Official temp is 117F right now.

UglyBob

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Have you ever spent any time in AZ or say Vegas?   I tolerate 110 & dry much better than 90 degrees 90% humidity.

The Salton Sea  and area near San Diego has been my only exposure to the desert. I wasn’t wild about it. I like living in a forest under the trees. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Have you ever spent any time in AZ or say Vegas?   I tolerate 110 & dry much better than 90 degrees 90% humidity.

Right there with you. I've been in Maryland when it was 90 and humid and just about died. I don't know why, but it actually felt worse than Florida.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

The Salton Sea  and area near San Diego has been my only exposure to the desert. I wasn’t wild about it. I like living in a forest under the trees. 

If I may ask... Of all the places in CA to visit,  why the hell Salton  Sea!?!!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Too hot Bob.  You seem like a good man.  But sooner or later that's going to ruin you.  ;)

I've been a desert-rat all of my life, so I'm used to it. The day it 122F here back in 1990 I was commuting by bike. I rode home at the peak time. It was 130+ over the pavement. The secret is to keep hydrated and don't stop moving. The faster you go, the more breeze you create, the more your sweat evaporates and cools you. I'll bike when it's like this, but no walking. You can't get enough air movement to aid cooling.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

3 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Right there with you. I've been in Maryland when it was 90 and humid and just about died. I don't know why, but it actually felt worse than Florida.

Yeah I spent most of my enlistment in DC and married a local so have gone back many times in the summer.  I have also done Vegas in summer and attended a baseball tournament in Phoenix in August and the 110+ dry temps are better to me than 90/90.

But if I had my druthers I’d take my 80 degrees & ocean breezes!

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If I may ask... Of all the places in CA to visit,  why the hell Salton  Sea!?!!

I was dating a woman in San Diego. Told her I had never seen the desert before and that’s where we drove. 
I also wanted to go to Tijuana just for lunch or something, enough to say I had stepped into Mexico. She wasn’t having it. We went to Disney Land instead. 

• Awesome 1

Just now, Allen said:

I was dating a woman in San Diego. Told her I had never seen the desert before and that’s where we drove. 
I also wanted to go to Tijuana just for lunch or something, enough to say I had stepped into Mexico. She wasn’t having it. We went to Disney Land instead. 

Ah got it.  The Mojave gets hot too but I don’t think it’s as dry as Vegas & AZ.  Disneyland is about 20 miles north of me!

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Ah got it.  The Mojave gets hot too but I don’t think it’s as dry as Vegas & AZ.  Disneyland is about 20 miles north of me!

She grew up in San Diego and was living in Carlsbad when we dated. I applaud your ability to handle the crowds. I get claustrophobic with that many people around. Navigating was kinda confusing too the way the towns are stacked on top of one another. You are supposed to have cows and such between towns so you can tell where one stops and the next one starts.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

She grew up in San Diego and was living in Carlsbad when we dated. I applaud your ability to handle the crowds. I get claustrophobic with that many people around. Navigating was kinda confusing too the way the towns are stacked on top of one another. You are supposed to have cows and such between towns so you can tell where one stops and the next one starts.  

I’m a local, it’s all I know really.  When I travelled about in the military & business I found being remote a bit unnerving.  But yeah it’s really crowded where I live.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, UglyBob said:

I've been a desert-rat all of my life, so I'm used to it. The day it 122F here back in 1990 I was commuting by bike. I rode home at the peak time. It was 130+ over the pavement. The secret is to keep hydrated and don't stop moving. The faster you go, the more breeze you create, the more your sweat evaporates and cools you. I'll bike when it's like this, but no walking. You can't get enough air movement to aid cooling.

i'm guessing you've got like 4 water packs on your back and you like drinking boiling water. Well -- warm, warm water.

• Haha 1

Just now, Dottles said:

i'm guessing you've got like 4 water packs on your back and you like drinking boiling water.

I just carry two insulated bottles, one with water and one with Gatorade. I pack them with ice before I fill them. Then I plan my route so I pass somewhere to refuel at least once an hour. If there's nowhere to stop, I'll wear a Camelbak.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Agreed.  I toured Egypt in July, 1999.  One day we were standing in front of the Temple of Hatshepsut, between Luxor and the Valley of the Kings.

One member of our tour group asked me, "You're the scientist. What's 50 degrees Centigrade in Farenheit?"

I did the 9/5 x C +32 = F formula in my head and answered, "122 degrees F. Why do you ask?"

He pointed at a large thermometer that was in the shade that read 50 degrees C!  I was shocked!

I would never have guessed it was that hot, due to the dry desert and almost no humidity. At home, 90°F and the Chesapeake Bay Area's monster humidity is definitely worse.

5 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Perfect for a swamp cooler! Only 10% humidity

Yup. Our big problem comes during monsoon season (anytime from now through August). We get the heat and the humidity during that season. Evaps stop working and people without A/C suffer.

23 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was gonna say that, but thought somebody would have already said it for me.

The whole east coast is a swamp.  Allen, 120 there and 10% humidity is probably the equivalent of 95 degrees to you, maybe less.   That heat in Arizona is hot, but it isn't gross like the east coast heat is.

I've spent a lot of time working in extreme heat, it takes it out of you. Around 120 is where it starts to get dangerous, you can dehydrate so fast that you have trouble putting enough fluid in, you can't keep up with how much you are sweating out.

Did a job in 140 degree, 20 minutes was about the limit in that heat. A young hero spent 45 minutes and then puked and was hurting for several hours.

Low humidity allows your sweat to be more efficient, so you cool yourself better, but dehydration is still a big problem, when you run out of sweat you're hurting....

3 hours ago, UglyBob said:

more like a convection oven.

Years ago.. WoBG and our daughter visited the Grand Canyon.  We drove from Illinois and eventuality made it to Wally World.   

When we were driving on I-40 thru western AZ, I noticed the temperature gauge was just about into the red area.  My old Z28 Camaro had engine gauges (no outside temp gauge back then) and of course a manual transmission, but I digress...

I turned off the A/C and we made the mistake of opening the windows.  OMG was it hot.   Convection oven... yeah that described how it felt.  I slowed down and turned on the heater for a while. WoBG was like... hey it's hot enough in here....    I explained we can't overheat the engine we would be so much in trouble out here.

After a while the temperature gauge was back to normal.   The windows went up and the A/C went back on.    And of course the engine temperature slowly started to increase again.   This time I turned off the A/C, and slowed down again.  But we left the windows closed.  That was way better, but still hot.    The engine cooled down again, I just had to drive slow and we could use the A/C.

We eventually drove into Needles we stopped for gas, water, pop and more ice.  I asked the clerk, how hot is it?  He proclaimed they were getting close to the record high temp.  I can't remember how hot it was... maybe 114.

On 7/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, UglyBob said:

I just carry two insulated bottles, one with water and one with Gatorade. I pack them with ice before I fill them. Then I plan my route so I pass somewhere to refuel at least once an hour. If there's nowhere to stop, I'll wear a Camelbak.

That is what I do, Bob.  Whether I wear a Camelbak or not depends on if more water is available , and, if I am alone I wear it so I dont have to lock up the bike. 

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Further said:

I've spent a lot of time working in extreme heat, it takes it out of you. Around 120 is where it starts to get dangerous, you can dehydrate so fast that you have trouble putting enough fluid in, you can't keep up with how much you are sweating out.

Did a job in 140 degree, 20 minutes was about the limit in that heat. A young hero spent 45 minutes and then puked and was hurting for several hours.

Low humidity allows your sweat to be more efficient, so you cool yourself better, but dehydration is still a big problem, when you run out of sweat you're hurting....

What job were you working at a140 degrees??