So gardeners, whatcha got? Especially in the pepper department?

Ralphie

I have a few cayenne types that I recently planted, and some jalapenos I think.  Not a great year so far.

My best ones ever were poinsettia peppers - just loaded, beautiful plants.  I planted them out front and they did make excellent ornamental plants but were delicious also.  Same rampant growth happened with habaneros one year - way more than I could have ever eaten!

• Heart 3

Well asking the question after the sun went down you won’t get any pictures until tomorrow. I’ve been giving away cucumbers and zucchini. The yellow cherry tomatoes are ripe. I need to pick the yellow wax beans again. Owl have to take pictures of the peppers. I bought plants off the Amish and they had a popsicle stick marked hot with them. Some look like cayennes, some look like banana peppers. I have purple bell peppers and the other bell peppers are taking their time. The corn is not ready yet but almost, it’s in tassel and little ears are formed.My Brussels sprouts plants are huge but no Brussels sprouts yet.

I have 4 cayenne plants, they are tiny, maybe a foot tall, but 2 have peppers on them, and 2 of the peppers are red.

Have 8 jalapeno plants, again tiny plants, 2 have peppers, maybe 10 peppers

2 poblano plants, they are the biggest plants, about 3 feet tall, no peppers  :angry:

12 bell pepper plants, 2 variety's, plants look good but only 1 pepper   :angry:

Gardening is a lot more complicated than I realized.  

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

WE can't do a garden here (except if you reserve a patch in the community garden and that's a whole separate world), so the only thing I can ever grow is currants for jelly.  But for some reason the currants just didn't grow well this year at all, after a bonanza year last year.  So store bought jelly it is for me this year.  :(

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Kirby said:

WE can't do a garden here (except if you reserve a patch in the community garden and that's a whole separate world), so the only thing I can ever grow is currants for jelly.  But for some reason the currants just didn't grow well this year at all, after a bonanza year last year.  So store bought jelly it is for me this year.  :(

Well thank you anyway for the currant events report, even if it is a sad one. :(

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have not tried growing peppers.  Maybe next year, I am not sure I am in the right climate zone to grow them well.

I was just happy with growing tomatillos last year

I grew them one year.  They were fun.

A similar sort of paper-covered thing was Cape Gooseberries. They really grew well but I had absolutely no idea what to do with them. :D

capegooseberry.jpg

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Further said:

Squash is taking over my garden, how do you control it in a greenhouse ?

The squash vine borers always bring it under control for me, but sometimes it took all summer. I don’t grow it any more. I used to get a lot of volunteers from the compost. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Farmers market. No sun in the yard, deer, squirrels and chipmunks all prevent a garden here. 

IThere’s a farm stand right on the corner, so I usually hit him up. 

I have no garden anymore, only have a couple of potted plants. When I did have a garden, I grew stuff I couldn’t buy, like San Marzano tomatoes.

On 7/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Longjohn said:

we were eating or giving them away as fast as we were harvesting them.

You must have been working like hell. As soon as you see a blossom, you have to stand over the plant and watch. If you get distracted and look away for more than a minute, you’ll wind up with something you need a forklift to get out of the garden.

I had some that I didn’t see get away from me and get huge and seedy, so I was cutting them off and chucking them off into the weeds....a few minutes later, Gus started bringing them back. For a long time after that, when anyone asked me what kind of dog he was, I’d say, with a straight face “Zucchini Retriever”.

• Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:13 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have mint and basil growing,

I have Thai Basil and “regular” basil, in pots. Goddamn aphids were in the Thai basil and snails on the other basil. The aphids were really tough to see, but I finally figured out who the culprits were and they got dish soaped. The snails were hanging out on the underside of the leaves so it took me a bit to find them. When I did, I pulled them off and chucked them across the yard. I’m imagining a couple of snails going “Whoa! Where am I and how did I get here? It all happened so fast....”

• Heart 2