched a firework over my head and then someone complained about dog poop in the back yard.

Yup.  I thought buying a house would help me find some a piece of mind.  So far, I can't find any peace.

Mudkipz

Worst part of every hood is the people.  People can be selfish, and unkind.  

9 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

WoBG...  OMG she has a LOT more stuff that I do.  Just about everything had some reason to keep.  Most of it is still boxed up in the basement.  Moving all of this crap... sucked.

I have been going through the boxes in the basement that we had to move 27 years ago just making sure there are no valuables before I move them to the WM tote. My wife always stopped me from doing this before. Now she doesn’t know I’m doing it.

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My realtor thinks our home will sell extremely fast, so he said we better be ready when the time comes.

We moved into our new home in January of 2019.  WoBG and I worked on our old home for most of 2019.  We wen't in any hurry, your pace slows down when you are retired. 

I painted ALL of the walls, after I patched the holes for the pictures.  Stained the outside cedar siding (that always sucked I'm GLAD I never have to do that again).  About this time last year the real estate agent convinced me we had to replace the kitchen / dining room floor.   That took us about 2 months. 

We finally got the house listed.   In 5 days the house was sold.  Then buy wanted 3 types of inspections. We found out we needed a radon mitigation system to be installed to pass the radon test.  That took 2 more months and $1200.  After we passed the test, the closing was within 1 or 2 weeks.  

17 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

We finally got the house listed.   In 5 days the house was sold.  Then buy wanted 3 types of inspections. We found out we needed a radon mitigation system to be installed to pass the radon test.  That took 2 more months and $1200.  After we passed the test, the closing was within 1 or 2 weeks.  

When we sold our house in 2016 I was a bit worried about the radon test. We weren't in a high radon area and I don't think I've seen any mitigation ever in the neighborhood. But it was out of my control & buyer might walk. I briefly considered putting a fan next to the radon test collector. Almost...

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

When we sold our house in 2016 I was a bit worried about the radon test.

The buyer wanted 3 inspections; house, pests, and radon.   The one test I wasn't concerned about the radon test, and that's the one that failed.   The buyer didn't disclose the results of the other 2 tests.  I assume we passed those.

Those inspections are a bit of a scam. I mean there may be somebody somewhere that once found an issue. The license is super easy to get. The bigger inspection companies have online checklist and 1047 page report with pictures & graphs and disclaimers. But if they miss something the limit on damages is the cost of the inspection. Give me a GC that has been around the block a few years and call it good

On our home they found mold!!!!  The bath fans had broken loose from the roof vent. I bet there wasn't 1 foot square mold. A rag & some cleaner would have cleaned it up. But no...Moldeaters company had to come out & do it official. $1300 later. The roof inspection was a joke too. Couple yokels in a pickup from a couple hundred miles away. Couple nails in a suspect spot (under an eave) & bit of caulk. 5 year warranty. $750

All in all I couldn't sign off fast  enough. Because the roof & furnace were 23 years old

In the military, moving every three years  or so with a PCS (Permanent Change of Station). It was throw out the junk time to meet the weight limits for the move. I have now been in this home for over 25 years...and don't even want to think about it. For a true nightmare...go up into the attic. :frantics:

• Heart 2

21 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

Except for my childhood home, I have been in my current home longer than any other in my life, and I have no intention of moving out until they carry me out feet first.

^

This, but it’s a lot of work so that intention may change.

My son has been shopping for a bigger house. His father in law and I think he should add on to his house. His father in law would probably build it for him with possibly a paid helper. His kids enjoy sharing bedrooms and they make it work. His oldest is 12. Before you know it the need for a bigger house will start dropping. His present house has a lot of advantages that he will find hard to match. He could use an extra bedroom and a larger master bedroom with its own bath would be nice. This wouldn’t be hard to do.

He May be staying where he is to help us if needed. He has had career offers from other states that sounded good but turned them down. His kids love where they are.