I'm not licensed to do that

BR46

Just now, BR46 said:

The boss wanted me to run some conduit and some new outlets at the school. 

I said NO but he kept trying to talk me into doing it and I kept saying NO. I told him I do not want the liability if something goes wrong and I'm not going to do electrical work for what you are paying me. If I was a electrician I'd be making 3x per hour then what I'm making now. 

Besides I'm not licensed to do that. 

Just because I know how to do it doesn't mean I want to do it for free. 

I thought as you could do stuff as long as it was later inspected/approved by a person who is licensed?  Maybe just in your own home, though???

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I thought as you could do stuff as long as it was later inspected/approved by a person who is licensed?  Maybe just in your own home, though???

Just in your own home.

Not in the public business or building even if you own it.

I don't think I can do electrical work in someone else's home but I have done electrical work for family and friends. 

• Heart 1

We ran into a lot of that as a booster. With field work & such yeah whatever but when we put new lights in the clubhouse we got district approval & used one of their electricians.  We didn’t want any fires or injuries/death hanging in our heads.

Smart move.

52 minutes ago, BR46 said:

The boss wanted me to run some conduit and some new outlets at the school. 

I said NO but he kept trying to talk me into doing it and I kept saying NO. I told him I do not want the liability if something goes wrong and I'm not going to do electrical work for what you are paying me. If I was a electrician I'd be making 3x per hour then what I'm making now. 

Besides I'm not licensed to do that. 

Just because I know how to do it doesn't mean I want to do it for free. 

Being competent is a curse to bear   :lol:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

And I'm not interested in doing electrical work at what I'm getting paid now. You want me to do that kind of work PAY ME for that kind of work.

Aren't you RETIRED???? If you got paid, you wouldn't be retired! Consider this new gig a hobby.

20 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I'm starting to not like this boss of yours. He's cutting a few corners in an area that needs to be right & tight

<it's for the chilren>

That's exactly how I feel. 

I won't be helping out next year. He pulled a fast one and I ended up working more hours than I originally agreed to. When I tell him that I not liking the extra hours that I didn't agree to he says but you like it here .....next year we will have you and your wife working here for the summer. 

Like I said he turned into that boss

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, BR46 said:

Just in your own home.

Not in the public business or building even if you own it.

I don't think I can do electrical work in someone else's home but I have done electrical work for family and friends. 

Is this job that much money for you for this stress when you're retired? 

Rethink this, BR. I agree-- don't do jobs which could hold you responsible for public safety later on. 

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Is this job that much money for you for this stress when you're retired? 

Rethink this, BR. I agree-- don't do jobs which could hold you responsible for public safety later on. 

The job is paying less than half of what I was making working in the factory. Last year I took the job to help my friend Joe out while he was short handed at the school. This year I'm working more hours and I'm not liking it. I'm not going to just quit and leave him short handed but I won't be working for the school next year. 

I told him. ...if I wanted to work 40 hours a week I would have stayed at the factory at more than twice the pay with benefits. 

Good call!

I recently had a relative ask me to look at an electrical issue with a water heater at a rental she owns. 

I did and found that water, apparently from a roof leak, is getting into the main breaker panel and the lugs to the breaker for the water heater were burnt off. Melted. As I looked closer, the entire panel is in bad shape.  

I told her that it needed to be replaced and that wherever the water that is getting into the panel is coming from needs to be fixed. She, of course, asked me to do it.  I refused for the same reasons.  I could, but am not taking in that liability.  

She got in touch with a licensed electrician who will make the repairs. 

• Heart 1