Hit and run

Allen

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Do you have a security camera anywhere outdoors?  Can you park the car indoors?

No security cameras, but it would not have happened here at the house, the driveway is a half mile long. 
I do park in the carport, so the car is out of the weather. 

Just the lens with no body damage?  I have heard unverified rumors that sometimes heat can cause a lens to crack or fail but I've never seen it happen.

If it is just the lens it's more likely vandalism in a parking lot somewhere.  We had the door window broken out by kids scaling quarters across the lot.

We caught them with a note from a witness and the help of the police.   hehehehe.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Just the lens with no body damage?  I have heard unverified rumors that sometimes heat can cause a lens to crack or fail but I've never seen it happen.

If it is just the lens it's more likely vandalism in a parking lot somewhere.  We had the door window broken out by kids scaling quarters across the lot.

We caught them with a note from a witness and the help of the police.   hehehehe.

There is some green paint below it from whomever backed into me, but it did not dent the metal, just scuffed the paint. 

15 hours ago, Allen said:

Went out to my car and noticed the driver’s side tail light lens is broken. No idea when or where it happened. 
Damnit. 

My guess is it's more likely a kid's ball or something hit it.

My last car, a 1997 Ford Taurus, was bumped in the rear bumper, by a hit-and-run driver, so mildly it was hard to see where it was bumped.  But it was enough to trigger the air bags which popped and caused hundreds of windshield cracks.

Since the car was 16 years-old when that occurred on Dec. 31, 2012, the cost of repair was more than the $900 Blue Book value so State Farm totaled it.  The weird thing was that State Farm considered dealer mark-up, taxes, etc. and cut me a check for $2992 - giving me $2092 more than I would have gotten from a trade-in!

I had spent a few years at car shows, online, etc., waiting for Soc.Sec. to kick-in in late 2012 before paying cash for a new car and had already decided on a Vortex Blue 2011-2013 Honda Fit.  The used cars were nearly as expensive as new on that Consumer Reports Best-Bang-for-the-Buck and Most Fun to Drive car, so on Jan. 8, 2013, I turned-in the rental car State Farm had supplied and the rental car people drove me to the Honda Dealer where my brand new 2013 Honda Fit was ready to be picked up.

2 hours ago, Allen said:

There is some green paint scuff marks below the cracked lens. 

well, yeah, a GREEN ball.

My daughter's car got hit by flying construction debris in a windstorm.  The Construction company took car of it all.  $3800 so far. 

The car she drove in college got one door crushed by a transit bus in a parking lot.  Estimate was about $3000 from a body shop, they wrote me a check.  Junkyard door, shot the whole car at Maaco, new wheels and tires, got a brand new looking car for free.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Allen said:

There is some green paint scuff marks below the cracked lens. 

That’ snot paint. Some bears have green moss growing on their teeth and they have been known to like chewing on tail lights. This probably happened at home in your carport. Look around and see if you find any bear scat nearby. The game commission may buy you a new tail light since it was one of their bears that did the damage.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Junk yards are wonderful places. Such a good feeling, when you find what you need.  Do they still let you go remove the items of interest, or do they do the finding and removal? In olden days, the hunt was half the fun.

I’ve called the local yard. They don’t have an example of my car yet, mine’s a 2019. 
Our yard will pull a part for a charge or you can pull it yourself. The search is all high tech now. They have the cars in a database, and drive you out to it in a golf cart. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’ve called the local yard. They don’t have an example of my car yet, mine’s a 2019. 
Our yard will pull a part for a charge or you can pull it yourself. The search is all high tech now. They have the cars in a database, and drive you out to it in a golf cart. 

A green golfcart?  :scratchhead:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

I remember a junk yard guy telling me, there's some rabbits ( VW ) over in that corner, and there might be one over that way, be careful over there, Bud spotted a snake yesterday.... 

I pulled an engine in that yard, well I did all the unbolting, they came by with a loader to do the actual lifting. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Junk yards are wonderful places. Such a good feeling, when you find what you need.  Do they still let you go remove the items of interest, or do they do the finding and removal? In olden days, the hunt was half the fun.

I have spent some happy hours in junk yards looking for Corvair parts. 

• Heart 1