I Missed A Payment :(

Razors Edge

I would like to know if @JerrySTL or @Chris... can explain British TV licensing.  It is foreign to me, and my Brit buddy always struggled to explain it.

These folks actually made an effort to make it look real, although almost all the links are bogus.

image.png.554e15d6c772d4109c6b69c7a3c53295.png

image.png.8d35d413932d90edd4850e5371485612.png

5 minutes ago, 2Far said:

We had to have a TV license whilst in SA. A holdover from the Brits, I guess. It was a small price to pay for commercial-free programming. Well, they had commercials, but only between shows.

We call that PBS here in the states :whistle:

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I would like to know if @JerrySTL or @Chris... can explain British TV licensing.  It is foreign to me, and my Brit buddy always struggled to explain it.

These folks actually made an effort to make it look real, although almost all the links are bogus.

image.png.554e15d6c772d4109c6b69c7a3c53295.png

image.png.8d35d413932d90edd4850e5371485612.png

It's been 30 years ago for me so things might have changed. If you have a TV you had to pay an annual fee. I don't think that it mattered if you had cable, satellite, or OTA antenna. That's why the BBC (aka The Beeb) tv and radio stations were commercial free. The Beeb sent out vehicles which could tell if a TV was on in a residence and crosscheck against licenses. I think that this started to have problems as computer monitors emitted similar electronic waves plus the switch away from tube type TVs.

24 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

It's been 30 years ago for me so things might have changed. If you have a TV you had to pay an annual fee. I don't think that it mattered if you had cable, satellite, or OTA antenna. That's why the BBC (aka The Beeb) tv and radio stations were commercial free. The Beeb sent out vehicles which could tell if a TV was on in a residence and crosscheck against licenses.

Yeah, IIRC, that's how it worked in S.A. circa 1984