Do you spend $20 on lunch everyday?

Randomguy

I've developed some bad habits due to cabin fever, working from home (even when cycling for fresh air)....am probably spending at least $5-10 per day.  

When I worked at building office, I would spend that 2-3 times per wk.  I just didn't feel like going outside of my workplace to spend money.. I know. Wierd. And I had access to free coffee.

I don't each lunch. :dontknow: Typical corporate clueless mindthink. Show how little they know about the recipient by giving them a voucher for something they don't do, altering their behavior and subsequent weight gain from the additional eating.

18 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I don't each lunch. :dontknow: Typical corporate clueless mindthink. Show how little they know about the recipient by giving them a voucher for something they don't do, altering their behavior and subsequent weight gain from the additional eating.

I'm betting the UberEats vouchers are good 24/7/365, so dinner or breakfast would be acceptable.

FTR, RG eats six meals a day.

When I'm in the office, lunch at the cafeteria would generally be between $5-10 depending on what you picked.  $2.50 was about the minimum you could spend for lunch at the cafeteria.  On the rare times we went out for lunch, $20 would probably be right for a restaurant, but you could get deli takeout for around $8-12.

$20 bucks is a lot.  The only time I was treated to that  was when I served on a federal court jury and we were locked in a suite from 9-5 for 4 days while we argued the case and found the guy guilty.  Each day, we were given a menu from a seafood restaurant with footlong lobster salad subs, etc.  We didn't choose the Filet O Fish equivalents!

When I retired in 2006, there were us teachers making mostly $50K - $75K and the custodians, warehouse workers, etc. making $30K or so.

The teachers almost all bag-lunched it - you could often see what was for dinner at their houses the previous night. Most days we didn't have time to eat any other way except the occasional school cafeteria food - turkey and stuffing with mashed potatoes and green beans was excellent and cheap. The teachers also brought in their own soft drinks, had a group coffee pot in each department, etc.

The warehouse, etc. folks tended to go out to McD's or a regular, inexpensive sit-down restaurant each day and often sent out for coffee to 7-11, etc. once or twice a day. They often bought the $1 or more soft drinks from vending machines.

One day, one of the warehouse guys asked me how I could afford to go to China, Egypt, Holy Land, Aegean Cruise, France, etc. etc. on a teacher's salary.

I told him I averaged about $2.50/day on lunch and he probably averaged about $9/day.  Over 200 work days, that's a difference of $1300/year.  I told time that if he bag-lunched it like I did, he and his wife could go on one of those trips he just mentioned every other year!

He stared at me blankly and disbelievingly.  Some people can't seem to grasp the fact that small, regular savings add up!

• Heart 2