So Farnsworth....

Further

4 minutes ago, Further said:

Why the fuck don't you grow peppers ?

I try.  I have been farming the same small plot for over 30 years, and both tomatoes and peppers seem to have fizzled oot on me. :(  Even though I compost the shit oot of it, I think the soil has been depleted of something it needs for them.  Thankfully the local farm stand has poblanos, jalapenos, habs, and a few others for $.10 each.  At least they have had the last few years.  So far this year it is just poblano and jalapeno for $1.99/pound.

• Heart 1

Ya ever consider moving it over a few feet?

I been cursing the clay in my dirt, but researching soil, clay is actually a sort of good thing, it holds the nutrients that the plants need. This gardening thing is fascinating. 

A balancing act.

And black magic and luck

I have a lot more respect for farmers after seeing how much work my little garden is

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

For a while daughter #2 had a boyfriend whose parents were Portugese and Italian, and they had a killer pepper garden!

I told the story about my in-laws neighbor, growing pot mixed in with the peppers. On my in-laws ground.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Further said:

I been cursing the clay in my dirt, but researching soil, clay is actually a sort of good thing, it holds the nutrients that the plants need. This gardening thing is fascinating. 

A balancing act.

And black magic and luck

I have a lot more respect for farmers after seeing how much work my little garden is

I started that and my wife objected. :(  Good idea, though, the first 10 years or so stuff grew like gangbusters.  Another problem is tree roots have found that excellent garden soil and moved right in.  Lost two good beds that way, but on the plus side, the arborvitaes are doing great!  :D

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Further said:

A balancing act.

And black magic and luck

It is frustrating.  The soil is gorgeous, so friable and full of organic matter.  It drains within hours of a heavy rain like yesterday.  I should do a soil test and see what is missing.  Actuality the tomato plants are doing better this year than most, they look super healthy and have green tomatoes, so we'll see.  The peppers were the same but some (*&%% varmint got inside the fence and ate the leaves right up. Peppers used to be impervious to pests, so this seems odd.

5 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The peppers were the same but some (*&%% varmint got inside the fence and ate the leaves right up. Peppers used to be impervious to pests, so this seems odd.

When we had ducks I had to fence in the hot peppers because the ducks loved them. They would eat all the rotten tomatoes but leave the firm ones alone. They ate weeds and bugs in the garden so I didn’t mind sharing with them but their love for hot peppers was too much. They would eat them all and not leave me any.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

When we had ducks I had to fence in the hot peppers because the ducks loved them. They would eat all the rotten tomatoes but leave the firm ones alone. They ate weeds and bugs in the garden so I didn’t mind sharing with them but their love for hot peppers was too much. They would eat them all and not leave me any.

Hmm, we do get occasional walkthroughs of Canadian geese lately. But they probably would have left signs of trampling the fence. I suspect those wascally rabbits, although we have always had them so maybe not. For years I had no problems leaving them unfenced. :scratchhead:

• Heart 1