Dated light fixtures

petitepedal

Probably dictated by the other fixtures in the rooms?  Chrome = chrome. Brass = brass. Brushed nickel = brushed nickel????

I'd certainly go with something that readily uses LED bulbs.

Also, if you have easy access to your fusebox, you can likely easily do the changes yourself with few tools.  I replaced our outdoor fixtures, and the only headache is really working above your head.  Otherwise, it was a lot of just matching up wires.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Also, if you have easy access to your fusebox,

Fusebox?

And only one of those 3 wires is hot.  Shutting off the circuit is for sissies.  (that's why they invented light switches but even then).

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Fusebox?

And only one of those 3 wires is hot.  Shutting off the circuit is for sissies.  (that's why they invented light switches but even then).

You, sir, are actually CORRECT!  I forgot that I did just leave the light switch off when I replaced the ones outside! 

I do, though, turn off the power to the circuit when I change a light switch or an outlet, because I am a sissy about that for sure!

• Heart 1

It’s super easy to replace fixtures. Removing the fixture will reveal a thick wire with two live ends, a grounding wire, and a metal box or bracket to screw the fixture to. Even if you have three bulbs, there’s only one wire to connect the fixture. You put the live ends together, twist a little, then cover the live ends with plastic end caps. 
We had four can lights dropped into every ceiling. And then went to the local home improvement store to find chrome bathroom and hallway fixtures. Our design motif for these fixtures was whatever’s cheap.
We ordered the pendant online. Our living area  design is inspired by early industrial railroad station/school. It’s what we like looking at. This one attaches to a pre-existing can light. 

6F026421-F4A0-4693-9147-AAA6C20D14E1.jpeg

925EFF7F-7FE7-4024-A632-3CDE2B04F193.jpeg

BC962A69-E7D3-422C-9E8D-F797E9B87682.jpeg

• Awesome 1

Ours are all brushed nickel. Some were stupid expensive picked out with the designer. Some I really like for the hallways came from Costco about twenty dollars each and an exact match to the fancy expensive ones. 
one picture shows island lights and one over door plus if you look the fancy airplane propeller fan. Second picture is the nice yet inexpensive one. Last the guest bth. 

EE582894-6220-4844-9522-52D64B0A8C31.jpeg

9EC2D035-6B6B-489A-BF82-FB433064E76D.jpeg

6A5B4AA6-4ABD-4DCE-9EFC-30F1F81ECDE0.jpeg

• Awesome 1

6 hours ago, Kirby said:

They look like the ones I have, so I think they're perfect.  In 20 years people will pay extra for retro fixtures!

This is my philosophy on just aboot everything. :)  I love well-preserved old stuff, ever since I saw an old man ride his like-new Suzuki two stroke at an auto parts store. I decided I would one day be that old man, but the secrets of perfect maintenance seem to have eluded me. :(

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Philander Seabury said:

This is my philosophy on just aboot everything. :)  I love well-preserved old stuff, ever since I saw an old man ride his like-new Suzuki two stroke at an auto parts store. I decided I would one day be that old man, but the secrets of perfect maintenance seem to have eluded me. :(

Here is all you need for perfect maintenance

My Investment Goal? To Make A Big Pile Of Money! | Stoffer Wealth ...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd certainly go with something that readily uses LED bulbs.

All of our light bulbs are LED bulbs.  They use a lot less power.  

WoBG and I traveled to MANY places to look at lighting fixtures for our new home.   The bathroom lighting came from a small lighting store.  So did the large chandeliers.  We got discontinued models for the chandeliers, at a reasonable cheap price,  The guy want to just sell them.  We liked them... we both are happy. 

Menard's had lights we liked for our hallways.  And one light WoBG just loved because it was just like the one her mother had on the ceiling in the living room.  

Patriot Lighting® Harvest White 2-Light Semi-Flush Mount Ceiling Light

I remember asking the guy at the store how much for the light fixture.   He just told me 4.  Of course I was condition to looking at lighting at the specialty lighting shops, and I was 'How can this light possibly cost $400 dollars???'   The guy says... no 4 dollars.   opps...    WOBG laughed...  a lot... 

Yeah that light fixture is in our laundry room.  By far the cheapest light fixture we purchased.

You just need to go out and look at a LOT of light fixtures.  You won't know until you just spend the time and look (a lot).   Measure where you want new lights.   How much clearance from the ceiling, the wall, mirrors, cabinets, etc...   you'd be surprised how big (or small) some light fixtures are, and you can't tell if they will fit in the space you have or not when you are in the store.

• Heart 3

Our DIL is addicted to those home remodeling TV shows, and will often watch them while they are visiting. And more often then not, changing our 20 year old light fixtures comes up as they gang up (including the Mrs) to guilt me into "joining the 21st century" to replace our white light fixtures.  But I couldn't help but comment on their silence when the last show we watched changed the dark colored kitchen light fixtures, very similar to the ones our DIL recently had installed in their kitchen, to ones that were very similar to our 20 year old white fixtures. Their only argument was that if you wait long enough, everything comes back in style. Mine is that I'm thankful that I don't watch those home improvement shows to know how incomplete my life supposedly is. ;)

59 minutes ago, team scooter said:

Our DIL is addicted to those home remodeling TV shows, and will often watch them while they are visiting. And more often then not, changing our 20 year old light fixtures comes up as they gang up (including the Mrs) to guilt me into "joining the 21st century" to replace our white light fixtures.  But I couldn't help but comment on their silence when the last show we watched changed the dark colored kitchen light fixtures, very similar to the ones our DIL recently had installed in their kitchen, to ones that were very similar to our 20 year old white fixtures. Their only argument was that if you wait long enough, everything comes back in style. Mine is that I'm thankful that I don't watch those home improvement shows to know home incomplete my life supposedly is. ;)

Yeah - if you watch enough of those shows, you'll see the basic story line is to rip out the existing kitchen and bathrooms.  Regardless of the finishes in the kitchen - Corian, Granite, Marble, whatever, it is always "dated" and HAS TO GO!  Same with the  bathroom stuff.

It's all bullshit :D  Buy the stuff you like (even that $4 light fixture!) and focus on making your like better.  That's one reason I like the LEDs - likely not changing that "bulb" for another 10-20 years, and saving money with every use.

35 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

That's one reason I like the LEDs - likely not changing that "bulb" for another 10-20 years, and saving money with every use.

We are indeed saving money for the cost of power for the lights.

I have changed 3 LED bulbs already.  :angry:   The kind with the clear glass and individual filaments.    They were selected for the fixtures for how they looked in the fixture.

Sylvania TruWave 40/60/100W Equivalent A21 Soft White Dimmable LED Light Bulb

In all 3 cases the bulb was horizontal, the filaments are horizontal, and after 1 1/2 years they (not at the same time) started to flicker.  One or two of the individual filaments (not all of them) were turning on and off.  Or maybe I just got some bad bulbs.   

As long as they are good quality fixtures, I would leave them.  You can get LED replacement bulbs or tubes for just about anything.  those "modern" plastic fixtures with non-replaceable LED modules will not last 5 years, let alone 10, and while they may look "modern", they don't necessarily look good, especially when the next "modern" style 5 years from now is actually "retro" or art-deco.