$1.43 per second

jsharr

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

pfft.  Based on working time, a Top Fuel driver makes much more.

How many runs do they make in a race weekend? A dozen?  At a handful of seconds each, that's gotta be pretty competitive with all but a young Mike Tyson bout.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How many runs do they make in a race weekend? A dozen?  At a handful of seconds each, that's gotta be pretty competitive with all but a young Mike Tyson bout.

Perhaps 8 runs if they get to the finals at about 4 seconds each (rounded up for those who are fast enough to win) is 32 seconds of work.  Now that considers that suiting up, starting, burnouts and debrief time before the next round don't count so it's not completely fair.

Then there is fan and autograph time, but that's for a second income based on fan sales of shirts, hats, die cast etc.  For some, that income is larger than race winnings.

Then of course there is sponsor time, visiting factories and giving talks and slapping flesh.  That's where the real income comes from though.

It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Perhaps 8 runs if they get to the finals at about 4 seconds each (rounded up for those who are fast enough to win) is 32 seconds of work.  Now that considers that suiting up, starting, burnouts and debrief time before the next round don't count so it's not completely fair.

Then there is fan and autograph time, but that's for a second income based on fan sales of shirts, hats, die cast etc.  For some, that income is larger than race winnings.

Then of course there is sponsor time, visiting factories and giving talks and slapping flesh.  That's where the real income comes from though.

It's a tough life but someone has to do it.

At $20,000.00 per run, 8 runs could cost you a bit of coin.  Three $6000 crankshafts alone to get 8 runs in would add up.  

25 minutes ago, jsharr said:

At $20,000.00 per run, 8 runs could cost you a bit of coin.  Three $6000 crankshafts alone to get 8 runs in would add up.  

And I am personally aware of this due to the curtailment of my racing career some decades ago for budgetary reasons.  No sponsors could find room in their budgets for me.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

And I am personally aware of this due to the curtailment of my racing career some decades ago for budgetary reasons.  No sponsors could find room in their budgets for me.

Same for Greg Ray, who I used to work for.  IRL champ but could not get a sponsor.  Strange.

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I remember my Dad telling me about the big deal when he got a raise to $0.60/hour and it was a big deal because he was earning a cent for every minute he worked

Been there, done that, didn’t get a tee shirt. A month later I got a raise to $.75 an hour.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

We had a business partner from down south running locally here in the Northern Nationals several years ago (early 2000's).  He requested we sponsor him for his race up here by paying for 'engines'.  I honesty can’t remember the cost per engine but it was astronomical and he thought maybe we could sponsor a few of them for him.  I thought feeding piles of $100 bills through the shredder was a better use of the money and time.