House Hunting

12string

Because I haven't helped enough people move during lockdown

My SiL wanted me to check out a house they're considering.  "Needs some work"  Built in 1903, they figured my experience with old houses would help.

Before I got up the walkway I saw $25K in porch repairs, if they did half themselves.  4 flat roofs, one was actually the beginning of a forest.  really bad plaster in every room except the one with bad drywall.  Couple leaks.  Termites.  Aluminum wiring.  Horrible windows.  Plywood ceiling patches.  Near Dead oil burner.  Oh, the water heater was almost new - but electric and would be replaced with a dual boiler system anyway.

Once I pointed out they would end up with a house that cost them 3X anything in the neighborhood after years of headache and constant contractor traffic, and they should check back when the wind blows off the local refinery, they decided not to pursue.

And it wasn't even a NICE 1903 house.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, 12string said:

Because I haven't helped enough people move during lockdown

My SiL wanted me to check out a house they're considering.  "Needs some work"  Built in 1903, they figured my experience with old houses would help.

Before I got up the walkway I saw $25K in porch repairs, if they did half themselves.  4 flat roofs, one was actually the beginning of a forest.  really bad plaster in every room except the one with bad drywall.  Couple leaks.  Termites.  Aluminum wiring.  Horrible windows.  Plywood ceiling patches.  Near Dead oil burner.  Oh, the water heater was almost new - but electric and would be replaced with a dual boiler system anyway.

Once I pointed out they would end up with a house that cost them 3X anything in the neighborhood after years of headache and constant contractor traffic, and they should check back when the wind blows off the local refinery, they decided not to pursue.

And it wasn't even a NICE 1903 house.

A larger gauged rifle and better scope will allow you to House hunt effectively from farther away while ignoring the little blemishes you’re currently getting tripped up on.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

16 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

A larger gauged rifle and better scope will allow you to House hunt effectively from farther away while ignoring the little blemishes you’re currently getting tripped up on.

And could put holes in the roof of ones you dislike so you can report that the roof leaks and will need a new roof.

6 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Did you hang oot with Eddie and lust after Marilyn? :D

Here is the cool part.  This is 1313 Mockingbird. When we were growing up, this house was already there before the subdivision was built.  Old farmer lived there.  Let the kids hang out.  He had an old foot turned sharpening stone in his front yard that I remember playing with and he had some old Honda mini bikes he would let us ride.   Parents knew about it and were cool.  He also had some original Honda CVCC's with the tiny wheels.  Looks like he may have sold, or passed as there are now houses on both sides of him that were not there in the early 70s

image.thumb.png.89f5047480cf983ebfaa628824aafd02.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1