Apparently indoor bars are back in business in Maryland

MickinMD

Just a couple weeks ago, my cousin Ed was asking via email, Facebook, etc. if the state rules had been changed about the numbers allowed in outdoor bar/restaurant seating.  Looks like he's back in business indoors. The Facebook comments ("Wing Night at The Birdcage tonight folks!!! Buy 5 and get 5 FREE! Don't forget to come on out tomorrow night for our Ladies Night/Karaoke with Samantha starting at 7. Always a lot of fun and some pretty good singers too!" "Ok we are going to try again to get our Thursday night "Showtime Trivia" going with our fantastic host Ron!!!) show Ed's open indoors! My brother's band Switch plays there on the last Friday of the month in normal times and I'll have to ask him if he'll be there soon - I know the band is practicing Wed. nights in my brother's basement.

image.png.66287ee6f7ddef9f6b9dba0f54c2f1e3.png

image.png.97f2eb9d5955bfdcab09cee4782a2104.png

18 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's a shame.  Good luck to the patrons.

Good luck to the folks who innocently interact with the patrons.  The patrons are making a choice.  The folks they pass COVID to had no idea they were getting it because someone wanted a fun night of karaoke!

26 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Interesting given how high the positive numbers are growing but Maryland  isn’t as fast as Delaware. Only a matter of time. 

Delaware has more Philly people visiting, a high Covid rate area. The Maryland beach is a bit more diverse.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Good luck to the folks who innocently interact with the patrons. 

Eggactly. Close the bars and protect those who aren’t going but will interact with those who do elsewhere.

• Heart 1

CT has delayed phase 3 which would have involved opening Bars and indoor eating.  One of my favorite high end restaurants has new ads declaring happy hour to be back..............on an outdoor patio with social distancing and masks.  One assumes that masks will come off for drinking and eating.  The only time we have ventured out to try outdoor eating was a semi rainy day (large umbrella over table) with the nearest patrons about 20 feet away.  I don't think I'd like to try that on a good day.

On a side note, CT had no virus related deaths yesterday, a first in a long time.

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

CT has delayed phase 3 which would have involved opening Bars and indoor eating.  One of my favorite high end restaurants has new ads declaring happy hour to be back..............on an outdoor patio with social distancing and masks.  One assumes that masks will come off for drinking and eating.  The only time we have ventured out to try outdoor eating was a semi rainy day (large umbrella over table) with the nearest patrons about 20 feet away.  I don't think I'd like to try that on a good day.

On a side note, CT had no virus related deaths yesterday, a first in a long time.

I feel like the transition to smarter "european-style" downtown areas has been missed by many communities.  Our local "town center" has peripheral parking garages all around the core of store and restaurants, but it also has some street parking in front of the businesses.  They close off the center street on weekends, and street parking represents about 1% of total available spaces, so I can't understand - especially during COVID times - why they haven't permanently closed the main street and erected outdoor seating all up and down the road.  Keep indoor dining locked down, and spread the dining out along a long and wide road with lots of air circulation and sunlight.  Just seems dopey to me to not support restaurants in a smart way, rather than just in a lip service way.  

22 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I feel like the transition to smarter "european-style" downtown areas has been missed by many communities.  Our local "town center" has peripheral parking garages all around the core of store and restaurants, but it also has some street parking in front of the businesses.  They close off the center street on weekends, and street parking represents about 1% of total available spaces, so I can't understand - especially during COVID times - why they haven't permanently closed the main street and erected outdoor seating all up and down the road.  Keep indoor dining locked down, and spread the dining out along a long and wide road with lots of air circulation and sunlight.  Just seems dopey to me to not support restaurants in a smart way, rather than just in a lip service way.  

We are doing that here.  Cities and towns are making room for restaurants to expand outward onto the sidewalk and into the street.  This will carry us till late fall when the cold returns.

With the recognition (some had already postulated it) that the virus may be spreading in micro particles as well as in airborne droplets moving indoors looks less promising.  I expect one of the growing business opportunities in the coming months to be air filtration systems for buildings that can catch and kill virus particles.

In the meantime, that's not good news for business openings.  In fact, it may indicate a lessening of blame for the resurgence of the virus on beach goers and more on air conditioned buildings in the hot parts of the country.

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In the meantime, that's not good news for business openings.  In fact, it may indicate a lessening of blame for the resurgence of the virus on beach goers and more on air conditioned buildings in the hot parts of the country.

Everything I read seems to show that young folks are getting sick from INDOOR exposure especially bars.  Younger folks sick will make it seem less deadly, but it shows that indoors is really an AWFUL place for folks to be with many other people.  As a pragmatic and public health approach that would balance folks' desires to get out and eat & drink as well as to help keep restaurants and bars alive, but also keep people semi-safe, it is hard to see why expanded outdoor dining is not being implemented across the board. 

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Everything I read seems to show that young folks are getting sick from INDOOR exposure especially bars.  Younger folks sick will make it seem less deadly, but it shows that indoors is really an AWFUL place for folks to be with many other people.  As a pragmatic and public health approach that would balance folks' desires to get out and eat & drink as well as to help keep restaurants and bars alive, but also keep people semi-safe, it is hard to see why expanded outdoor dining is not being implemented across the board. 

Younger folks were more or less protected back during the stay at home days and perhaps the death total reflects that as the virus found it's way into older enclaves.  Now that the case load is much younger it's possible that we will begin to see more young deaths.