Ok tell the truth

BR46

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

How much does cost per month to live in your house.

Our house is paid off so with property taxes, water, gas and electricity it's $350 per month 

I'm near $500 month in taxes, but that includes property on our automobiles here in CT so your price just for our taxes.

I estimate $750 if you throw in insurance also. Our property tax is just under $3,900 which has gone down $500 when I turned 66 YO. This is for a 1,900 square foot building. That's Illinois for you.

Then there's also things like appliances, roofing, siding, windows, carpeting, etc., to consider. Right now we have a leaky roof which hopefully be repaired shortly for about $1100.

11 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Taxes $650, insurance $200, sewer $60, water $50 with no lawn watering.  Electric and gas, average maybe $150.  Geez, along with medical and food and other shit, I guess I can never retire.  I know I am getting rolled for homeowner insurance, I need to fix that.

All that crap adds up.  

18 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Our property tax is just under $3,900 which has gone down $500 when I turned 66 YO. This is for a 1,900 square foot building. That's Illinois for you.

That's about ours.  Annual property taxes at $4200 for a 2060 sq/ft house. That's Greater Seattle for you.  It's the real estate that has driven this up.  It's insane.

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That's about ours.  Annual property taxes at $4200 for a 2060 sq/ft house. That's Greater Seattle for you.  It's the real estate that has driven this up.  It's insane.

Our property tax is TWICE that.  Twice.  NJ is outstanding in its field.

Dammit, I don't want the hassle or expense of moving, but everytime I think aboot the taxes I pay I get pissed.

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Dammit, I don't want the hassle or expense of moving, but everytime I think aboot the taxes I pay I get pissed.

Oh I live 35 miles outside of downtown. Property taxes are probably just as bad.

Look at these prices.  Fer gawd sakes, we're talking all the way up by the Canadian border.  The further you move back south into the greater Seattle area, those prices start increasing.  Again, you cannot get anything in this market unless you plan on taking at least $300,000 or more in loan... unless you're like SW and all these other rich bastards in here -- like that @Zackny guy.

https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/cedcf6dcefd85ca67d8a88561590be5ba94b7e8e?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.matrix.nwmls.com%2FDE.asp%3FID%3D29313478291&userId=5377338&signature=84a58f65fabfe6f8

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Tell us more. We're looking for folks with gumption.

What more do you need to know? It’s a crap ton of money, I could pay less elsewhere but I like where we are at. It’s an older neighborhood, built in the early 60’s. One level ranch with full basement on almost a full acre. My wife counted the trees in the yard and stopped at 50. Mostly oaks, maples and dogwood. There are two brick patios in the rear with a brick frog pond. Deer, fox, squirrels, chipmunk, coyote (none sighted but they’re there) even a young bear live in the neighborhood. It’s quiet, almost park-like yet we are ten miles from DC and about two miles west of the beltway. I plan to retire and move in 2024 and don’t want to deal with homeowner issues for a short period. We plan on moving closer to the Blue Ridge mountains. The cost of living will be less. I don’t mind paying a mortgage until I’m dead, I’m not taking the money with me. I receive a generous pension and a full time salary. Investments can stay where they are. When I retire I can live well on the pension and more better with social security when I’m 67. I am lucky to be where I’m at because I see others that are not as fortunate. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

2 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

What more do you need to know? It’s a crap ton of money, I could pay less elsewhere but I like where we are at. It’s an older neighborhood, built in the early 60’s. One level ranch with full basement on almost a full acre. My wife counted the trees in the yard and stopped at 50. Mostly oaks, maples and dogwood. There are two brick patios in the rear with a brick frog pond. Deer, fox, squirrels, chipmunk, coyote (none sighted but they’re there) even a young bear live in the neighborhood. It’s quiet, almost park-like yet we are ten miles from DC and about two miles west of the beltway. I plan to retire and move in 2024 and don’t want to deal with homeowner issues for a short period. We plan on moving closer to the Blue Ridge mountains. The cost of living will be less. I don’t mind paying a mortgage until I’m dead, I’m not taking the money with me. I receive a generous pension and a full time salary. Investments can stay where they are. When I retire I can live well on the pension and more better with social security when I’m 67. I am lucky to be where I’m at because I see others that are not as fortunate. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

When I first bought my property I was out standing in my field wondering where the property line was. I planted trees eight feet on my side of the property line. They now hang way over the property line over the neighbor’s cornfield. I guess it could be worse. I see lots of trees planted on the property line.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

When I first bought my property I was out standing in my field wondering where the property line was. I planted trees eight feet on my side of the property line. They now hang way over the property line over the neighbor’s cornfield. I guess it could be worse. I see lots of trees planted on the property line.

I planted Douglas Firs only aboot 2 feet inside.  It was a baaad choice - they were great for a while but now they are bare up to aboot 10 feet and WAY too tall.

• Haha 1

Let me add it up:

Prop tax $3k/year  (no sales tax!!!)

Water, sewer utilities $300/mo

Insurance (cars/house/umbrella) $250

what is that about $800/mo?

I'm moving back to Portland when I can find a house. Everything will be +++

Prop tax & HOA  $7-8k/yr

Utlities I don't know maybe +$100/mo?

Insurance at least +$100

so maybe $1-1200/mo?

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am 17 miles from Philthydelphia.

Which direction? I used to pick up thousands of brooms from Kwiki broom in Cinnamonson, NJ. I can’t remember the route numbers but it was a road that ran north along the river from the expensive toll bridge to Filthydelphia. I had to spend all my lunch money just to cross that dang bridge. I told the guy in the toll booth I didn’t want to buy the bridge, just drive across it.

The next load I hauled out of there a guy in a construction truck showed me how to get on the bridge for free.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Which direction? I used to pick up thousands of brooms from Kwiki broom in Cinnamonson, NJ. I can’t remember the route numbers but it was a road that ran north along the river from the expensive toll bridge to Filthydelphia. I had to spend all my lunch money just to cross that dang bridge. I told the guy in the toll booth I didn’t want to buy the bridge, just drive across it.

The next load I hauled out of there a guy in a construction truck showed me how to get on the bridge for free.

Southeast, aboot 20 miles south of Cinnaminson.

Oops!  I guess actually I am dead south of Philly, 27 miles from Cinnaminson.

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

Look at these prices.  Fer gawd sakes, we're talking all the way up by the Canadian border.  The further you move back south into the greater Seattle area, those prices start increasing.  Again, you cannot get anything in this market unless you plan on taking at least $300,000 or more in loan... unless you're like SW and all these other rich bastards in here -- like that @Zackny guy.

https://mailtrack.io/trace/link/cedcf6dcefd85ca67d8a88561590be5ba94b7e8e?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.matrix.nwmls.com%2FDE.asp%3FID%3D29313478291&userId=5377338&signature=84a58f65fabfe6f8

Say whaaaaat....

• Haha 2