Septic system checks out

Dottleshead

... but there is a new inspection fee of $299 for home owners looking to sell. $95 to dig up the lid and dude wanted $545 to pump it. Throw in about 9% sales tax and I can assure you my shit both stinks but it flows beautifully into the drain field. 

Gawd what a smelly, horrible job but man that guy just collected a $1000 bucks for an hour and a half work and his phone was ringing constantly.

• Heart 1

Geez, for only a little more, I just had a D-box and a 20’ run of Infiltrator installed. He also ripped a stump out and lugged it off to the brush pile.

I was pleasantly surprised that they showed up a couple days after I called. Any other time I’ve ever called to have any kind of work done, it’s like getting an audience with the Pope.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Geez, for only a little more, I just had a D-box and a 20’ run of Infiltrator installed. He also ripped a stump out and lugged it off to the brush pile.

I was pleasantly surprised that they showed up a couple days after I called. Any other time I’ve ever called to have any kind of work done, it’s like getting an audience with the Pope.

Pope's do not need septic systems.  They shit in the woods.  Or is that bears?  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I just divided the $1500 I just spent by the last 20 years that we’ve been septic trouble free.

$75/year

make sure you add in the eleventy hundred for the system replacement when it gets clogged up by TP after a swoiree on the back 40. Black tie & a band

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Are your pronouns swapped????

No

3 hours ago, Scrapr said:

make sure you add in the eleventy hundred for the system replacement when it gets clogged up by TP after a swoiree on the back 40. Black tie & a band

The soirées are on the east lot next to the trebuchet.  The snow covers the luscious lawn.  

I used to have the tank at my rental property pumped. Moron renters flushed all kind of stuff down there and clogged up the baffle. I never had to have my own tank pumped ever. I think I paid around $80. To have the renters tank pumped. I dug up the top of the tank and pulled off the lid.

• Heart 1

Don't you all use Powerful NT-MAX Super Shock Treatment  which completely eliminates clogs and sludge buildup in drain fields, cesspits, sand mounds, leach fields, cesspools, lateral lines, infiltrators and more. NT-MAX is safe and effective in all Aerobic and Anaerobic systems and will even restore failed drywell and grey water systems.  Why don't you use it?

Do you count on everything staying balanced? In a properly functioning system, all the bacteria that's needed to process waste is already there. Bacteria that aid our own digestion travel with waste into the tank, where they feed and reproduce. With each flush of solid waste, new colonies are added!" That being said, additives using bacteria and/or enzymes (like Roebic K-37) won't harm the system. 

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

Gawd what a smelly, horrible job but man that guy just collected a $1000 bucks

Things are expensive where you live.    I had to have my septic system 'inspected' and cleaned, and 'certified' before I could sell my old home.  And they made a repair in the tank (glad it wasn't me) to fix a broken baffle, they installed a pipe.  It cost me $330.   I did dig the hole and uncover the hatch.   (How does a baffle break in a sealed tank???) 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Things are expensive where you live.    I had to have my septic system 'inspected' and cleaned, and 'certified' before I could sell my old home.  And they made a repair in the tank (glad it wasn't me) to fix a broken baffle, they installed a pipe.  It cost me $330.   I did dig the hole and uncover the hatch.   (How does a baffle break in a sealed tank???) 

I think he took me. Neighbor guy said he knows a guy who pumps for $350. The inspection was probably a scam too but it was my first septic experience. Probably last.

12 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

And they made a repair in the tank (glad it wasn't me) to fix a broken baffle, they installed a pipe.  It cost me $330.   I did dig the hole and uncover the hatch.   (How does a baffle break in a sealed tank???) 

This is a baffling question!

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Frost heave/ground shift?

No, it's an internal baffle to prevent the top layer of scum (not related to anyone here) from directly entering the outlet pipe or even the inlet pipe.  It's just concrete connecting both sides of the tank, and it's open above and below the concrete.   Maybe... just 38 years of temperature changes and not the best concrete mix when they cast the tank.    Or LG was correct.  All I know is I don't own that tank anymore.

The fix... is to make a PCV pipe with a T similar to the outlet in this diagram.  That gets the new shit to go down below layer of scum.

image.png.fc8e605bbf1f3a157c6ac6b4d2559654.png

So the PVC pipe now looks like this.

How Your Septic System Works

15 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

That’s what I was getting at. Not talking plate tectonics, but the tank shifting/ settling may have put enough twist to break the connection.

Possibly...     most of the upper center section of the baffle was just gone.  Like the concrete mix turned back to stones and fell into the bottom of the tank.  

I didn't take pictures...  no evidence... and who would look at them..  (other than Dots)

I'm just glad they didn't have to replace the tank and the could use PVC pipe to fix it.   And I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to be the guy installing the pipe.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

That’s what I was getting at. Not talking plate tectonics, but the tank shifting/ settling may have put enough twist to break the connection.

Septic tanks don't freeze.  If they did it would be an issue.  I had a baffle cause backup in a previous new tank.  The baffle was at the entrance and was there to eliminate wash through from something like a toilet flushing or washing machine discharge (high volume of water).  It was too close to the entrance and caused solids to back up into the waste pipe.  The tank pump guy (called a honey dipper) broke out most of the front baffle.  Every tank I have seen had a center baffle that required solids to drop before moving to the discharge end of the tank.

1 hour ago, Bikeguy said:

Possibly...     most of the upper center section of the baffle was just gone.  Like the concrete mix turned back to stones and fell into the bottom of the tank.  

I didn't take pictures...  no evidence... and who would look at them..  (other than Dots)

I'm just glad they didn't have to replace the tank and the could use PVC pipe to fix it.   And I'm REALLY glad I didn't have to be the guy installing the pipe.

It's shitty work but pays well.