I corner harder on one side

Dirtyhip

I need to get more agressive with left turns.  My knobbies were more worn on the right side.  My husband said "My honey corners harder on the right."  The top of the L's on the knobs were gone.  Chomped off.

HA!

Wonder if it cause I am right handed. Dominant right side.  I also ride much faster regular compared to goofy.  Although, I can ride goofy and land goofy.

no seriously

I learned about this when I was racing

This is also why we tend to put our left foot down first when we unclip

but you can just look at an anatomy drawing and see for yourself that the human heart is offset to the left side

its just weight distribution. You have to lean more to the right to get the same moment of force

no seriously

I learned about this when I was racing

This is also why we tend to put our left foot down first when we unclip

but you can just look at an anatomy drawing and see for yourself that the human heart is offset to the left side

its just weight distribution. You have to lean more to the right to get the same moment of force

I know where my heart is.  I just never realized that our centerline was so off.  

I do put my left foot down first too.  Hmmm

it doesn't have to be way off the centerline. the heart is full of blood, a liquid

your lungs are full of air

In RGs case, hot air

so its the difference in density of those two organs in your chest that effects your weight distribution on a bike. Since your chest is higher than your center of gravity, you have to lean your chest more to the right to move the same amount of weight

that equates to leaning further into a right hand bend

its all strait physics, so you don't even need to believe me :)

our hearts are just left of our centerline, so our balance isn't exactly strait up and down.

Everybody leans into a right hander more than a left

You made this crap up, admit it.

Balance it determined mostly from our inner ears, and they are symmetrical.  It has nothing to do with organ placement.  Do people with 1 arm fall over regularly?

As for putting your left foot down, roads are crowned for water drainage and usually the right side is lower making the left side more accessible.  Also, it help prevent getting a cat5 tattoo on your right leg.

Nate, you're full of crap.  If you know anything about the scales that chiropractors and PTs use to measure your weight distribution you would quickly realize that your balance and weight distribution have nothing to do with the placement of your heart.

I am much more comfortable cornering to the right than I am to the left but it does;t have anything to do with my heart.

Hey, I'm saying that the reason we lean in to a right hander more than a left is the same reason you put your left foot down first

You clowns say what you want, but I've forgotten more about cycling than most of you jokers ever knew, and that's a fact

a DOCUMENTED fact :P   (where's my two fingers up emoticon?)

what you assholes are forgetting is how your body is oriented over your bike when you are riding. Your abdomen is lower and closer to your center of gravity. How your weight is distributed when you are on standing on the doctors scale doesn't matter either

get yourself some rollers and figure it out for yourselves

I learned this from somebody who I know knows what he's talking about, so there you go. I'm just passing along something I was told that actually helped me take a corner at speed

I'm just trying to help DH understand why she is leaning more into right hand corners

so fuck you beer sodden bastards :nod head:

When I'm stopping, more often than not, I'll put down my right foot first. I always clip in on the left first.

wonderful

good for you. I say you're just being contrarian, but whatever works for you my Canukistan neighbor

I just want to say that if this is what I get for trying to be helpful, then you fuck wads need to buckle up :angry:

Did I start a meaningful conversation?   :popcorn:

I dunno. I honestly tried to help out

I honestly learned this from a rider I respect

I honestly intended to share something that helped me as a rider

and for that I get to listen to a bunch of bull shit :rolleyes:

When I'm stopping, more often than not, I'll put down my right foot first. I always clip in on the left first.

This.  I unclip my right at a stop or first probably about 90% of the time.  I have to make a conscious effort to unclip the left first.

Nate, your still full of crap.  I don't care how much you forgot or how much you've learned or how many names you call people.  The average male heart weighs 300 to 350 grams.  With both ventricles full, there is an average of 250 grams of blood in the heart.  It does not weigh more than any other organ in the body.  The liver weighs 1.5 kg just to name one.

I dunno. I honestly tried to help out

I honestly learned this from a rider I respect

I honestly intended to share something that helped me as a rider

and for that I get to listen to a bunch of bull shit :rolleyes:

Maybe you should pull your head out and clean your ears?

Maybe you should pull your head out and clean your ears?

what the hell? why am I getting ganged up on for trying to talk about cycling?

listen fellas...go get on a set of rollers and see for yourselves

that's the third time I've said that

listen fellas...go get on a set of rollers and see for yourselves

that's the third time I've said that

Do they make rollers for Honda mowers?

Also:

I kid because I love.

Nate, your still full of crap.  I don't care how much you forgot or how much you've learned or how many names you call people.  The average male heart weighs 300 to 350 grams.  With both ventricles full, there is an average of 250 grams of blood in the heart.  It does not weigh more than any other organ in the body.  The liver weighs 1.5 kg just to name one.

its about moments of force, isn't it?

not just mass, I never said the heart was the heaviest organ in the body, just that it was denser than your lungs

the distance from your center of gravity matters

the same thing goes for your head

try tossing your head around in a corner and tell me what happens

what is going on here is that you clowns, and I don't want to insult any actual circus or rodeo clowns here,  but what you clowns can't contend with is that I might actually be onto something

I'm afraid of my rollers.  They have thrown me to the ground too many times.  I will build bars to surround them before I get back on.

try using a doorway, slick

like I said, I forgot more about cycling that you jokers ever knew ;)

You made this crap up, admit it.

Balance it determined mostly from our inner ears, and they are symmetrical. It has nothing to do with organ placement. Do people with 1 arm fall over regularly?

As for putting your left foot down, roads are crowned for water drainage and usually the right side is lower making the left side more accessible. Also, it help prevent getting a cat5 tattoo on your right leg.

thank you for setting Nate straight. You saved me some time.

ok, so I'm wrong...so our bodies are balanced exactly on our center line?

is this what you guys are saying?

help me now. You all have established that I'm wrong, but what exactly was I wrong about and what is the right answer?

I feel like you were more interested in me being wrong than in what I actually said, which is that our balance is a little off of our centerline because our heart sits just to the left of center. That was my position

that's all I said to get ganged up on, so please help me understand the correct answer

I use the methods that work for me. They might not always be the methods the experts recommend, but they're the ones I've learned to use, with good results. This is as true off the bike as on the bike.

This is not a judgement of whether your suggestions are right or wrong. That's not really the issue. Often, there are a number of ways to achieve the same end results.

I am more confused than ever now.  

Maybe, I just need to make an effort to be more agressive on left turns.  Which is intersting, because at the pump track, I suck going counterclock, I am all clockwise.  Maybe, because the way the track is set up, or because I learned that pump rhythm first and I am relearning the rhythm the other way.

:dontknow:  :scratch head:

I was going to ask if your typical pump track loop favored one direction over the other.  Are you free to ride it in whichever direction you like?  Does the terrain only lend itself to being ridden one way?  Is it busy enough that they regulate it - like CW for the first half of the hour, and CCW for the other half?

I do want to try this.

I wish that somebody would actually give some sort of answer too

but I think they are ashamed to admit that I was right all along

and for clarity, what I'm saying is that when we are on a bike our body's center of balance isn't exactly split right down the center line

nevermind why that is, it just is

so maybe somebody out there can talk about this

I was going to ask if your typical pump track loop favored one direction over the other.  Are you free to ride it in whichever direction you like?  Does the terrain only lend itself to being ridden one way?  Is it busy enough that they regulate it - like CW for the first half of the hour, and CCW for the other half?

I do want to try this.

It's a personal track that I ride at.  I do whatever the hell I want there.  No regulations.  It does favor more nascar style.  I'm gonna turn to the left, now.  HAHA

Well, there are some things to adhere to.  Be nice to the berms.  No climbing across it.  Help groom, water and sweep.  Don't ride it too wet.  

I'll be hitting a big professional style track in my very near future. Trip time here :

Cant wait!!!!   

• Heart 1

I wish that somebody would actually give some sort of answer too

but I think they are ashamed to admit that I was right all along

and for clarity, what I'm saying is that when we are on a bike our body's center of balance isn't exactly split right down the center line

Now you've changed your argument. This one I'll give you.

The heart being heavier, and causing us to unclip the left 1st is absolute bullshit.

Nate, I have no idea.  I think we all have skeletal issues and that everyone probably rides / walks / runs a bit differently.  I think that whatever compensation we make is on an individual level and much of it is instinctive based on how we learned to do things.

I have never had any formal cycling training, just did what felt right,   I remember getting fitted for clip less pedals after about 30 years of riding and the fitter commenting on how I was pedaling wrong.  Toe was always down.  Felt right to me and I still do it quite a bit.

Seat of pants, I would think that our dominant hand and our dominant eye would some how play into how we do things like corner on a bike.  We all have a stronger / weaker side and I think we compensate for that.

Key words to all of this are "I" and "think"

• Heart 1

I never said the heart was the heaviest organ in the body, just that it was denser than your lungs

You're right you never did say that.  You said "see for yourself that the human heart is offset to the left side.

its just weight distribution. You have to lean more to the right to get the same moment of force"  But it could be implied in what you said.  And what you didn't say was any reference to the lungs.  I'm still calling crap on whatever you learned about the heart have anything to do with your balance as it related to your center of gravity on a bike.

You've forgotten more about cycling than I will even know.  I'm just not sure you've forgotten the right things.

so maybe somebody out there can talk about this

I'm not sure how much a slight offset in the body's centre of balance would affect cornering. An offset which affects riding a bike should also affect the way we walk and the way we stand, yet the majority of us stand straight and don't lean noticeably to one side or the other when we walk. 

As jsharr mentioned earlier, the stronger and weaker sides of the body would likely play a role in tire wear.

(Please keep in mind I'm not a medical expert, so I could be wrong.)