USPS

Mr. Silly

We haven't received any mail since last Wednesday.   I understand Saturday was a national holiday but we should have received something Thursday, Friday and today.  We didn't.  Mrs. Grumpy called the post office to ask 'What the fuck?'  The response was they suspended mail delivery because of COVID.  Well, I've seen their trucks around delivering packages so they're concerns for the virus seem a bit selective.  

Have you been getting your mail?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

We haven't received any mail since last Wednesday.   I understand Saturday was a national holiday but we should have received something Thursday, Friday and today.  We didn't.  Mrs. Grumpy called the post office to ask 'What the fuck?'  The response was they suspended mail delivery because of COVID.  Well, I've seen their trucks around delivering packages so they're concerns for the virus seem a bit selective.  

No. I haven't been getting mail regularly.  A replacement Costco Visa was supposed to arrive by June 30, mailed to my apartment.  The old one is working but expires 7/31.  If I don't get it in a couple days, I'll have to request another.

I've also gotten a few pieces of damaged mail in the last month or so that arrived in a plastic bag the USPS put it in.

1 hour ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

We just got some mail today.

Don't  get me started..USPS sucks...about 4 years now maybe more since we had decent service. I had a resident in my office this AM looking for a package with a delivery receipt of Friday 4:43pm..It wasn't left in the mailroom  or a lockbox..it was in the service side of the mailroom on a shelf...along with about 8 other packages. The guy came today..he had lots of packages.some small enough to go in the mailbox...including meds..he had them all over the mailroom..every bit of counter space was covered. :angry: Service is extremely poor.

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

Yes, but sometimes it's a bit slow.  Our mail people have become quite insistent on no contact delivery.  They do not want to hand a package to a resident.  They want to put it down and step away before you go get it.  I haven't seen our regular driver in several weeks.

Then of course there is the problem of having a new boss with a history of wanting to do away with the service, but I won't talk about that here.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Our mail people have become quite insistent on no contact delivery.  They do not want to hand a package to a resident.  They want to put it down and step away before you go get it. 

I was out in the yard one day and USPS showed up with a package starts to drive down my driveway.  I walked over to the car (we are on a rural delivery route), the car stops, and it was something like this..   

Talking to me... 'Don't come any closer!  You need to be 6 feet away.  The person then gets out of the car, and states waking to deliver the package.  My front door is 140 feet away.  I tell the person...  Can't you just leave it on the drive way???  OK...   I ask about the other mail.    The delivery person gets back into the car backs out of the driveway, delivers the mail into the mailbox out along the road.  

Yeah... they must have 'rules' to follow.  

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, jsharr said:

Call down to the local branch of the post office and tell them if they don’t get your mail to you you’re going postal

When you call them, the first thing they do is ask you to enter your zip code.  That take you to a recording that ends by saying, "... because, 'fuck you', that's why."  OK, maybe I am paraphrasing.  They knowledge in the recording that some people may not be getting their medications because, "fuck you."

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

When you call them, the first thing they do is ask you to enter your zip code.  That take you to a recording that ends by saying, "... because, 'fuck you', that's why."  OK, maybe I am paraphrasing.  They knowledge in the recording that some people may not be getting their medications because, "fuck you."

Does it mention you specifically?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I was out in the yard one day and USPS showed up with a package starts to drive down my driveway.  I walked over to the car (we are on a rural delivery route), the car stops, and it was something like this..   

Talking to me... 'Don't come any closer!  You need to be 6 feet away.  The person then gets out of the car, and states waking to deliver the package.  My front door is 140 feet away.  I tell the person...  Can't you just leave it on the drive way???  OK...   I ask about the other mail.    The delivery person gets back into the car backs out of the driveway, delivers the mail into the mailbox out along the road.  

Yeah... they must have 'rules' to follow.  

They do, and I imagine some folks make their lives hell, and some make it nicer.  Until they interact with you a few times, they probably worry you are the former :(

15 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I only get mail couple times / week. I don't get a lot

I check once or twice a week.  Once if I haven't ordered anything, and twice if something is "expected".  Otherwise, most stuff is left at the door as it is FedEx or UPS or bulky USPS.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

It ends by saying, "This especially applies to you, Mr. Grumpy, and the horse you rode in on too."

Do you live in the middle of nowhere?  On a rural postal route? Does you mailperson wear a uniform and drive a USPS truck?  I'd see a lot of rationale for the USPS going to fewer delivery days per week due too COVID.

I still haven't gotten the USPS sent replacement Costco Visa from Citi that I got a text was mailed on 6/23.

On 6/22, I got an email that my other Citi Card, Double Cash Mastercard, was expiring in a couple months and "Your new card will arrive in about one month in a generic envelope."

On 7/2, I got a text that the Double Cash card had been shipped!

I'm going to do the message-box thing with Citi again and get another Costco Visa mailed to me - the current one is working after a cleaning and expires July 31.

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you live in the middle of nowhere?  On a rural postal route? Does you mailperson wear a uniform and drive a USPS truck?  I'd see a lot of rationale for the USPS going to fewer delivery days per week due too COVID.

I live in suburbia, it is civilized.  The mail person does wear a uniform and drive a USPS truck.  

I don't think the issue is with delivery.  The letter carrier works alone and it is easy for him to keep a safe distance.  I suspect the problem is in the post office itself where they have to process and sort the mail.  That said, if GM can open assembly plants and restaurants can open their kitchens, it shouldn't be too big of a problem to put up Plexiglas  shielding, require masks and gloves and maintain a safe distance.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

That said, if GM can open assembly plants and restaurants can open their kitchens, it shouldn't be too big of a problem to put up Plexiglas  shielding, require masks and gloves and maintain a safe distance.  

You're assuming, I guess, that GM and restaurants are "safe"?  Not sure how accurate that is.  It is VERY EASY to open, quite a bit tougher to be safe about it.

the mailing agency has seen 60 postal workers die from symptoms related to COVID-19. About 2,400 have tested positive for coronavirus-related disease while a whopping 17,000—or 3% of the USPS workforce—have been sent home on quarantine.

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2020/05/these-federal-agencies-have-seen-most-covid-19-deaths/165578/

Mail is SO 2019

I get nothing of consequence in the mail that can't be delivered by far more economical means.  LAtely, our mail carrier has been skipping days here and there.  Fine with me, 2 or three deliveries a week would be fine.

Although, yesterday, the Ollie's 4th of July weekend sale ad arrived.  My wife was PO'd

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

Mail is SO 2019

I get nothing of consequence in the mail that can't be delivered by far more economical means.  LAtely, our mail carrier has been skipping days here and there.  Fine with me, 2 or three deliveries a week would be fine.

Although, yesterday, the Ollie's 4th of July weekend sale ad arrived.  My wife was PO'd

The mail people now deliver packages.

20 hours ago, Further said:

Yep, just emptied the box, nothing really worth crossing the street for but they are still delivering

I wanted to put a trash can under the mailbox and tip the mailman to sort if for me or maybe just throw it all away. They said they can’t do that.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I wanted to put a trash can under the mailbox and tip the mailman to sort if for me or maybe just throw it all away. They said they can’t do that.

You could do a little DIY and have the trash can below the mailbox, and install a trapdoor in the mailbox that opens the trapdoor anytime the front mailbox door is closed.  Mail goes in the front of the box and trash goes out through the trapdoor.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Junk mail is paying mail.  It keeps the price of regular mail down.

I buy stuff online and the first thing they do is send me a catalog. What part of online do they not understand? People who shop online don’t want their old fashioned catalog, well I guess during the big toilet paper shortage of 2019 they might.:whistle:

2 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

The electric bill, a bank statement and a shit-ton of junk.

So, the electric bill could have been an e-statement (go ahead and change to that), and the bank statement is already an e-statement and you are just wasting paper and money (go ahead and cancel the paper copy).  The rest was junk.  So, all this fuss over a lot of unnecessary stuff :(

• Haha 1