I feel like

Longjohn

Dope slapping an insurance broker?  When I retired four years ago I knew I had a pre-existing condition. I sought out an insurance broker that promised to get me the plan that was right for me. She sold me a plan that cost more than the plan I signed my wife up for and my wife has zero copays and zero deductibles. I just had a five minute cat scan with a $275 cow pay. Insurance agents are thieves. :angry:ew

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I just had a five minute cat scan with a $275 cow pay. Insurance agents are thieves. 

Argh!!!

The scary thing is that in some places, $275 pays COMPLETELY for a cat scan, not just the co-pay.  And I seriously doubt there is anything motivating insurance agents other than a sales commission and a bonus.  To my knowledge, they have no responsibility to look out for your best interests.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Dope slapping an insurance broker?  When I retired four years ago I knew I had a pre-existing condition. I sought out an insurance broker that promised to get me the plan that was right for me. She sold me a plan that cost more than the plan I signed my wife up for and my wife has zero copays and zero deductibles. I just had a five minute cat scan with a $275 cow pay. Insurance agents are thieves. :angry:ew

It is impossible to be a good consumer with medical expenses.  "Good consumer" defined as someone who make informed purchasing decision.  You have to read the policy, maybe Cat scans aren't covered or they're covered in some circumstances and not others  or the person taking the scan was 'out of network'.  There really is no good way of knowing ahead of time. 

You might be able to get the bill covered by simply submitting it to the insurance company.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

It is impossible to be a good consumer with medical expenses.  "Good consumer" defined as someone who make informed purchasing decision.  You have to read the policy, maybe Cat scans aren't covered or they're covered in some circumstances and not others  or the person taking the scan was 'out of network'.  There really is no good way of knowing ahead of time. 

You might be able to get the bill covered by simply submitting it to the insurance company.

Isn’t the private insurance to help cover the 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover?  So the actual cost is 5 times that?

12 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Isn’t the private insurance to help cover the 20% that Medicare doesn’t cover?  So the actual cost is 5 times that?

Plan C is Medicare disadvantage. They advertise the crap out of it on TV claiming it is better. It’s a scam, they take all your plan B money plus charge you more on top of that. Joe namouth pushes this plan 24/7 on the stations my wife watches. I’d like to dope slap him too. Plan F or G Medicare supplement is what you need to buy along with plan D to cover prescription drugs. I think plan F is no longer available but my wife is grandfathered in.

• Sad 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

Plan C is Medicare disadvantage. They advertise the crap out of it on TV claiming it is better. It’s a scam, they take all your plan B money plus charge you more on top of that. Joe namouth pushes this plan 24/7 on the stations my wife watches. I’d like to dope slap him too. Plan F or G Medicare supplement is what you need to buy along with plan D to cover prescription drugs. I think plan F is no longer available but my wife is grandfathered in.

See, it's just that simple :dontknow:

All these beautiful plans that help us all out. 

It's sort of crazy that when I talk to my mom, she sounds a lot like you with Plan B, Plan C, plan yada yada, and I just scratch my head and wonder if it is less complicated once you actually have to deal with it, because god knows I have no idea what she is talking about.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

See, it's just that simple :dontknow:

All these beautiful plans that help us all out. 

It's sort of crazy that when I talk to my mom, she sounds a lot like you with Plan B, Plan C, plan yada yada, and I just scratch my head and wonder if it is less complicated once you actually have to deal with it, because god knows I have no idea what she is talking about.

For a cut to the chase go with plan G. It covers all your hospital bills and doctor visits 100%. It can be used anywhere in the United States. No referrals needed. No networks. With it you will have to buy a separate drug plan, those all suck but are a necessary evil.

Medicare advantage plans (plan C) you have to stay in network. If you travel you are screwed. They have tons of so-pays and deductibles per year. The only people that benefit from them are the insurance companies. When you go off a private insurance when you retire all plans are required to accept you, pre-existing conditions or not. If you have a pre-existing condition and pick the wrong plan you are screwed. Other plans don’t have to take you so you are stuck with crappy insurance for the rest of your life.

9 minutes ago, Further said:

I am getting dozens of calls every week trying to sell me supplemental insurance, but I'm hoping to continue working for about 2 more years. When it gets closer I'll have to figure it out. I'm not looking forward to it.

I am aboot the same since my wife is two and a half years younger than me and doesn’t work outside the home. 

I just had a robo call from an insurance bot. Medicare i think. My friends just told me I am going to get lots of mail & calls for Medicare in the next year as I am turning 65  next year. First I asked "Mary" if she was a robot. She thought for a minute then laughed & said no of course snot. Do I sound that bad? Then she continued on with her pitch. I interrupted her. I asked her for her DOB. I was going to ask for her SS number next but she hung up on me  :angry:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scrapr said:

I just had a robo call from an insurance bot. Medicare i think. My friends just told me I am going to get lots of mail & calls for Medicare in the next year as I am turning 65  next year. First I asked "Mary" if she was a robot. She thought for a minute then laughed & said no of course snot. Do I sound that bad? Then she continued on with her pitch. I interrupted her. I asked her for her DOB. I was going to ask for her SS number next but she hung up on me  :angry:

I miss so much by not answering the phone. I am in  the same boat, almost 65. 

Some people I know, retired in their 80's and having had heart operations, problems with macular degeneration, hip problems, etc. are happy with their Medicare Advantage Plans but I don't know how much extra they're paying over Medicare B.

I have Medicare B and a near-Cadillac Carefirst/BCBS Medicare Supplemental including Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance where my monthly share is $165 and the Board of Ed's about $450 plus almost all of prescriptions.  Every day I figuratively pat my young self on the back for making the decision to leave a better-paying job as an industrial chemist - which had no pension - and taking a lower-paying job in teaching high school chemistry and physics.  The effective "delayed pay" of the pension and benefits has made retirement a lot less stressful than otherwise.

• Heart 2