I don't like all the driving nannys on the SO's car

F_in Ray Of Sunshine

3 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I think all these new gadgets would drive me buggy.  Hope, we never need to buy another vehicle.

When I was taking my wife into Pittsburgh every morning I was amazed at how easily some people made lane changes in heavy traffic at high speed. I guess there are things that help with that on some of the newer cars. I worry about blind spots.

• Heart 2

Just now, sheep_herder said:

I think all these new gadgets would drive me buggy.  Hope, we never need to buy another vehicle.

The blind spot monitors I could live with, but the "LKAS - Lane Keep Assist System" was particularly annoying. I was passing a tractor trailer in the left lane on the interstate. I crowded the left line, just to give myself a little extra room. I wasn't even to the rumble strip, just on the yellow line and the thing was nagging me. If you need help keeping your car between the lines, it's a pretty good indicator that it's time to put the damned phone down.

The adaptive cruise was a nuisance, too. I set it for 74. I finally realized when I started to come up on a car in front of me, it was slowing down to keep pace with him. Uh, no. If I set 74, I want 74. If I come up on another car going slower, I will move left and go around him if I can or tap "cancel" and stay put until the passing lane is clear. 

I didn't test the collision avoidance system, but she did when she first got the thing. She said a car pulled out in front of her and when she went for the brake, it was already on. I suppose I could live with that.

Fortunately these "features" are all part of the enticement to get you to move up to a more expensive version on my truck and were just one of many things I didn't want. Saved money and annoyance.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I agree. Wo7 has a Mazda CX-5 with all the bells and whistles. Heads up driving display projects the speed, speed limit, and other shit on the windshield. I find that annoying. The car beeps when I’m too close to the car in front. Yes I see it. Once it slammed on the brakes as I was too close to a car that was taking all day to make a right hand turn. I wasn’t going to hit it! My Jeep on the other hand has the warm glow of the check engine light. No nanny chip there.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Our CX-5 has the blind spot protection. I do kind of like that. I normally see them before hand but there was an occasion where a car decided to pass me on the right on the interstate even though I was getting back in the right lane after passing. 
My boss has a newer Enclave with the adaptive cruise. He had to borrow my work Enclave one weekend. He almost rammed the car in front of him because my car wasn’t slowing down!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

She needed the truck to take Gus to the vet this morning, so I drove her CRV to work. I would rage hard and turn that crap off if I had to drive it all the time.

1) The CRV is too small to take an animal (dog?) to the vet and you need a truck to do it???  Even a Great Dane SHOULD fit in a CRV.

2) That stuff is ANNOYING. My rental RAV4 drove me ape-shit until I figured out how to disable the lane warnings.  It would always activate on sharp turns :(  But the cruise control - matching the car ahead of you, was nice - relatively - except that like many cruise control systems, it was heavy on the downshift/accelerations on hills.  

3) Sadly, we're all approaching the demographic that might be considered the prime one for all these safety doodads.  Distracted drivers and older drivers are the main reasons we want, have, and need these sorts of things in cars :( 

4) Can you easily turn the crap off semi-permanently?  I had to turn it off EACH time in the RAV4, but probably would have figured it out if I owned it.

I've never been a huge fan of the nannys. And I think drivers are beginning to rely on them too much so they can text. But I'd be lying if I said my mad driving skills are what they used to be. Our new CX 9 has all the nannys. And while driving it on a not so crowded expressway with miles of viability, I did my usual shoulder/mirror check, turned on my signal to pass some slower traffic, when the blind spot detector went ballistic. Some ninja on a sport bike shot past us at Ludicrous speed. I don't even know where he came from. The visibility in the CX is excellent. But Fran eliminated what could have been an unpleasant experience.

That being said, don't get me started on the lane departure warning in the Miata. I pay taxes for the whole lane, right up to the line. I'm going to use all of it. ;) 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

The blind spot monitors I could live with, but the "LKAS - Lane Keep Assist System" was particularly annoying. I was passing a tractor trailer in the left lane on the interstate. I crowded the left line, just to give myself a little extra room. I wasn't even to the rumble strip, just on the yellow line and the thing was nagging me. If you need help keeping your car between the lines, it's a pretty good indicator that it's time to put the damned phone down.

The adaptive cruise was a nuisance, too. I set it for 74. I finally realized when I started to come up on a car in front of me, it was slowing down to keep pace with him. Uh, no. If I set 74, I want 74. If I come up on another car going slower, I will move left and go around him if I can or tap "cancel" and stay put until the passing lane is clear. 

I didn't test the collision avoidance system, but she did when she first got the thing. She said a car pulled out in front of her and when she went for the brake, it was already on. I suppose I could live with that.

Fortunately these "features" are all part of the enticement to get you to move up to a more expensive version on my truck and were just one of many things I didn't want. Saved money and annoyance.

This expense thing is what bothers me the most.  I've been driving for almost 60 years without them and I really don't want to pay for them.

I will say this though.  I didn't want to pay for a backup camera either but it came standard on the IM and now I use it like they were there all my life.  The blind spot detector things seems like something I'd like too.

I suspect that if they were forced on this luddite that I could learn to use them as an addition to my regular driving skills.  As for passing people at 74.......plan ahead and pull out sooner.

41 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I suspect that if they were forced on this luddite that I could learn to use them as an addition to my regular driving skills. 

The blind spot indicators I could live with, as I could the collision avoidance, but the lane keeping was just annoying.  The truck I test drove had them and they were in the base of the mirror, inside the door. I liked that better than hers in the mirrors because I caught it earlier in the "turning the head" process. (Which was beat into me in MSF).

41 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

As for passing people at 74.......plan ahead and pull out sooner.

About when I was ready to, I'd stopped gaining on the guy because the CC had backed the speed down to 70. It screwed with my whole "am I gaining on this guy and should I pass him or our our speeds close and I'll just hang here?" process.

I only use cruise control as an anti speeding ticket device.  It requires a whole different mindset when driving in traffic and that is always going to be a pain in the ass.  I find using it too much makes me get bored and complacent and that's not a good combination when driving.

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

My 2013 base-automatic Honda Fit got slightly-whacked in the rear-end by a state cop in 2014 and I was given a new Ford Taurus with all the bells-and-whistles to drive until my Fit was repaired.

It was a pain in the ass - it was more of a hassle to operate than the 1996 Taurus I owned before the Fit.  The operations to choose mp3 music from my plugged-in USB drive was much more complicated and time consuming and required taking my eyes off the road much more than my Fit's user-friendly push-up-or-down arrows on a dashboard disk to advance a folder, push-right or left to go to the next or previous track.

The same complications for what should have been easy to do operations.  No wonder the Taurus went from the #1 car in America in 1996 to low sales by 2014!

I dunno I like all that safety shit.  My Subie has has the anti collision, lane warning and the fancy cruise control I like best.  Set it & forget it.   Car pulls in front of you, no worries the car slows you down. It then gets out of your way, no worries the car speeds back up.  

I had a few issues with the anti collision features but it’s helped me more than it’s been an annoyance.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

My truck has all that shit built in.  It's name is Jenny.  It only comes on when she's sitting in the passenger seat of my truck.

I have a Tammy.

She warns me that I'm driving too fast and telling me when to turn after we passed the intersection.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

In a few years... just wait for when the car drives you.  All of these safety systems are the beginning of autonomous driving.   I can't wait to see what happens in a blizzard (or heavy rain, of fog) when the car just stops because it can't find the road.  And then some guy in an old car (probably me) just drives by, hopefully not plowing into your car if it's parked in the lane of traffic. 

7 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

In a few years... just wait for when the car drives you.  All of these safety systems are the beginning of autonomous driving.   I can't wait to see what happens in a blizzard (or heavy rain, of fog) when the car just stops because it can't find the road.  And then some guy in an old car (probably me) just drives by, hopefully not plowing into your car if it's parked in the lane of traffic. 

At least in our cars,  all of the safety features people are grousing about here can be disabled with the push of a button.  

Too bad our wives safety functions can’t be disabled with a button when we drive.  My favorite is getting bitched at both when I give her directions (I know, I have lived here nearly 30 years!!!!) and when I don’t, (g damnit why didn’t you tell me I was about to miss my turn!?!?!) 😂

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

all of the safety features people are grousing about here can be disabled with the push of a button.  

Pretty sure it can be, and were it my car, some of them would be. Just makes me glad I didn’t go one tier up when I bought my truck or I’d have paid for stuff I didn’t use.

My old car doesn't have any of this fancy stuff.  I guess some could be useful and I could probably adjust,  but my Dad used to say the more bells and whistles you have on something the more it breaks down and I tend to agree with that.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Kirby said:

the more bells and whistles you have on something the more it breaks down

Funniest ones I’ve seen involve power door locks.

My dad had the ones on his station wagon go nuts while he was driving. He was going down the road with the locks locking and unlocking in sequence, round and round the car. 

I rode MTB with a guy who had an Explorer (?) with the push button combo locks on the door. At the trailhead, he chucked his keys inside and locked the door. When we got back, he pushed the combo and the doors unlocked...and then re-locked...then unlocked...then re-locked. Being the helpful guy that I am, I said “Cool, now not only are you locked out of your car, but your battery is eating itself....”

Car-ma got me a few years later. Took SO’s Escape to the car wash. Left keys and phone inside. Somehow, running the sponge over the buttons on the door pillar activated the lock....

• Haha 1