So, do you say “goodbye,” “bye,” or “bye-bye”?

MoseySusan

Depends on the conversation. If I've called a helpdesk or similar person, I usually end with "thanks".  If I'm talking to coworkers back when I used to work in an office I'd end with "see your tomorrow" or "have fun storming the castle".

With my family, it's often "thanks for coming, here's a clown's head". 

The clown's head reference stems from when we were shopping for party favors for my sister's baby shower.  We were looking for plants at a nursery, but for some reason they had a big display of clowns heads.  :dontknow:  Our joking about how it would work if we got the clown heads for party favors became a family "good bye" for decades.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Bye..at work or personal

Bye-bye...sometimes for personal.  Think of a very young child....that's what I do say to a young child.

Hanging out with those who speak English, as a 2nd language...might tend to say bye-bye.  It sounds more in "tune"....especially if you speak Chinese...and mix in English.  Happens alot..reality of living in North America.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I often answer with a, "Hi there!"  Back in the day of land lines and no caller ID ut would set people aback wondering how I knew it was them.

I keep a land line because cell phone coverage sucks around here. 
There is a candlestick phone in the basement. I bought it for Pop because he couldn’t remember to turn the cordless phone off, leaving it off the hook for hours on end. And of course that handset would be carried to some random location in the house, set down and lost on a daily basis too. Pop grew up with a candlestick. He always remembered to hang that one up.

The house my dad grew up in was an old boarding house. It had two apartments upstairs, and downstairs had a common hallway leading to the front door, and a telephone room. Which was basically a closet with a glass door, small built in desk, and a candlestick hanging off the wall.   

Every house needs a telephone room. You can have a conversation in private. 
There was a chair in there but you had to stand up to reach the microphone. 
There was also an egg timer hour glass in there to keep your calls short. 

40 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I also say "Ciao!"

Thinking about it, I almost never ever say bye or goodbye.  Or hello.  If I do say hello, it is more like a "Hello?" you say when you are on a phone call and not sure if anyone else is on.

I say "Hello, this is Susan" when I answer the phone so that the caller knows whether they dialed the correct number right away. 

On 7/8/2020 at 2:18 PM, roadsue said:

Just got off the phone with a receptionist who said, “buh-bye.” She had a lilt in her voice when she said it. Very pleasant. 

Usually just "Bye!"

There are a couple friends/relatives where we're wrapping up a long phone conversation then one remembers something else and we're on the phone another 15 minutes. We signal to each other that this is it, I've absolutely got to get off the line by saying, "Bye ..." and the person's name.

My father and I used to do, "Abyssinia!" to which the reply was, "Ethiopia!   Ancient Abyssinia - sounds like "I'll be seein' ya," - is modern Ethiopia.

Year earlier, we used do, "Ah Pancho!" to which the reply was "Ah Cisco!" - the ending of each episode of the 1950's The Cisco Kid, a Mexican-Californian TV Western which occurred a few decades before the George Lopez Show allegedly became the first Hispanic TV Show.