Deplane, deplane

Randomguy

3000 tigers guy just got removed from a plane.

Stewardess asked him to move seats and he said no, his stomach didn't feel well.  In reality, his stomach felt fine enough, it is just that whenever a stewardess asks you to move seats, it is to move you to a crappier seat.   He didn't say that, he said the first thing that came to his mind, because he didn't want to not give a reason for being a bit dickish and not moving seats.

The shitty part is that you can think he is stupid for saying that (because of course you can't say that because people are freaked about the pandemic), except that he had to put a cat down last night while he was in MT to deal with some estate stuff (his mother died a few months ago) and he got really drunk after and also couldn't sleep then or all day today.   He was not in his right mind.

The backstory is that he had a cat that has been on borrowed time for 5 years, but has had 60 or 70 lives.  While he was away for a few days, he had a woman to stop in and feed his cats and while feeding the second day, noticed this cat suddenly cratering.  She stopped back in a few hours later, and noted horrible breathing issues and very labored living, and suggested the cat should be euthanized.  She used to be a vet tech, btw. 

My buddy made the hard choice to have him put down, and he was a sobby mess afterward (I talked with him on the phone for an hour starting at 2:30 am).  Say what you will about him (it is all true, btw), but he cares about his animals incredibly deeply.  Anyway, I was on the phone with him while he was on the plane and got deboarded.

I will now entertain questions if you have any.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Do you think he should have just been nice and said "Yes I will move" assuming the airline was asking him for a good reason?

I don't think so, having been the victim of seat moves previously that invariably put me in a non-reclining seat or by screaming children or right next to the restroom with people's butts in my face the whole flight.  I am done with seat moves unless I am offered something amazing or it gets me out of a middle seat.  3000 tigers guy has flown overseas for work for several decades, and is far more reluctant to change to worse seats.  He should have just said he wasn't willing to change seats instead of being namby-pamby about it.

• Heart 1

So they removed him b/c he said he had an upset stomach? Seems unnecessarily cautious.

In literally 1000's of flights, I can't ever remember being asked to move seats except for the time they came back to coach & asked me if I wanted to go up to 1st class.

• Awesome 1

Fair or not, on a flight the crew is in charge. I can't tell if this was a request of the "would you be willing to" variety or if they were basically telling him to move.  If it's the later, your only recourse is to leave, or comply with their request and try to get compensation later.  If it's the first, you can stay in your seat, but there was usually a good reason they were asking you to move and you're likely to be stuck with a solo child next to your or  some other negative.   In fairness, I would have no problem rejecting a request to switch to a middle seat these days since it seems less safe.

But flying is stressful under the best of times and these are not the best of times. It's worse if you're also worrying about something else like your animals . I don't know the story of the tiger guy, but generally, in a fight with flight crew, you're going to lose.

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

So they removed him b/c he said he had an upset stomach? Seems unnecessarily cautious.

I think they are now trained that if anyone says anything mentioning they have ever been sick a day in their lives, then they get pulled off the plane.  Panic stuff, but I am sure nobody and no airline wants the finger pointed at them saying "Frontier Airline let a positive covid case fly knowingly, and I was in the seat next to the sickie and the stewardess/airline failed to act".  They go way overboard, but they kind of have to now.

53 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Fair or not, on a flight the crew is in charge. I can't tell if this was a request of the "would you be willing to" variety or if they were basically telling him to move.  If it's the later, your only recourse is to leave, or comply with their request and try to get compensation later.  If it's the first, you can stay in your seat, but there was usually a good reason they were asking you to move and you're likely to be stuck with a solo child next to your or  some other negative.   In fairness, I would have no problem rejecting a request to switch to a middle seat these days since it seems less safe.

But flying is stressful under the best of times and these are not the best of times. It's worse if you're also worrying about something else like your animals . I don't know the story of the tiger guy, but generally, in a fight with flight crew, you're going to lose.

I am at the stage where I think I would pretty forcefully stick to my guns.  "I selected this seat purposely, and am unwilling to move.  Please find another stooge to take the seat someone else is rejecting for cause".

As I am getting older, I think the change request is less likely.  They are probably taught to ask a younger healthy looking male to move, other things being equal.  I have noticed that they never seem to ask chicks to move seats.  

I have willingly traded my window seat (I always try to get one) so a kid can look out the window.  In those cases, though, I was the one initiating it, and I was sure I wasn't getting a broken or a middle seat.  Window seats are exciting for kids, you see.

I go to the gas station and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I go to the LGS and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I go to the building supply store and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I can only imagine that if I walk up to the airport terminal building it has a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

And your buddy is sitting on a plane and says.... "I'm sick"

They should have carted his butt to jail or the Outback in Australia. 

29 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I go to the gas station and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I go to the LGS and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I go to the building supply store and I see a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

I can only imagine that if I walk up to the airport terminal building it has a sign that says... "if you are sick, stay out!"

And your buddy is sitting on a plane and says.... "I'm sick"

They should have carted his butt to jail or the Outback in Australia. 

And made him eat a Bloomin' Onion! 

45 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

@Randomguy was 3000 tigers guy flying from MT to CO? He may have been on a regional jet and they wanted to distribute the weight more evenly. I’ve been on flights where they did that. Not moving? Not flying then. 

Full flight, he said.  It is regional, I have been on that flight a few times.

Missoula is a cute little airport.