Do you track each other?

ChrisL

My brother was just telling me he left work early and told his wife ahead where he was going so she wouldn’t wonder as she tracks his phone.  I know that feature exists on IPhones but my wife, kids and I don't track each other.  

I have thought of doing so, so my wife can find me (or at least my phone) if I ride off a cliff or end up in a ditch but I really don’t wonder where she is nor does she with me.

Do any of you enable that feature on your phones?

No we do not.  My wifes dad is in poor health and her Mom is in the early stages if dementia and has wandered away and not know her way home, so she tracks them.  

My phone is work related with various firewalls so she cannot track it even if she wanted to.

2 minutes ago, roadsue said:

no, we don’t. 

We don't either, but I would like my wife to consider using it when I am on a ride.  I often get a series of texts and then a phone call when I am on a ride and just about home, and stopping to reply would take longer than just finishing the last mile or so.  I call her back, and she says, "Just checking to see when you will be home."  I'm usually like, "I would BE home if I had just ignored your calls and kept riding!" :DeadHorse:

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We don't either, but I would like my wife to consider using it when I am on a ride.  I often get a series of texts and then a phone call when I am on a ride and just about home, and stopping to reply would take longer than just finishing the last mile or so.  I call her back, and she says, "Just checking to see when you will be home."  I'm usually like, "I would BE home if I had just ignored your calls and kept riding!" :DeadHorse:

I always text my wife before going on a MTB ride where I am riding & when I’m done.  I learned to text her a few minutes before I actually leave as I’ll get at least three additional texts.  Usually something like: OK.... Be safe.... Don’t get eaten by Mtn lions.... Love you....

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

No. But the riding app that I use sends Wo7 emails when I start and end a ride with all the data about the ride. She can find me if I’m in trouble. She only tracked me down once during a rain storm. I was about 2 miles from home and a 1/4 mile from the coffee shop I was planning on stopping at before climbing the last hill home.  I rode with her and had a beer once I got home.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

My wife tracks our sons.

Somehow my daughter can track my son even though the feature isn’t enabled.  Something in Snapchat or Instagram posts location when checking in. We don’t subscribe to either but my wife will sometimes have our daughter track him but anymore we just text his GF.

My wife says once in a while I should do that when I ride.  I usually use Map My Ride, not sure if she could tell from the website or not.

Hmm, 40 miles per month. :D  But sometimes my battery is too low to use it.  Still, pretty darn sad. :D

I don't know if it shows rides in progress or not.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

a phone call when I am on a ride and just about home, and stopping to reply would take longer than just finishing the last mile or so.  I call her back, and she says, "Just checking to see when you will be home."  I'm usually like, "I would BE home if I had just ignored your calls and kept riding!"

Been there... do that too...

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Do any of you enable that feature on your phones?

No.  I've never even looked how to set up tracking.   Without knowing how...  I'd guess since WoBG has an iPhone XR and I have a Galaxy S7 would have to load some kind app that's compatible with both phones.  

If she wants to find me... she knows to call me.   I don't bother to call her, most of the time I'll get the excuse, I left my phone at home, or I couldn't answer because '(fill in the blank)'.

My wife called me one time when she was on her way home from work. I answered the phone and she said:”You are breathing heavy, were you downstairs?” I said:”No, I’m climbing a hill”. She said:”Are you on your bike? I said yes. She said:”Don’t talk on the phone while you are riding.” I said:” I’m not the one who made the call”.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

My wife says once in a while I should do that when I ride.  I usually use Map My Ride, not sure if she could tell from the website or not.

Hmm, 40 miles per month. :D  But sometimes my battery is too low to use it.  Still, pretty darn sad. :D

I don't know if it shows rides in progress or not.

I think Map My Ride pro show progress, but that is $30/year.  The free one only shows the completed map after it's been uploaded/saved.

I've used the Road ID app for tracking, but I stop for pics etc too often. Stop for five minutes and it sends an alarm.

6 minutes ago, smudge said:

I think Map My Ride pro show progress, but that is $30/year.  The free one only shows the completed map after it's been uploaded/saved.

I've used the Road ID app for tracking, but I stop for pics etc too often. Stop for five minutes and it sends an alarm.

Thanks for the info.  So RoadID has no way to set some kind of allowance for breaks up to a certain length? 

I guess the iPhone probably has some way to show location that I could enable just for rides.

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife called me one time when she was on her way home from work. I answered the phone and she said:”You are breathing heavy, were you downstairs?” I said:”No, I’m climbing a hill”. She said:”Are you on your bike? I said yes. She said:”Don’t talk on the phone while you are riding.” I said:” I’m not the one who made the call”.

Yeah, I like that if I DON'T answer the call, about a minute later she tries again.  Now, in my head I'm wondering, "Is this an emergency?" so then I stop and answer the phone.  :angry: And, of course, everyone knows that when you stop riding, all the sweat that is being pulled off you via the wind is now free to collect all over your body and I become a dripping mess.  NOT FUN. And, as far as "emergencies" or "important" are concerned, my wife and I seem to have different perspectives on the threshold for what constitutes them.

If I start a ride when my wife is not home, I usually grab a sheet of paper from the recycling bin, write in big letters my ride info and expected return time (usually add 15mins) and place in the center of the floor so she can't miss it when she gets back.  But I always have my phone, so she could track me.

FTR, my wife once lost her phone in - we found out - a parking lot outside a spa.  We used the iPhone tracking app on my phone to see where it was (from our house), and went back to the spa (it was showing inside the building), but with no luck finding it despite "pinging" it repeatedly to ring.  Eventually, we gave up (my wife convinced it was stolen), but as we were walking back to the car, she asked a random dude we passed outside (in a work uniform) if he had seen her phone.  Despite his broken English, he lead us into the dry cleaners NEXT DOOR, into the back, and to a woman in an office who had the phone and had turned it off because it kept ringing/vibrating :D  My wife had parked in front of the cleaners and it had fallen out of her bag as she got out of her car.

Mission accomplished!

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I guess the iPhone probably has some way to show location that I could enable just for rides.

Or just disable when doing gift shopping.  Honestly, my wife isn't likely to sit around and check on my whereabouts without a reasonable justification, so I just leave the "find my iPhone" piece enabled. I don't bother with other trackers, but briefly thought she might like live ride tracking for me before I realized she would likely forget how to use it by the time she actually needed/wanted to use it :)

I was planning to do an adventure race one time that included one of the toughest mountain bike trails in eastern United States, paddling on a lake and orienteering.  I was doing mountain biking at the time but never tried this trail, it was an hour away. I decided before committing to the race I would drive down in the morning and ride the trail before work. OMG I was not qualified to ride that trail. I found the trail, no other cars in the parking lot. There was a sign at the entrance to the trail, it was directions to the nearest emergency room. That’s not a good sign. I managed to make it to a rock garden, couldn’t ride it so I carried my bike through it. Rode for a bit and came to an unridable uphill. The only way I figured you could get up that would be to grab trees and roots and drag my  bike up. I decided before I went any further I would check my phone to see how good a signal I had. I had no signal at all. Nobody knew where I was going that morning. I very carefully backtracked to my vehicle and decided the race wasn’t for me.

I drove down to watch the race on Saturday. There were bikes going every witch way, it poured rain all day. The orienteering part must have been difficult because nobody could find the trail. I’m glad I chose not to try that race. With no signal if I got injured trying to ride that trail I probably wouldn’t have been found until the race, if they even rode the trail I was on.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1