New Camaro, Mustang, or Charger/Challenger?

Razors Edge

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My son had a top of the line Camaro and he had me drive it to Walmart on one of our visits. I’m too old for that car, it was impressive but not for me. I would just like to have a new Element with a V6. Tell Honda to get on that.

I rented one a couple of years ago and it was hell on the knees getting in & out.  My sister & I did a road trip to NorCal for an uncles funeral & pulling out of the parking lot did a long fishtailing burnout.  

The rest of the drive & car was uneventful...

If I had to pick one I guess the Chevy as I’m more of a GM guy but like LJ I’d rather have something more practical.

• Heart 1

I'd probably go for the Mustang. I spent a week with a Camaro convertible when I was in CA a few years ago. Pretty car. Drove nice but you could feel every pound. Visibility out and dumb ergonomics pissed me off by the end of the week. 

I used to be a Mopar guy. They really lost their way in the Daimler years. Too much nostalgia look without enough driving satisfaction. 

I drove my future SIL's Mustang GT a few years ago. Still not as fun in a turn as my Miata, but otherwise an enjoyable car. 

Spoiler

None.  A friend once agreed with me they were nice cars and really good at going fast, as long as it was in a straight line.

I'm not paying over 100k for a rocket ship of a car that has a cheap plastic interior and looks like its cousin that costs 75% less.  I've seen a few videos of them, yeah, lots of HP, but not impressive.

For a little (maybe more than a little) more I'd rather this:

New 2020 BMW M8 Convertible Individual Aventurin Red For Sale in ...

600+ HP, plus they'll tune it to make it close to 700.  And it drives like a proper car.

5 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

That looks like the ultimate 7th grader sketch. :D  It is pretty badass.

As much as I love the car, I couldn’t own one. I’ve been in them. The car wraps around you. It’s way too tight for me.

But yeah, they are badass. And drive like bats out of hell. 😉 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

As much as I love the car, I couldn’t own one. I’ve been in them. The car wraps around you. It’s way too tight for me.

But yeah, they are badass. And drive like bats out of hell. 😉 

I think that might hook me.  I love the looks of the 56, but the modren ones have to be totally kickass.

4 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

My 89 Integra was from the blackout trim era, and once it was 10 or so years old some of  the black peeled off to reveal shiny trim underneath, so I had to use electrical tape to touch it up. Worked great.  

Ha, I had an 87 Integra.  I really liked that car!

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Can I sell the one I pick, or is this like those bizarre @jsharrrules he put out last time.

All of these look like they suck in snow, none can carry my hockey gear, my dive gear,  my canoe or my bikes, so I will just pass.  It will sit in the driveway and never get used

And they get crappy gas mileage! Er, kilometerage.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

No shit - cool!  Yup, my work buddy had an 87, and that is what sold me on the car.  I test drove it and loved it.  Even better was he also had a Legend of a similar vintage.

It was a good little car, mine looked just like this:

1987 Acura Integra RS 3-Door Hatchback | Hatchback, Acura integra ...

• Awesome 1

The Mustang I asked for above is meant to sit in the garage and never be driven on the street.  Those in the special build of 68 cars were 1400hp Ford drag racing specials.  Can you say et's in the 8 second range at 150 mph for a "stock" car.

2018 50the anniversary Mustang.

• Heart 1

I still appreciate the fun of high HP, but you can only use them that way once in a while. I enjoy cars with reasonable scoot, but better balance much more. Love my Miata! A sedan that can seat 4 adults comfortably and still carve a canyon road? Oh yeah!

I would rather spend the money for one of those beasts on a solid Capri that could be built into a modern upgrade of the RS2600. With the money left over, I could buy a Mazda 6 with the Turbo 2.5. I'm pretty sure I would be happier in the long run. I am a member of a Miata board. It's amazing how many people with tons of money find they didn't enjoy that supercar as much as they thought they would and come back to the board to pine for a Miata. They just hate to admit to their SO that they were wrong. 

• Haha 1

When I was commuting to college in 1971 and the car I had was falling apart, a cousin bought a new car and the dealership only offered him $800 for his '68 Camaro, 283 V8 engine, and that pissed him off.  So he offered it to me for $800 - really cheap even then - and I had a great sports car until I finished grad school at IIT and U. of Toronto several years later.

Since then, I've been mostly a practical-car guy.