Do you own a hard copy of a telephone book or yellow pages?

Randomguy

I think they finally gave up. We moved 27 years ago to just on the edge of a different telephone system. They were based out of Meadville, Pa. we didn’t know anyone in Meadville but every year they gave us two telephone books which we promptly threw in the trash. It was a horrible telephone system so as soon as the cell phones became somewhat reliable we dropped the land line. Every year they still gave us two telephone books. I wouldn’t even bring them in the house but tossed them in the trash. I don’t think we got them the last two years.

Yes. We receive one each year. Maybe because we have a landline..? I like to use it now and then because it's convenient. Bad thing is only older people like us use them...and the printing gets smaller all the time. How the hell are older people with diminishing eyesight supposed to read that??!! Ah well; just make do I suppose.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, smudge said:

Yes. We receive one each year. Maybe because we have a landline..? I like to use it now and then because it's convenient. Bad thing is only older people like us use them...and the printing gets smaller all the time. How the hell are older people with diminishing eyesight supposed to read that??!! Ah well; just make do I suppose.

That happens with things like laundry tags and directions on packages. So I just ignore the laundry tags now and do all on cold, and for instructions more light is always good. I also found a cool lighted magnifying glass at rite aid, and there is the magnifier app on iPhone or take a pic and blow it up.

• Awesome 1

41 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That happens with things like laundry tags and directions on packages. So I just ignore the laundry tags now and do all on cold, and for instructions more light is always good. I also for a cool lighted magnifying glass at rite aid, and there is the magnifier app on iPhone or take a pic and blow it up.

I love the LED bulbs they sell now. All my lamps that have the warning not to use anything higher than a 40 watt bulb or a 60 watt bulb get the LED equivalent 100 watt. Who needs Cadillac surgery? Just keep using brighter bulbs.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

take a pic and blow it up.

I often have to read old, faded, tiny, spec labels on motors and such. They are usally in a difficult to see location. I no longer even attempt to read them, instead taking a few pictures, sending the best pics to the computer and look at the tag on a full size monitor.

And if I have to order a replacement I just send the vendor the pic and let them figure out what I need.

• Awesome 2

I did that on a ballast that I couldn’t see the tag without removing the ballast. Didn’t want to take the time because I was on my way out the door to go to Home Depot.  I did that on a hot tub pump that the label was on the back. I didn’t want to remove the pump until I had the new one in hand.

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, Randomguy said:

?

I haven't for years, but I am not so much of a pack rat.

Nope, but sometimes I miss having one or two to use to prop something up :(

It's been a few years since we even had a smaller local business one delivered.  They would deliver them to the ends of our driveways in plastic bags, and after a week or so, I would wander down our street and collect all the ones that were still there and toss them in the recycling bin.  Awful waste of paper.

• Heart 1