Do you like it up or down?

Square Wheels

23 minutes ago, Further said:

I thought it was a very long shot until I saw  it happen 

...and???  Did you change your plugs in your house and office?  Did you meet with the county/state code experts to "fix" the codes?  Or did it just make you think he wasn't bat sheot crazy, but just a bit of an over-doer?

Most right angle power cords have the ground pin on the cord side so if you want your lamp cord to go straight to the floor you need the ground pin on the bottom.

On the other hand if your house was built before the code that did not permit outlets above the baseboard heaters you probably don't want to use right angle connectors as you have to keep cords away from the heaters.

31 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Down.  Down is the correct way.  

#settled

An electrician once told me “ground down , the world around” apparently some people don’t listen.😁

53 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and???  Did you change your plugs in your house and office?  Did you meet with the county/state code experts to "fix" the codes?  Or did it just make you think he wasn't bat sheot crazy, but just a bit of an over-doer?

I said “huh”. And reset the breaker 

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Zackny said:

An electrician once told me “ground down , the world around” apparently some people don’t listen.😁

Any qualified electrician with a duly stamped license knows that ground is down.  Whenever I walk into a room and I see otherwise the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  

And don't get me started on the position of the screw head slot on recept/switch plates...

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Any qualified electrician with a duly stamped license knows that ground is down.  Whenever I walk into a room and I see otherwise the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  

And don't get me started on the position of the screw head slot on recept/switch plates...

The little face is how we taught #1 to leave them alone. The little face is saying, “oh, no! Don’t touch.”  We practiced that a couple of times, and then didn’t have to plug them all with plastic childproofing. 

6 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Ground Pin Up or Ground Pin Down? - archtoolbox.com

I prefer down.

I prefer down, too. It's always seems to me the plug will stay in more firmly that way, due to the weight of the cord pulling down with most torque on the two thin, tightly gripped prongs instead of pulling down on one not-so-tightly gripped single prong.

6 hours ago, Further said:

A guy I worked for insisted on ground up.

His theory was the pin would protect the hot pins if something fell on them from above 

I thought it was a very long shot until I saw  it happen 

This!  I was sitting right beside one when it happened!  The metal cover plate fell and shorted that power right out. Spectacular!

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Nominated said:

Horizontal seem to draw the attention of my eye less, I prefer that.

What is drawing your attention is dirt and poor housekeeping. :whistle: Vertical stay clean where horizonal creates a shelf that traps and holds natural airborne dirt which accumulates as no one dusts the outlets.

12 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I forget, now. Are we talking outlets or toilet seats?

If the title had been "...on top or on bottom" rather than "...up or down", even with the illustration of the outlets, the topic discussion would be significantly different,