One step closer to NHL starting to play

Mr. Silly

I have to say..., as a Canadian and someone who still plays 50-75 games a year..., this is stupid.

I have no more interest in watching hockey in August than I do watching baseball in November.  Just scrap the year and start over in the fall.  It wont mean anything...., the eventual champ will always have an asterix by their name.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

There is a chance the rest of the league will get infected

I don’t see how. You have to test negative to get into the restricted area. Once in, you don’t leave. Your hotels, all practice and game rinks, restaurants... all activities of daily life are contained within the bubble. No family, only prescreened, tested and quarantined media members and team employees present. 

this isn’t baseball playing before no fans but traveling around the country, this is sequestration.

In this particular playoff format, the top four seeds (determined by points percentage) in the East would be the Boston Bruins, Tampa Bay Lightning, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers. The top four teams in the West would be the St. Louis Blues, Colorado Avalanche, Vegas Golden Knights and Dallas Stars. Those eight teams will face off in a Round Robin in order to determine seeding for the First Round.

Here's what the play-in round in each conference will look like:

East

West

Pro basketball had 4 team camps shut down.  Major league soccer has had one team withdraw because 10 players and one coach tested positive. (can you say Dallas).  Major league baseball players are dropping out like flies.  NASCAR has now had it's first positive driver.  Remember NASCAR runs on cubic sponsor money and how long will that last if drivers become doubtful.  Minor league baseball is gone.

You have to be a big television draw if you intend to play for pay.

15 hours ago, Zephyr said:

the eventual champ will always have an asterix by their name.

Will they bother calling them the "champ"? No Stanley Cup will be awarded, I imagine?  No names added?  Was there a SC in war years like 41-45? 

Wow! Looked at Wiki and it is only not done for the Spanish Flu(!) and a lockout!

Since the 1914–15 season, the Cup has been won a combined 103 times by 20 current NHL teams and 5 defunct teams. It was not awarded in 1919 because of the Spanish flu epidemic and in 2005 because of the 2004–05 NHL lockout.

14 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t see how. You have to test negative to get into the restricted area. Once in, you don’t leave. Your hotels, all practice and game rinks, restaurants... all activities of daily life are contained within the bubble. No family, only prescreened, tested and quarantined media members and team employees present. 

this isn’t baseball playing before no fans but traveling around the country, this is sequestration.

You still get positives simply through mistakes made and random interactions, but it should be a reasonable firewall, and if well monitored, new cases can be stomped out before they become wildfires.

20 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I have to say..., as a Canadian and someone who still plays 50-75 games a year..., this is stupid.

I have no more interest in watching hockey in August than I do watching baseball in November.  Just scrap the year and start over in the fall.  It wont mean anything...., the eventual champ will always have an asterix by their name.

I would LOVE to get back on the rink!  I would LOVE to cheer for my team again.  But not like this.  This is just stupid.  Teams are going to drop out, there won't be a cup anyway, they'll screw up next season, too.  

Not to mention the message it sends.  I get trying to do some normal things, but this country is already doing everything like there's no virus.  We need to just slam the brakes, everyone, even the athletes.  Then, in a month or so, start next season

's 

27 minutes ago, 12string said:

I would LOVE to get back on the rink!  I would LOVE to cheer for my team again.  But not like this.  This is just stupid.  Teams are going to drop out, there won't be a cup anyway, they'll screw up next season, too.  

Not to mention the message it sends.  I get trying to do some normal things, but this country is already doing everything like there's no virus.  We need to just slam the brakes, everyone, even the athletes.  Then, in a month or so, start next season

's 

This almost seems to indicate you think the NHL players are smarter than an average American???? WTF????

42 minutes ago, 12string said:

's 

But there is money in it right?

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

But there is money in it right?

Yeah, TV revenues.  And the owners aren’t paying the players for the playoffs, but the players want to maximize income so to bolster the salary cap for the next season. There are lots of reasons why they want to do it, and given the structure, it’s as safe a means of doing it that will be found in the next 12 months. I have more optimism about these playoffs coming off than I do the next regular season.

8 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Will they bother calling them the "champ"? No Stanley Cup will be awarded, I imagine?  No names added?

Yes, the Cup will be awarded. Yes names will be inscribed. In some ways, this year will be more difficult, because some teams would need to survive a fifth, play-in round to the post season. Those teams would need to win 20 games, not 16 for the Cup. The only real benefit is that injuries won't play the usual factor, at least at the start of the games.

And the haters will always minimize the achievement. The Capitals couldn't win a Cup against a non-expansion team, afterall. 

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I’d like to register a complaint. The Sabres finished with 68 points. The Canadiens finished with 71, but played 2 more games. Had we played 2 more games, we’d be ahead of Montreal and have received that last playoff spot. Unfair and Unjust. 

You’re assuming the Sabres would win 2 in a row after going 3-7 in the previous 10? Who were their next two scheduled opponents. For giggles.

NHL used points percentages for games played. MTL was .500, Buffalo 0.493, tied with NJ.

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What am I missing? Isn't "hockey" a "winter" sport?  Or is this the completion of a suspended season, and it is all about some weird dollars & cents decisions?

This is a play-in round and then the playoffs to finalize this 2019-2020 season. They’ll then postpone the start of 2020/2021 season until probably January. Pretty smart, because they won’t have fans in the seats before then. 

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't think it's just the money.  No one won the cup this year.  :(

Read PZ's post!  The Cup is there for the taking (by some subset of the league)!  This is gonna be a LEGIT championship!  No way it will ever be "looked down on" by the hockey connoisseurs. :whistle:

On 7/6/2020 at 2:03 PM, Mr. Grumpy said:

I'm wondering about NFL, NBA, and NHL seasons.  The Orioles at Marlins games for Mon. and Tues. were cancelled because 14 Marlins players and staff tested positive for C19.

Now 4 more Marlins have tested positive but the Wed.-Thurs. Marlins at Orioles games are still on - "if tests are ACCEPTIBLE."

Fuck that! Florida's been slow to use masks and social distance - both still just "advisories" at the state level with varying and confusing rules in counties and cities. For some reason, no face masks in church is ok!

So their team and staff, over half infected, are going to come to Baltimore, play against the Orioles, infect some of them and spread COVID-19 in Maryland, which has been doing a good job controlling it.  If it wasn't for the huge infection rate in Washington, D.C. hammering the two Maryland Counties that border on it,  Maryland's rates would be extremely low.  No one in my 573,000 pop. county, centered on Annapolis, bordering Baltimore, and including the far-eastern D.C. suburbs, has died of COVID in nearly two weeks.

Bringing infected Floridians to Maryland so Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who made his billions skimming money off asbestos and cigarette-caused cancer settlements, can profit at the expense and possibly lives of others.

23 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Pittsburgh - Philly tomorrow at 4 pm. As interesting a scrimmage as there will ever be.

The play is a bit sloppy, that should be expected though.  I have a feeling everyone in the tournament will be sloppy for the for couple rounds.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:22 PM, MickinMD said:

So their team and staff, over half infected, are going to come to Baltimore, play against the Orioles, infect some of them and spread COVID-19 in Maryland, which has been doing a good job controlling it.  If it wasn't for the huge infection rate in Washington, D.C. hammering the two Maryland Counties that border on it,  Maryland's rates would be extremely low.  No one in my 573,000 pop. county, centered on Annapolis, bordering Baltimore, and including the far-eastern D.C. suburbs, has died of COVID in nearly two weeks.

I don't get it?????  Baltimore is pretty similar to DC in cases (~12k each) and deaths (413 vs 586).  Neither is insanely high.

image.png.d8a611b157b1900e35ff2b462e1b706c.png

image.png.33fc02180bfc1604f5fc628df0dbf7fc.png

14 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

asterisk associated with  strike-shortened season's championship? 

Well, in things like Wiki, if is usually a reference letter, but definitely you get the point.  "strike shortened" or "locked out" or COVID-shortened will be noted and considered.

image.thumb.png.a9344a167e4047976709f719589759c5.png

But the NHL has only had a lockout and a flu keeping things from happening/finishing.  This year will earn an asterisk and/or a reference letter, don't you think? 

Interesting to think a Stanley Cup doesn't have to be an NHL event. That would be neat if the Russkies decided to declare they want to be in the Stanley Cup championship. What's the process for that?

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Well, in things like Wiki, if is usually a reference letter, but definitely you get the point.  "strike shortened" or "locked out" or COVID-shortened will be noted and considered.

Let’s looks at these baseball references. Tell me where you see a notation about strike-shortened seasons? Cancelled playoffs, yes. But shortened seasons? No one officially cares.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

But the NHL has only had a lockout and a flu keeping things from happening/finishing.  This year will earn an asterisk and/or a reference letter, don't you think? 

That suggests that you don't know there have been lockout/strike shortened NHL seasons, because once the labor dispute gets resolved, the championship tournament happens, and the Cup is fairly won.

B6D97BC8-80E7-43F5-8C46-C2B7852CA2E2.png

46261831-267E-4910-BB2F-3D1C9929A250.png

E66CAD30-32BD-4581-B1FC-15EA2FD8922B.png

F7F66DE0-E21B-452A-BFDE-3B9EE6DCFB7C.png