Would you spend $49 so that a picture of you could watch a baseball game?

Kirby

The Chicago White Sox are having a charity drive where fans can pay $49 to have a cardboard cut out of themselves sit in the stadium for the team's first home games. I don't believe you get any popcorn or cracker jacks with that.  Personally, I might pay more than that to avoid going to a baseball game in person.  :nodhead:

• Awesome 1

That’s how I feel. I have never gone to a pro ball game of any kind except when my son was playing in an all star basketball game in Cleveland and we were invited to stay and watch the pros play right after the all star game. I wasn’t impressed but then again it was Cleveland.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Do you get to keep the cutout?  Is it lifesize?  Can I get mine in a speedo?  That way I could give it to my wife for Christmas too!

They don't say no speedos in the photo guidelines so I think you're good.  You do get to either pick it up after the games, or pay extra to have it shipped to you.  If you buy more than one cutout, your cutouts will be seated together at the games.  The cutout isn't lifesize unless you are very short.  approximately 3 by 2 feet - apparently so it can be propped up in the chair at the stadium.

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/charities/support/fantastic-faces

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

I won't pay that much to go myself.  Why the hell would I pay for a poor bot representation.

The money raised does go to local charities, and I guess some people think it will be fun to try to find "their" cutout during the game.  

Apparently $49 is a bargain.  The A's are charging $89 unless you are a member of their All Access something or other. You can pay even more to have your cutout seated in the Foul Ball Zone and if your cutout gets hit, they send you the ball.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/athletics/fans-can-receive-baseball-if-cutout-image-hit-foul-ball-zone

• Heart 3

7 hours ago, Kirby said:

Apparently $49 is a bargain.  The A's are charging $89 unless you are a member of their All Access something or other. You can pay even more to have your cutout seated in the Foul Ball Zone and if your cutout gets hit, they send you the ball.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/athletics/fans-can-receive-baseball-if-cutout-image-hit-foul-ball-zone

Everything is way more spensive in San Francisco. 

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Longjohn said:

That’s how I feel. I have never gone to a pro ball game of any kind except when my son was playing in an all star basketball game in Cleveland and we were invited to stay and watch the pros play right after the all star game. I wasn’t impressed but then again it was Cleveland.

Were you dazzled by the lights and sophistication of the Paris of Ohio?

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'll pick my own charities.  

Yeah same.  My wife & I dropped some coin on our youth baseball league my son played in as I know they are hurting this year.  I’d rather do that than donate to the teams charity.

Shit pick any baseball owner and if they really wanted to, they could support any charitable organization for a year and not even feel it..:

• Awesome 1

23 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Not sure if you are closer to Pittsburgh or Philly but I think you would have fun taking the grandkids to a game.  Baseball games are more about socializing, hot dogs & nachos, a sloppy mess of cotton candy shared among kids and taking in the spectacle of it all.  

Yeah I’m a baseball guy but there is more to going to a game than the game itself.  I enjoyed every game I took my kids too and I can remember chasing my son around the concourse, getting lost trying to find my seats, his friend getting sick eating too many churros, trying to catch balls during batting practice, the sharing of nachos out of the uber expensive hat bowl  and not a single thing about any of the games...

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

If I were going to a game, which I'm not, I think some of the minor league games would be more fun

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I was just gonna suggest that too. Not to mention much mo cheaper. 

I have heard they can be a good time and on the cheap.  I’m spoiled in that it’s easier for me to see a MLB team 15 miles away than the nearest minor league team 50 miles away...

Just now, ChrisL said:

I have heard they can be a good time and on the cheap.  I’m spoiled in that it’s easier for me to see a MLB team 15 miles away than the nearest minor league team 50 miles away...

Although we did leave the last minor league game we were at early because the seats were in the direct blazing sun. 

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Although we did leave the last minor league game we were at early because the seats were in the direct blazing sun. 

Sacrilege with my family!  Actually just my son.  We would have moved rather than leave early.

When he was still in grade school we went to a Memorial Day game.  He had school the next day, I had work and the game went 14 innings.  At the bottom of the 13th it was like 10:30 and I said sorry dude we gotta go.  Oh man he freaking lost it, no we can’t leave, we can’t leave.... Walking him out the stadium huge crocodile tears.... 

Yeah I felt like dad of the year at that moment...

• Haha 1