What was your favorite game as a child?

Airehead

The COVID has people spending more time at home and apparently games including board games are seeing a surge in popularity. 

In my hood, we had great games of 4-square with tournaments and special rules for younger opponents.

Board games was Clue, outside games were baseball and Hide and Seek.   We took H&S seriously on our street.  Every kid (there were lots of us) would run home and come back in their special H&S all dark clothes with a huge area to hide in

• Heart 2

Bloody Tiger.

It was a great after dark game in our little town growing up because very few people had pools or fences and we all had big yards.

The object of the game was to get back to "base" before the bloody tiger caught you.

To play all the kids would get togehter and set up whose yards the bloody tiger could use to hide.  Usually it was the Orr's, the MacGregors and our yards.   Then a Bloody Tiger was selected to go hide.  Usually got a 100 count to do this.

Then all the other kids had to scatter out and try to "find" the bloody tiger.   If you found him, or her, you screamed Bloody Tiger and ran back to base.  Whoever the Bloody Tiger caught first was the next Bloody Tiger.

I could just see parents heads exploding today if you tried this in most towns.

• Heart 1

At home we'd often play Trouble.  Since it was pure luck, it was good for the family since everyone had an equal chance of winning.  When we were in the country, we'd play a lot of cards - solitaire, gin rummy, 21 and pinochle (with very flexible rules).  In the city, we had a lot of playground games like statue and red rover. I also recall playing the Game of Life - I liked adding all the little people pegs to the car.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Bloody Tiger.

It was a great after dark game in our little town growing up because very few people had pools or fences and we all had big yards.

The object of the game was to get back to "base" before the bloody tiger caught you.

To play all the kids would get togehter and set up whose yards the bloody tiger could use to hide.  Usually it was the Orr's, the MacGregors and our yards.   Then a Bloody Tiger was selected to go hide.  Usually got a 100 count to do this.

Then all the other kids had to scatter out and try to "find" the bloody tiger.   If you found him, or her, you screamed Bloody Tiger and ran back to base.  Whoever the Bloody Tiger caught first was the next Bloody Tiger.

I could just see parents heads exploding today if you tried this in most towns.

What was the incentive to go hunt the bloody tiger? 

44 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Risk also when I was a teen. 
Probably Monotony when I was younger. 
Physical was baseball and bike ramp jumping and fort building. 

Fort building--- we did that too.  We also had a game where everyone was an Indian and we picked field corn and made stuff with it.  As a little kid, I loved making mud pies all decorated with nature.  I blame that for my love of decorating cakes today.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

When we weren't shooting each other with bb guns we played wiffle ball.

We did a lot of this as well.  Also sat on the bank of the creek next to the house and tried to shoot mud dobbers when they landed to get mud.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Adventure and excitement.   It was just good fun with no real winner or loser.  Sort of like hide and go seek but outdoors and with a chase involved.

Anything with chase was always good unless someone stepped in a whistle pig hole.a groundhog in a backyard in summer

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Anything with chase was always good unless someone stepped in a whistle pig hole.a groundhog in a backyard in summer

No whistle pigs in Edmond Oklahoma that I knew of.  Lots of dog piles though, as the concept of using a bag to pick up dog poop had not made it to that part of the world yet.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jsharr said:

No whistle pigs in Edmond Oklahoma that I knew of.  Lots of dog piles though, as the concept of using a bag to pick up dog poop had not made it to that part of the world yet.

If you are lucky the piles desiccate nicely, for small piles anyhoo. :D

• Heart 1

I had foosball table that my friend an I spent a lot of time on.  For board game, I think we probably played Monopoly the most. 

As a teen my friend and I played a lot of Panzer General, a tactical war game.  I own one computer game, Panzer Corp, which is based on Panzer General.  If anyone wants to start a 'Play by E-Mail' game with me, drop me a PM.  I can get you hooked up.  I think it will take about a 20 minute, every other day, commitment.  

• Heart 1

This thread has brought back the memory of Sharks and Minnows. It was a variety of tag we played in the pool at the country club. We played it in the deep end, the more kids the better. One person was the shark and was on one side of the pool, minnows were on the other. As minnows were tagged they became sharks during the next round. The side of the pool was base. You kept tagging minnows until there were none left. Then it started over with a new shark. I can’t remember if it was the first or last person tagged who became the next shark. 

• Heart 1

Monopoly, Clue and Battleship for board games. We played a lot of cards. Pitch, 21, Spoons. Spoons was a full contact game with my cousins. One time were stuck inside at their place because of a blizzard. We got bored and started to play Forks!

Outside was riding bikes on the gravel streets of our little town. We liked to slam on the coaster brake and see who could skid farthest. Also a lot of H&S and Tag

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I would love to see an old video of a 5 year old @Kzoo screaming at the other kids to get off his lawn!    I am glad he still plays his favorite child hood game today! 

You're getting on my nerves..

I had a really cool 1/32 sale figure 8 race track I got for my 8th birthday.  That was a favorite.  Outside it was building forts and playing in the woods.  

• Heart 1

Kickball was my favorite outdoor group game. I spent a lot of alone time pretending stories with barbies. I had nine of them (most had short, curly hair) and lots of accessories and clothing. I liked battleship as a one on one game. And our favorite indoor group games were masterpiece and clue. 

These are indoor games so baseball, etc. is out.

I used to play a lot of different card games, with others like Pitch and Pinochle, and solo like various solitaire games and a game I invented using a standard 52-card deck to represent a baseball game: aces were home runs, 2's and 3's were outs or hit into double plays if there was a man on first, etc.

The favorite board game when very young was Monopoly then Chess took over in high school, Chess and Risk in college.

Yesterday I signed up for my first rated team match 3-day/move chess games in a while. I'm playing for Maryland in a match with Tennessee beginning July 15th.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, roadsue said:

Kickball was my favorite outdoor group game. I spent a lot of alone time pretending stories with barbies. I had nine of them (most had short, curly hair) and lots of accessories and clothing. I liked battleship as a one on one game. And our favorite indoor group games were masterpiece and clue. 

I remember Clue.  Forgot about that.  Good game.  Anybody remember this?

Winning Moves Parcheesi Royal Edition

• Heart 2

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I had a really cool 1/32 sale figure 8 race track I got for my 8th birthday.  That was a favorite.  Outside it was building forts and playing in the woods.  

I will lay off now.  Thank you for not yelling at me.

• Heart 1

My childhood was mostly spent outside until it was too dark to play outside.  We had a big vacant field across the street that was our playground so it was Riding bikes, BB gun wars, & all sorts of adventures in the field.  Later on it was surfing.  

We hated board games or cards & (still do) didn’t have them.  We basically came in at dark, washed up, ate dinner and watched TV until we passed out.

My wife had a very different upbringing and didn’t play outside, wasn’t allowed.  She basically grew up watching her baby brother & playing solitaire & other puzzles you can do by yourself.

Just now, ChrisL said:

You would have fit in well with my group of friends!

I was the dangerous kid that parents warned their kids about... funny thing is my parents did know it was actually me :)

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My childhood was mostly spent outside until it was too dark to play outside.  We had a big vacant field across the street that was our playground so it was Riding bikes, BB gun wars, & all sorts of adventures in the field.  Later on it was surfing.  

We hated board games or cards & (still do) didn’t have them.  We basically came in at dark, washed up, ate dinner and watched TV until we passed out.

My wife had a very different upbringing and didn’t play outside, wasn’t allowed.  She basically grew up watching her baby brother & playing solitaire & other puzzles you can do by yourself.

Board games, etc were for when it was too cold to be outside

32 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Once we got the bigger house, we got an AFX HO scale slot car track. I still have some of the old cars. The track got tossed when water got in our basement several years ago. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I remember Clue.  Forgot about that.  Good game.  Anybody remember this?

Winning Moves Parcheesi Royal Edition

Yes, my grandmother had this game and liked to play with us.  She expected us to follow the rules, my grandfather could be persuaded that "our rules" were the right rules

We also took the plastic army men, scattered them around the room and saw how many each of us could take out with a limited number of rubber bands. Sometimes it was like pool where you tried to bank or get a combination shot. One brother would get his soldiers into a “flying wedge” of sorts. Sometimes he would get lucky, other times it only took a couple shots to wipe his out!

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, groupw said:

We also took the plastic army men, scattered them around the room and saw how many each of us could take out with a limited number of rubber bands. Sometimes it was like pool where you tried to bank or get a combination shot. One brother would get his soldiers into a “flying wedge” of sorts. Sometimes he would get lucky, other times it only took a couple shots to wipe his out!

Oh I did the same with my pellet gun. We had a long but somewhat narrow backyard and Id set them up in the plants on one end of the yard and snipe them from the other end which was around 40’.  

Good times!

• Heart 1

We still play Globetrotters when we get together.  A couple years ago one of the kids found copies of the game for the other two.  It is an awesome game where you travel to cities around the world and do 'adventures'.  Some are good, some not and some expensive.  Each adventure is each city is something you can actually do.  When the three kids traveled after school many times theh would message back they had done something mentioned in the game.

You win keys to the city, but people can steal them, or you can go to a place like vegas, gamble and lose and be deported home.  

blogglobetrottersfull.jpg.888ef1804fbe2221eaa3c67fe8c0d09e.jpg

FB_IMG_1594062893966.thumb.jpg.1b429dd9e28825a9926db9835ebe2bb5.jpg

This picture was my wife making us sit for a picture after she absolutely crushed us this year at Christmas to become the reigning 'Champion of the World'

On time playing during the day we called the company to get an offical ruling on something weird that had happened that was not covered in the rule book

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1